Any suggestions for XLR interconnect between pre and power amp?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Okay, I saw the link. Cerious needs some search engine optimization. :)

$1,200 is more than I want to spend for now.

..X 50% right now in case you're interested

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
..X 50% right now in case you're interested

I have a $12,000 XLR that is 95% off right now. So not only does it sound better because it's more expensive (we encourage sighted evaluations so you know to pick the correct one) it's a better deal also.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Take a look at the new Shunyata Venom series. The price is in your range, and I would expect the same Shunyata price/performance ratio as with their other cables. I installed the Venom speaker cables a couple of months ago in my HT, and am very happy with the improved bass, and overall increase in low level detail and clarity that resulted.

http://www.shunyata.com/our-product...ignal/646-venom-ic#!Venom_XLR_Pack_WithCables

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I have a $12,000 XLR that is 95% off right now. So not only does it sound better because it's more expensive (we encourage sighted evaluations so you know to pick the correct one) it's a better deal also.

..great reply Jinjuku...nothing like a snarky post during the holidays. Now you have a merry one my friend!

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
..great reply Jinjuku...nothing like a snarky post during the holidays. Now you have a merry one my friend!

Some times the jest is lost in text. It was meant to be over the top response to a reply that was in and of itself a response to the OP saying he couldn't go that high $$ wise.

Lighten up.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Some times the jest is lost in text. It was meant to be over the top response to a reply that was in and of itself a response to the OP saying he couldn't go that high $$ wise.

Lighten up.

..lighten up? Will do but only if you do as well. I've read several of your posts and lightened hardly describes them. My reply to your smarta** post was appropriate so no need for me to lighten up on my part. Merry Christmas all the same..

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Make sure to order cables from a place with a full refund return policy. If they don't stand behind what they are selling then you may not want to get it from them.

10% restock fee is a no go for me.

Evaluate blind. Have someone put the cables in. Make your notes and find out after what you were listening to and line up the notes.

Have a great holiday.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..you have a merry Christmas as well

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Take a look at the new Shunyata Venom series. The price is in your range, and I would expect the same Shunyata price/performance ratio as with their other cables. I installed the Venom speaker cables a couple of months ago in my HT, and am very happy with the improved bass, and overall increase in low level detail and clarity that resulted.

http://www.shunyata.com/our-product...ignal/646-venom-ic#!Venom_XLR_Pack_WithCables

Yep, they are on the list. Big fan of the power cords and usb cable.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Mogami Gold. The entire premise behind CMNR cables is you don't need anything esoteric. It's all in the engineering standard.

Picked up a pair of Mogami Gold today. Still breaking in but not impressive so far.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Picked up a pair of Mogami Gold today. Still breaking in but not impressive so far.

Let me know when you want to try them blinded. I think you owe yourself that. As always I hope you purchased from a place with a good return policy.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Based on this thread, I ordered four Mogami Golds and replaced my Transparent Audio MusicLink another high-end XLR cable whose brand I don't recall. The new cables sound just like the old and are shorter and easier to manage in my rack. So I am happy. Thanks guys.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Let me know when you want to try them blinded. I think you owe yourself that. As always I hope you purchased from a place with a good return policy.

..these XLRs are less than $40. Doesn't that fit your argument about the folly of buying esoteric cables?

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
..these XLRs are less than $40. Doesn't that fit your argument about the folly of buying esoteric cables?

Can you please quote any argument I've made other than the the IEC 268-12 standard that XLR cables are ratified around?

I seem to recall typing that one should be honest about their evaluation and simply remove cognitive bias as best they can. I'm also sure I've haven't met anyone that could tell the Mogami apart from a pair of AQ/KK's and some ~$300 Kimbers when I had them listen blind.

The OP should purchase anything they are interested in from an outfit that has a 100% money back guarantee policy.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Order a pair of MonoPrice XLRs (~$10@) and compare to the Mogami and I guarantee you'll hear that the Mogamis are significantly better. As for beating the Mogamis, I'm convinced it can be done, but will take time and a lot of dollars.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Update: 15 hours in and the Mogamis are sounding better. Still, the Audio Research Litz cable in XLR is a bit better. Will keep burning in.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
P.S. A got a bit of discount...$60 for the pair, $30 each compared to $44 list for a 6 foot run.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'd put them up against about anything I've tried.

You have not steered me wrong before so I will keep on going with them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing