Star Wars VII!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi!

So, anyone seen it yet? Just got back from the movies, and it's better than I expected!
Far less "visual" than I-III, with not nearly as many fancy CGI, and a lot less childish too. IMHO, it's a true hommage to the original trilogy, with blatant and not-so-obvious references scattered throughout.
Acting overall was OK, with some overacting here and there. The new faces did well, I think, and the old folks did extremely well, specially Han/Harrison Ford.
I liked it, can't wait for Ep. VIII! When is that due?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Rogue 1, a side story, comes out next year.

Yes it has the feel of IV - VI. It's a real sequel. Abrams can relax now. Disney too. Looks like their 4B acquisition of Lucasfilms is safe.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I thought it was incredible!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
See it in 3D if you can; also see if you can spot Daniel Craig's cameo. The movie has a lot of funny moments as well.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Saw it yesterday....

meh....

Just one additional movie in the Franchise .. Predictable and derivative... Down to the same long bridge where Luke dealt with his father Darth Vader .. Another person wearing a mask but this one for no particular reason ...
One problem I still can't get my head around.. Why do the trooper wears this so-easy-to-breach armor? .. Just one shot and they're down ... In this movie some of the trooper actually spilled a little bit of blood

A great movie IMHO it wasn't ..

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
See it in 3D if you can; also see if you can spot Daniel Craig's cameo. The movie has a lot of funny moments as well.

According to JJ Abrams only a few people around the world will get to see the movie in the best possible format.

It’s gonna be on nearly 4,000 screens domestically, but only a small number of those are in the ideal formats. According to JJ Abrams only a few people around the world will get to see the movie in the best possible format. It’s gonna be on nearly 4,000 screens domestically, but only a small number of those are in the ideal formats. You see, director J.J. Abrams shot at least one scene of the film in full screen, 70mm IMAX, meaning IMAX is undoubtedly the best way to see the movie. But it’s not as simple as just going to an IMAX theater.

Of the nearly one thousand IMAX screens across the world showing The Force Awakens, a large percentage of them are just a standard digital projection. A large percentage of those have a smaller aspect ratio. All of them will look or sound absolutely great but they aren’t the best way to see the film, according to Abrams. Nor is it the format he shot in.

“As someone who really hasn’t been the most vocal advocate of 3D, the strangest thing happened to me on this,” Abrams told The Associated Press. “When I was watching the reels in 3D, there were a number of shots — and I know this sounds insane — that I hadn’t understood in the three-dimensional space quite the way I did when I saw them in 3D. I actually felt that there were things that were playing better in 3D. I had never felt that before. And if people have access to a theater that has laser projection, it is shockingly better.”

“You cannot compare a traditionally projected image with a laser image,” he continues. “The blacks are true blacks. It’s almost as if you have to adjust to it.”

Laser projection is the next evolution in digital projection. In the projector, about 100 lasers shoot off almost a million tiny mirror to create an image that’s 60% brighter than traditional film projection. (Film itself is usually brighter than digital if shown correctly). It just creates a better picture overall in both 3D and 2D.

However, laser is a young technology. Only 7 theaters in North America and 7 theaters internationally will be showing Star Wars with 3D IMAX Laser projection. In North America there’s TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX – Hollywood, AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX – San Francisco, AMC Universal CityWalk Stadium 19 & IMAX – Universal City, Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theatre, Jordan’s Furniture Reading – Reading, Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX – Toronto, Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly, Boeing IMAX and the Pacific Science Center – Seattle

Internationally there’s the IMAX, Melbourne Museum – Australia, Event Cinemas Queen Street IMAX – New Zealand, VOX Cinemas & IMAX - UAE, Cinestar Berlin & IMAX - Germany,Filmpalast AM ZKM IMAX - Germany, Empire Leicester Square IMAX – United Kingdom and Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX – United Kingdom.

And even though Abrams advocates laser, he didn’t shoot the film digitally or in 3D. He shot it on film and in 2D. So maybe you want to see the movie in that format. However, only 15 theaters in North American and 2 internationally are showing the film in 70mm film, 2D IMAX.

Those are the McWane Center IMAX Dome Theatre – Birmingham, IMAX, U.S. Space & Rocket Center – Huntsville, Hackworth IMAX Dome, The Tech Museum – San Jose, Museum of Discovery & Science AutoNation IMAX – Ft. Lauderdale, IMAX Dome, Museum of Science & Industry – Tampa, IMAX, Indiana State Museum - Indianapolis, Blank IMAX Dome, Science Center of Iowa – Des Moines, Branson’s IMAX, Entertainment Complex – Branson, St. Louis Science Center OMNIMAX Theatre – St. Louis, Tuttleman IMAX, The Franklin Institute– Philadelphia, Kramer IMAX, Saskatchewan Science Centre - Regina, Lockheed Martin IMAX, National Air & Space Museum - Washington DC, Omni Fort Worth Museum of Science & History – Fort Worth then internationally, the LG IMAX, Darling Harbour – Sydney, Australia and The Science Museum - London, England.[/COLOR]

So, basically, there are 29 theaters worldwide showing Star Wars: The Force Awakens either in the format Abrams shot in, 70mm 2D IMAX, or the format he advocates, 3D IMAX Laser.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Saw it today and loved it. My favorite of the original trilogy was Empire Strikes Back which I still keep a laserdisc. In those days the picture was rather blurred and hazy and today as a modern day sequel everything was perfect, from picture to sound. I would have wanted to see it on 3D Imax but it's too long for such endeavor. The ending scene was one big cliffhanger and John Williams' music added so much 'grip' to it. Can't wait for the next. Bring it on, quick!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I saw it Saturday night on a trip to NYC. 11:00 pm showing, nearly empty theater. The theater was attached to the hotel, it was after the Chris Botti concert we attended so I thought why not. I saw the original the day it opened in 1977. I enjoyed it no doubt, but can't say that I LOVED it. It is no where near as good as some of the reviews I have seen. JJ simply took the original story and made some minor tweaks. I must say I was rather surprised at the total lack of originality. I guess the same things keep happening over and over in a galaxy far, far away. BTW, when did people start to smoke weed at theaters?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Saw it last night. A few comments for context:

Firstly: Episode IV: A New Hope was the first film I ever saw. I had the books, the toys, the colouring-in books, the read-along books and the cassettes (this was pre-VHS, remember). I think Kershner’s Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (co-written by Kasdan who returns here) is still the crown jewel of the original trilogy, with one of cinema’s most devastating third-act twists, and one of the most fully-realised worlds in Hoth. However, repeated viewing of the originals, as well as the 20th Anniversary editions revealed Lucas’s genius in convincingly rendering worlds beyond ours, and his weakness in filling those worlds with dialogue, characters, pacing and themes that were hokey at best and embarrassing at worst. Lucas’s three prequels I-III revealed how much those weaknesses were still present in him as a writer and director, especially in the absence of Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher’s ability to take fairly one-dimensional characters and subvert them with ad-libs and off-script attitudes.

Secondly: I like J.J. Abrams. I especially like what he did with the Star Trek reboots, with enough of the original spirit present without slavish adherence, and enough irreverence without turning toward parody. Admittedly, I was never much of a Trekkie, and the lens flares still bug the crap out of me.

So, to The Force Awakens…

I was willing to see it with open eyes, understanding that the zeitgeist has moved on, and we’ve seen too many great sci-fi films since the original trilogy in which any expectations should be contextualized (Alien, Aliens, Bladerunner, The Terminator, The Abyss, Primer, Wall-E and Ex Machina are all films I rate more highly than any of the Star Wars films).

Unfortunately, mine - low as they were - remained underwhelmingly unmet. Same mawkish sentiments. Same banal dialogue (some of it lifted directly from previous instalments). Same lack of character development. Same awkward performances. Same daddy-issues. Same plot points. Same large, round thing that destroys planets with a beam of energy (though this one is called "Starkiller Base", of all things, which - surprise , surprise - needs to be destroyed by flying X-Wing's down to it's surface through trenches). And some just plain unfortunate casting - Daisy Ridley’s greatest talent seems to be imitating Keira Knightly, Adam Driver neither elicits neither sympathy nor fear, and John Boyega seems to be channeling Shia LaBeouf’s turn in Transformers. Combined with some odd characterizations (Snoke, Maz Kanata), and weird framing choices (too far away or too close) with a reliance on practical effects that don’t quite seem as richly realised as the originals, I found even the dramatic third-act plot twist unconvincing.

Is it “better” than I-III? I’d say yes, easily. Is it “better” than IV-VI? Maybe, but for me it neither transcends them nor reimagines them sufficiently to warrant repeat viewing. It’s a bit like seeing your favourite band from the 80’s reform, but with a few new members and a few new songs. That great single they released is still great, but the rest of the set only reminds you of why the single was the only track you ever listened to.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
JJ simply took the original story and made some minor tweaks.
I saw an interview with him and it was clear that he was petrified of changing anything and have that be the reason to fail. So it makes sense that he did not mess with the force :).

This will be the first movie we will go and see in theaters since Avatar. Waiting for crowds to die down.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I saw an interview with him and it was clear that he was petrified of changing anything and have that be the reason to fail. So it makes sense that he did not mess with the force :).

Abrams, master of distracting lens flares ...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

This will be the first movie we will go and see in theaters since Avatar. Waiting for crowds to die down.

Exactly why the movie was weak- he played it safe. and the more I think about it, the worse it gets. its just A New Hope reincarnated with little imagination unlike his superb Star Trek reboot. and Carrie Fisher was terrible!

I actually think Episode VIII will be much better as the focus will be more on the new characters and after the transformation to a more Darth Vader villain. Overall I'm not sure Episode VII is as good as any of the original trilogy- although there were comforting moments like the excellent droid. It was a decent, but not exceptional film like IV and V.

I honestly think the media reviews intentionally gave JJ a pass on this one. This "had" to succeed for such a large franchise.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just saw the last Star Trek again and I agree that he did a superb job of refreshing everything but keeping everything connected to the past. An emotional Spock with a girlfriend? Who would have thought that would work. Doing the same with Star Wars required not having the pressure of $4B disney spent on Lucas Films. Still, since it did not stink, we will go and see it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just saw the movie yesterday. I must admit, it was just a grade above average. Abrams is far more capable of this. Clearly he was read the riot act to play this one safe. He accomplished that mission by restarting the franchise for Disney.

It was an enjoyable time with my wife who liked it more than I did. But nothing like the originals where you wanted to go see them over and over again.

With the reboot out of the way, let's hope the next episode is more daring.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing