Superstream setup guide

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
My official HQplayer setup post

Here's some screenshots of my recommended settings for DSD resampling.

-If your DAC can only do PCM, set the PCM defaults to the max resolution your DAC supports. The example in the screenshots are for DSD 256.

-Lower the SDM defaults down to 5644800 if your DAC only supports a max DSD 128, and 2822400 if your DAC only supports a max of DSD 64.

-Under SDM pack, "None" means your DAC supports native DSD streaming on Linux, and DoP means your DAC only supports DoP on Linux. If your DAC supports both on Linux, always use "None" as it sounds better.

-Very important to check DirectSDM in DSDIFF/DSF settings. If you don't, the audio goes through an extra layer of filtering. Some may prefer this, as it may take a bit of edge off lower end DAC's, but for me it's just an additional veil over the sound.

-If resampling to DSD, the PCM defaults don't matter.

-Pipeline SDM takes advantage of multiple cores. This helps performance with quad core plus CPU's.

-Set max vol to -3db as it ensures no digital clipping when resampling to DSD.

-Cuda offload is to take advantage of using the GPU's in Nvidia Cuda cards to aid in processing. If you have a server with Cuda compatible video card, you might want to check this.

-Setting the buffer time to 250ms, ensures rock solid buffering in the streamer.

-Dac bit's are based on your DAC's DAC chip.

Just think of these settings as a baseline, and tweak from here. The oversampling filters with -2 beside them are for if you have a weak CPU, they don't sound as good, but will allow weaker computers to work with the resampling.

Another thing, make sure the right filters/modulators are selected on the main screen before playback like in the screenshots, not just defaults.

HQplayer #1.jpg HQplayer #2.jpg

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Excellent! No problem.

But are you using the optical? How about ultra clean power supply powering the streamer side FMC and Streamer? These are huge. I found the optical degraded sound without clean power.

And yes play with the settings on hqplayer, they all affect tonal balance. What settings are you using now? My recommended settings were for the DAC's I have experience with. Might be different with yours.

No optical yet. Still waiting to receive the fibre optical cable and the iFi (for streamer side FMC). And I'm just using the stock power for the streamer (didn't want to fork out an additional $369 until I knew I liked this setup).

As for settings, I was just using the polysinc -2s & DSD5v2. I will play around with other -2s versions and try DSD7.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No optical yet. Still waiting to receive the fibre optical cable and the iFi (for streamer side FMC). And I'm just using the stock power for the streamer (didn't want to fork out an additional $369 until I knew I liked this setup).

As for settings, I was just using the polysinc -2s & DSD5v2. I will play around with other -2s versions and try DSD7.

Yes the -2 filters might be part of the reason for the thin sound. Maybe install version 3.11 until Jussi updates HQplayer to be less CPU demanding of your server. Poly-sinc-short-mp will work fine with version 3.11.

Trust me the upgraded supplies are a massive upgrade in sound. I really realized it the other day when I re-connected the cheap SMPS supplied with the NUC after listening with the LPS for a few months.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Have you been able to successfully download it? I haven't... seems like the site is busy busy busy!

Yes did last night. Just tried again and download started coming in fast. Not sure why you are having problems.

Works so smooth now. Even doing Poly-sinc-short-mp, DSD5v2 and DSD 256 with my tiny little I3 NUC!

Your computer will handle the Poly-sinc-short-mp, DSD5v2 and DSD 128 like nothing now.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yes did last night. Just tried again and download started coming in fast. Not sure why you are having problems.

Works so smooth now. Even doing Poly-sinc-short-mp, DSD5v2 and DSD 256 with my tiny little I3 NUC!

Your computer will handle the Poly-sinc-short-mp, DSD5v2 and DSD 128 like nothing now.

Hmm, strange. I'm getting just a couple K a second... e.g. 10 hour download and it keeps crapping out. Tried on multiple computers but my internet connection seems find (and as fast as usual).

I do hope this update fixes the half-speed but I've been experiencing (music playing very slow at low pitch - much like 45 rpm LP at 33 rpm). Happens every 10th song or so - have to kill HQPlayer and restart it to fix it.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hmm, strange. I'm getting just a couple K a second... e.g. 10 hour download and it keeps crapping out. Tried on multiple computers but my internet connection seems find (and as fast as usual).

I do hope this update fixes the half-speed but I've been experiencing (music playing very slow at low pitch - much like 45 rpm LP at 33 rpm). Happens every 10th song or so - have to kill HQPlayer and restart it to fix it.

Are you downloading from the main HQplayer page where is says 3.12 desktop?

Hqplayer.png

http://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

If it doesn't say 3.12, just refresh your browser. Should work smooth now with your computer. My dual core i3 NUC has much less power, and works fine with it. With the I7 4790, 25-35% CPU load with poly-sinc-short-MP, DSD5v2, and DSD 256.

Here's my I7 4790 server. It's Canadian dollars. Works out to $506 USD.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=af0a973eb4f1021fe8e7a751feee0612en02

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Are you downloading from the main HQplayer page where is says 3.12 desktop?

View attachment 24460

http://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

If it doesn't say 3.12, just refresh your browser. Should work smooth now with your computer. My dual core i3 NUC has much less power, and works fine with it. With the I7 4790, 25-35% CPU load with poly-sinc-short-MP, DSD5v2, and DSD 256.

Here's my I7 4790 server. It's Canadian dollars. Works out to $506 USD.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=af0a973eb4f1021fe8e7a751feee0612en02

Yup, same page, same link.
Capture.JPG

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Hi Mike,

I wonder if it is worth considering iSCSI for your NAA, either through Windows or Linux.

Re. HQPlayer setup, personally I have 6dB gain enabled for DSD. This is to keep DSD level in line with PCM and it must be coupled with Vol Max at -3dB.
Indeed, a friend of mine has measured 100s of SACDs and many clip badly.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Mike,

I wonder if it is worth considering iSCSI for your NAA, either through Windows or Linux.

Re. HQPlayer setup, personally I have 6dB gain enabled for DSD. This is to keep DSD level in line with PCM and it must be coupled with Vol Max at -3dB.
Indeed, a friend of mine has measured 100s of SACDs and many clip badly.

Hi Bibo,

I suppose it could be tried. Although It would just make it more complicated to setup from people. Not sure if it would sound better either. The USB stick is on it's own dedicated USB 3 bus. So it's not causing any extra noise in the USB 2 controller chip that's dedicated for the DAC. But I suppose I could try for fun. However I haven't ever done it so will need to figure it out.

With my setup, I keep it on DSD 256 full time, and the level is fine with my DAC. But other can try that if they feel the DSD isn't loud enough.

By the way guys, Bibo is an authorized HQplayer reseller. He can give you a better deal than buying from the HQplayer website. So let him know if you need a copy :)

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Hi Bibo,

I suppose it could be tried. Although It would just make it more complicated to setup from people. Not sure if it would sound better either. The USB stick is on it's own dedicated USB 3 bus. So it's not causing any extra noise in the USB 2 controller chip that's dedicated for the DAC. But I suppose I could try for fun. However I haven't ever done it so will need to figure it out.

With my setup, I keep it on DSD 256 full time, and the level is fine with my DAC. But other can try that if they feel the DSD isn't loud enough.

By the way guys, Bibo is an authorized HQplayer reseller. He can give you a better deal than buying from the HQplayer website. So let him know if you need a copy :)
Well, I suppose that in the case of a Linux NAA, an iSCSI image could be distributed directly for your motherboard and put it on a NAS for loading.
...This is all hypothetical thinking :)

BTW, are you using Windows or AudioLinux on NAA?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Well, I suppose that in the case of a Linux NAA, an iSCSI image could be distributed directly for your motherboard and put it on a NAS for loading.
...This is all hypothetical thinking :)

BTW, are you using Windows or AudioLinux on NAA?

I may try :)

I worked with Piero to make a custom version of Audiolinux. Then set it up for zero config plug and play for the Nuc 3815. Even added an airplay receiver that seamlessly takes over from the NAA if HQplayer is closed. Works pretty slick :) Did you not see this thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19221-Streamer-to-kill-the-big-boys-for-under-250

This is what this thread is for. The setup guide.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
I may try :)

I worked with Piero to make a custom version of Audiolinux. Then set it up for zero config plug and play for the Nuc 3815. Even added an airplay receiver that seamlessly takes over from the NAA if HQplayer is closed. Works pretty slick :) Did you not see this thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19221-Streamer-to-kill-the-big-boys-for-under-250

This is what this thread is for. The setup guide.

I saw the thread but, I admit, I went from page 2 to 28-end :)

I suppose I was among the initial promoters of AudioLinux. :cool:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
eheheheh

Do you remember the Fitlet?
Pity that they discontinued the Fitlet-B ...probably too cheap at $140
Now the entry level Fitlet-I is $246

Yes I was planning on buying some, but sadly discontinued. Yeah $246 plus shipping. I think it's overkill for NAA/AirPlay on command line Linux :)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
eheheheh

Do you remember the Fitlet?
Pity that they discontinued the Fitlet-B ...probably too cheap at $140
Now the entry level Fitlet-I is $246

Yeah, I was waiting on that too.

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Mike - is there an easy way to rename the NAA computer so that it makes more sense in a multi-NAA environment? I'm starting on my 2nd and 3rd build for two other, more basic systems and would like to name them something like "bedroom" and "living room" so my wife has an easier time of it.

Also, you mentioned at some point that the NUC can take a 12 to 24 V DC feed? Does it make more sense to target the middle of the voltage range or to look at the Teddy Pardo 12V/4.5A PS rather than the 12V/2A PS?

Thanks,

Jordan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing