Hello from Atlanta Georgia area

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi there,

I realized I have yet to introduce myself! I am a music lover born and raised. I mainly listen to classical, latin, and pop music with a spattering of jazz and rock. I have managed to start with $200 in my stereo in 2008 and now have the system listed below. Currently my wife and I are living in a rental home but hopefully we will be in our own place soon and I cannot wait for what changes that can make to my system (a dedicated music room). I am actually planning to sell my amps and preamp to switch out for a Devialet and JL system so I can put money towards that house! Hopefully I don't cry if/when that happens but I can always rebuild.

System:
Speakers:
Pipedream Reference 18 speakers w/ barrel subs (probably going to put the subs in storage and use a pair of JL F112 subs)
Amplification:
VAC Renaissance 140 monoblocks on towers
Crown XLS 2000 on subs
Preamplification:
VAC Signature Mk II w/phono
Analog:
VPI HR-X turntable w/ VPI SDS, & Van den Hul Colibri XGW cartridge
Digital:
Lumin T1 Server w/ Lumin L1 NAS
Cables:
Combination of Transparent Reference, Ultra, and Verrastar (plans to change)

I am sure I will have fun on this forum. Talk to you soon!

Best regards,
Stephen

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve and a warm welcome to WBF

My good friend and fellow member "marty" uses the Pipedream Reference 18 speakers with a pair of JL Audio Gotham subs and it is amongst the best systems I have ever heard

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello Stephen and welcome to the forum. Nice to see you have the right priorities putting home ownership ahead of audio ownership :).

Speaking of Atlanta, I once had a executive business meeting there. Lunch time comes and they drive us to suburbs to a diner. I am surprised as for this kind of business lunch the routine is some high-end restaurant, not a diner. We walk in and it is this massive restaurant and open kitchen. We proceed to get our trays just like a cafeteria and fill it with turkey and sides. I sit down and still thinking the meeting must have gone poorly for them to have taken us to such a "low-end" restaurant. I put one bite in my mind and I was shocked. It was incredibly tasty! Even the sides like corn and mashed potato were out of this world. I shared my positive reaction with the host and they said this was one of the top places to have southern food in Atlanta. Alas, it was years and years go and I don't recall the name but boy, did it turn out to be a great meal.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Something to be said for Southern hospitality! I'm pretty new to Georgia. I use to live in the Ohio Valley. Glad your trip was a good one and if you head down to Atlanta again, feel free to send me a message! I know of some good taco stands and a great Italian restaurant. I'm going to the Nutcracker and a Brazilian steakhouse tonight. Should be fun!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the invite. Likewise drop me a line when you find yourself at this opposite of our country :).

Brazilian steakhouses can be amazing. I am sure you will have an enjoyable time there.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Quite a system !! Thanks for posting it ! hope dinner and music is great :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You have an impressive system. I would be very prudent going Devialet - I have been using the D400 it for a few months and found that it is no substitute for tubes. Besides it can become an expensive system in the long term - IMHO it needs really expensive sources, cables and power conditioners to sound like high-end. ;)

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I am not really looking for a long term substitution going from VAC. I am more looking for an enjoyable temporary substitute. I like to think my cables are pretty high end, and I am looking at using an Auralic Aries as my streamer (instead of my Lumin) and will still be running my VPI HR-X w/ Van den Hul. The power conditioners / power cables I will probably need to upgrade, but that would stay upgraded once I upgrade back to what I have now. I think having a permanent sound room will help too! :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Atlanta from Charlotte!!! I go down there every once in a while.....would love to listen your fine rig. Of course, you would be welcome at any time to listen to mine as well. In the audiophilia world, you are basically my neighbor. Charlotte is a dried up city when it comes to audio.....and they don't know what they are missing!

Tom

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I think the audiophile scene in general is drying up or we are all in hiding.

Hello Atlanta from Charlotte!!! I go down there every once in a while.....would love to listen your fine rig. Of course, you would be welcome at any time to listen to mine as well. In the audiophilia world, you are basically my neighbor. Charlotte is a dried up city when it comes to audio.....and they don't know what they are missing!

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I don't know Marty....I have many an audio buddy down in Hotlanta and I do believe that there are about 10-12 members here that post somewhat often that are also in or near the Atlanta area. In the Charlotte area? I think I'm a lone wolf on this forum. A former moderator used to live here...and not too far away from me either....but as soon as I became a mod years ago, he moved. Go figure.

One of these days, I would like to have a "local" audio club. Whether "local" be DC, Hotlanta, Knoxville, Nashville.....you name it. One learns from experiencing great rigs in a home environment. Sure as heck beats auditioning a component or system at a show. ;)

Please accept my apologies Mr. Stephen Volker for the off topic post(s).

Tom

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Tom I think we should start a southeastern audiophile society. What do you think? Shake the trees to find everyone in the NC, SC areas. I am game.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I'm game fo' sho' and without reserve. ;)

Let's take this to another thread or PM.

Once again, Mr. Volker....my apologies for an off topic post. This is your welcome to the WBF thread.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

Tom

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Welcome Stephen. My apologies for the sidetrack.

Marty

Hi there,

I realized I have yet to introduce myself! I am a music lover born and raised. I mainly listen to classical, latin, and pop music with a spattering of jazz and rock. I have managed to start with $200 in my stereo in 2008 and now have the system listed below. Currently my wife and I are living in a rental home but hopefully we will be in our own place soon and I cannot wait for what changes that can make to my system (a dedicated music room). I am actually planning to sell my amps and preamp to switch out for a Devialet and JL system so I can put money towards that house! Hopefully I don't cry if/when that happens but I can always rebuild.

System:
Speakers:
Pipedream Reference 18 speakers w/ barrel subs (probably going to put the subs in storage and use a pair of JL F112 subs)
Amplification:
VAC Renaissance 140 monoblocks on towers
Crown XLS 2000 on subs
Preamplification:
VAC Signature Mk II w/phono
Analog:
VPI HR-X turntable w/ VPI SDS, & Van den Hul Colibri XGW cartridge
Digital:
Lumin T1 Server w/ Lumin L1 NAS
Cables:
Combination of Transparent Reference, Ultra, and Verrastar (plans to change)

I am sure I will have fun on this forum. Talk to you soon!

Best regards,
Stephen

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Tom I think we should start a southeastern audiophile society. What do you think? Shake the trees to find everyone in the NC, SC areas. I am game.

I'm 140 miles east of Atlanta, so maybe it's doable for me.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I am all for finding some audiophiles in the area! I am incredibly sad to be listing the VAC equipment for sale, but I figure as mentioned before that I can rebuild if I want to cry after auditioning the Devialet. If anyone knows anything else in the same price range that will make me smile I am up for that! If you can get here before it sells you are more than welcome to have a listen. The turntable and speakers aren't going anywhere!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing