Name your favorite Oscar Peterson album.

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Seeing that there are a good deal of Oscar fans here, name your one favorite album.....yes only one:)

Mine would be Night Train.

In a recent interview, Diana Krall said that Oscar Peterson?s Night Train was the album that made her want to be a jazz pianist and specifically made her want to play with Ray Brown. That Ms. Krall achieved those goals and much more only adds to this album?s merits. Peterson seemed to hit commercial and artistic peaks at the same time, and the early sixties was one of those periods. The trio got tighter and more musical as the pressure for larger album sales increased from Verve, and sometimes the results were of the best trio in jazz playing dumbed-down songs to attract more listeners. While the worst offender was We Get Requests, Night Train has received its share of critical brickbats. However, the performance of the tune ?Night Train? may be evidence that Peterson could balance the two factions without compromising either side.

Since ?Night Train? is a blues, it would have been simple enough to just blow through a few choruses and call it done. But Peterson devised a marvelous arrangement instead, one so subtle that it?s easily missed by casual listeners. After the opening theme choruses, Peterson slips into a 2-chorus solo. Then the theme returns, and we realize that all the while, the band has gotten softer and softer. This leads into Brown?s solo, which is unaccompanied to start, and then adds, in turn, Peterson and Thigpen. When Peterson comes in for another chorus of solo, everything starts to build again. Peterson plays a boogie figure in the bass to build the intensity, and then the trio plays a simple but effective shout chorus and then goes back to the theme with a strong crescendo to nearly the end, with a traditional Count Basie tag to close the track. By using the basic elements of crescendo and diminuendo, and arranged sections to set off the parts, Peterson turns what could have been a throwaway into a minor masterpiece.

Reviewer: Thomas Cunniffe

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Steve beat me to it. We Get Requests is my fave.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Two great ones to be sure. All of the trio recordings with Ed Thigpen and Ray Brown are for me, must haves. I have most of them, just missing one an ommision I need to remedy, and will soon. That being said, I love the Plays Jerome Kern Songbook. I play that one a few times a week.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oscar Peterson Plays the Cole Porter Song Book for me

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Another vote for ' We Get Requests '

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Nice to see a OP music thread, but I think it should be moved to the Jazz music forum.

I have all of the albums mentioned above.

My favorite OP is Nigerian Marketplace a 1981 live album. OP is accompanied by Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and Terry Clarke. Recorded at the 1981 Montreux Jazz Festival.

Had the pleasure of hearing OP at the Lincoln Center. He played a blazing opening set for Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald. When the Count sat down at the piano OP just used, he said "these keys are hot."

Reactions: musicfirst1

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
pheww....was starting to think I was the only one with Night Train:b

Naw....I have it as well. The Speakers Corner reissue is quite nice!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Night Train was my first Oscar Peterson album and i was hooked. MPS, Exclusively for My Friends is probably my favorite.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
1 more for WGRequests....

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
My favorite is The Sound of the Trio. The CD has a great version of Scrapple from the Apple that's not on the original LP from decades ago. I generally don't like Oscar Peterson that much, but I always liked The Sound of the Trio from the first time I heard it long ago.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing