A Visit to AudioArts - NYC to hear CH Precision - FM Acoustics - Zellaton

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Ralph, Did you try the M1 stereo in your system as well as the A1? I understand it is indeed a beast.
Kinch, the L1 is super. As with other ch units, the L1 can trim gain. In it's case, you can trim gain independently for each input. In my case, c1, p1, tuner, R2R are trimmed to match pretty closely.
Btw, ch just updated firmware on all units as well as a new updated android app. P1 settings are now controllable via the app.
The guys at ch really are tech marvels!
Chris

Hi Chris. I heard the M1 at AudioArts with a C1. I did not hear it in my system. Gideon and I discussed M1 vs A1 and he felt that the A1 would drive my Wilson Alexia with no issues and meet my needs. He was right. Gideon believes the M1 would be a potential future upgrade path but the results thus far with the D1/C1/A1/X1 are so superb I can't get my mind around it. The M1 impressed me though. Dynamic capabilities seemed limitless. With speakers of lower effiency, the stereo M1 would be the better choice.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Apologies for cross-posting this in the Cables forum as well.
Any Schnerzinger users? In addition to uber high-end cables, they make unique devices, (gigahertz protectors?), to reduce interfering fields.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/02/schnerzinger-cable-galore-audioarts-nyc.html?m=1

Ron, now that you are reviewing for M&S, any insights into this gear?
Out of my reach but drool-worthy

Last edited:

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Apologies for cross-posting this in the Cables forum as well.
Any Schnerzinger users? In addition to uber high-end cables, they make unique devices, (gigahertz protectors?), to reduce interfering fields.
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/02...-nyc.html#more
Ron, now that you are reviewing for M&S, any insights into this gear?
Out of my reach but drool-worthy

Thanks for the post. Currently I am using all CH Precision cables with my system: CH Balanced Interconnect, CH Link cable, and CH Speaker cable. I've heard the Scherzinger cables are quite good.

ozarktom

Jun 23, 2013
I am a proud owner of a pair of Zellaton Emotions thanks to Gideon's advice. I will never own CH Precision, but my system sounds so fast and musical, it is sheer enjoyment to behold. I have owned these Zellatons now for over three years and they are never going anywhere unless I can trade up to another pair of Zellatons.

fvcruz

Jan 31, 2016
I too visited Audio Arts in Feb this year and I was very impressed with the CH precision , FM Acoustics and Zellaton system. I originally came in to hear the Fuuga MC cartridge on a very "high" recommendation from a trusted industry friend. I have to say that Gideon is a class act and he has put together a beautiful showroom with some of the best brands around. We heard Tidal streamed content via the CH C1 DAC pre through a MacBook laptop, when I saw that I wasn't expecting much but boy was I wrong ! I have to say that the sound was very transparent, exetreme speed and attack, non-colored and very impressive. I can go on and on writing about the positive attributes I heard but I would just say that if you can make it for a demo, you must , won't be disappointed. What was equally impressive was the Schnerzinger Gyga and grid protector system, this was just amazing technology. I would concur with Rsorren1 , this was one special visit I will not be forgetting anytime soon and hope I can get my hands on the CH electronics soon.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Fvcruz,
Curious to know what you thought of the schnerzinger impact. Was it on the whole time or switched off and on to hear the dif?
For forum members lucky enough to get to Munich this year, the new Zellaton's Statement ought to be an awesome .

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
All, I had a third opportunity to visit AudioArts at the beginning of March where I heard the Schnerzinger accessories and wanted to share my impressions.

First, the system that night consisted of a CH Precision C1, a FM Acoustics 411 amp, Zellaton Stage, all being sourced by a MacBook Pro connected to the C1 via USB cable. Interesting because I've been living with an all CH Precision set-up for a month so I was eager to see if I could hear a difference with the FM Acoustics amp. The answer? I could not. The system sounded marvelous with all of the attributes of the CH Precision system (M1,C1) I heard previously: dynamic impact, speed, great tonal balance, space between instruments, etc. Also, the USB input on the C1 is quite extraordinary and I'm experiencing that at home.

I noticed that there were three devices in the AudioArts listening room that night that I have never seen. They turned out to be the Schnerzinger devices. Two were to eliminate the affects of high frequency interference and were placed in opposite corners of the room diagonally. The third was plugged into the power outlet. To hear the affect they were making we selected a track that has a well recorded drum solo (not sure of the track but the drums sounded so real to me). We listened to the track twice with the devices operating so I could get a good sense for the system. Then Gideon turned off the Schnerzinger devices and we immediately listened again. WTF??? The presentation seemed to shrink in all dimensions and loose a bit of life and realism. Don't ask me what these things do or how I don't know. But hearing the difference was easy; not a subtle change. Next we turned all the Schnerzinger devices back on and listened to the track again. Sure enough what I heard before returned. Finally, Gideon unplugged the device that was plugged into the outlet and we listened to the track again. I could not hear a difference as clearly as with the other devices. Fascinating.

Right before I left Gideon asked me to listen to the small Zellaton speakers called the Legacy. He had them in the smaller of the two listening rooms being driven by ASR integrated, Nagra DAC and transport. We listened to a few of the same tracks as we had heard in the larger room and the results were excellent. It is hard to believe that a speaker that small can stand up an image in space that is believable and with bass impact. The sound easily filled the room and while the presentation was not as laser focused as CH Precision or FM Acoustics, it was totally believable and enjoyable. I would say that the Zellaton Legacy is one of the best small stand mounted speakers that I've heard. Excellent.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
About two weeks ago I had to be in NYC for a few days for business. I realized that I had time at night so I thought I might arrange a visit to an audio store I've been wanting to visit and hear CH Precision gear. I dropped Gideon Schwartz an email and asked if I could arrange a visit to AudioArts at night after work. I explained that I've always wanted to listen to the CH Precision gear and I pointed him to my WBF page describing my system in the Wilson Forum. Gideon responded and said he would gladly have me for a listening session. He pointed me to an article that had just appeared in the Absolute Sound profiling AudioArts. We both had some background on each other.

Before I try to explain what I experienced that night, let me start by saying thank you to Gideon. The AudioArts showroom is absolutely beautiful and he was the perfect host. I was there alone and we spent nearly four hours together listening to music and discussing music and high-end audio. Wonderful night.

As I said I was eager to hear CH Precision. I had read the review in Absolute Sound awhile ago. Gideon had the CH Precision D1 transport, C1 DAC, FM Acoustics 255R pre-amp, and FM Acoustics 711 amp playing through Zellaton Stage speakers. He also had a Sperling turntable connected to the system playing through an FM Acoustics phono pre-amp. Gideon said we were going to listen to a variety of sources: turntable, SACD/CD discs in D1, network streamed and USB audio through the ethernet and USB boards respectively in the C1.

I'll start with my impressions of the analog turntable chain. We listened to a number of tracks that night but two really were memorable. We listened to a cut from the Coltrane - Johnny Hartman album. The three dimensional characteristic of the sound, placement of voice and instruments was some of the best I've heard. Smooth as silk at the top end and good bass. The dynamic contrasts were some of the best I've heard. We also listened to a recording of a Japanese pianist (I think, can't remember her name) playing Beethoven's "Appassionata" piano Sonata. The dynamics of the piano were the best I've ever heard. The piano was beautiful sounding. I've long heard of FM Acoustics but this was the first time I've ever heard their equipment. Outstanding.

As we shifted to digital source and the CH Precision front-end D1/C1 we started by inserting an SACD in the D1. Gideon is a big fan of SACD and so am I. I probably own 150+. The detail, space, relaxed nature of the sound made an instant impression on me. The highlight of the night for me came when we played Beatles, White Album, "Julia", stereo remaster, streamed from the network. I've listened to this track hundreds of times through the years. It's stunning in beauty and simplicity, a song about John's Mom. Never, repeat never, have I heard the message of this song and its passion so clearly. John holds the "s" at the end of the lyric "half of what I say is meaningless". It sounds as a whisper into the mic as the "s" decays. No sibilance at all! The guitar placed perfectly in space and the tone! Fool you "real" moment from a "redbook" CD off the network. The Absolute Sound review of CH Precision called out the excellent performance of the ethernet streaming card and based on what I heard I concur. I also tried a few Tidal streams through USB fed from a MacBook Pro. I selected Tom Petty and Heartbreakers remake of "Green Onions" from the Live Anthology album. The "bite" of the organ and the tonal accuracy of Mike Campbell's electric guitar over Tidal caught my attention. Great stuff! Eva Cassidy singing "At Last" was just gorgeous as was Linda Ronstadt's "Dedicated to the One I Love". The three methods of playback in the digital chain seemed to be more related to the quality of the recordings rather than one source outperforming another. That's how good the CH Precision C1 seems to be. Would love to hear a D1/C1 in my system some day.

CH Precision, FM Acoustics, Zellaton, were all firsts for me. I now better understand what speed means in audio. To me this speed characteristic comes across in the music as big dynamics and that cutting first edge of music. These products also project a very three dimensional image, something I like quite a bit. This was the first experience with CH Precision, FM Acoustics, and Zellaton. I likely will not forget this experience anytime soon. That good.

Nice writeup, thanks.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear All,
i write from Italy,about CH i have
L1 + C1 + X1 + 2 A1 mono
Yesterday in a shop near my home i listen for the first time one demonstration with
Kronos sparta,Esoteric grandioso,L1,P1,M1,Rockport Cygnus,
P1 was really incredible for the sound and the versatility,i will bring home this week to test with my Kondo GE1 and trans Silvercore MC Pro,and also m1,i listen them for the first time and i was very impressive.
In that shop always with esoteric grandioso and Rocpost Cygnus,i listen in the last 2 months demonstration with,Pandora and mephisto stereo,Rowland Criterion and 925,Esoteric Grandioso C1 and M1,Dan D'agostino and Pass Xs and Xs 300,i always stay some hours with my reference records,but no one was near CH.
all sound good,but CH;for me,is another world against others.
I have also Kondo M7 ksl,Kondo GE 1 and 2 Kondo Souga to biamp,very special amp,but i prefer also CH to them
Regards
Gianluigi

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Gianluigi:
In considering CH vs FM acoustics, (a path that I've been considering for a while for lets say digital sourced) what would be the likely differences? Your experiences with Kondo and others are valuable! I have heard the CH on Zellatons and would characterize the sound as speed freak with timbral correctness. Parts of me, no doubt harking back to Jadis paired with Goldmund dialogue days, sought bloom. Then, we were "balancing" the beauteous jadis 80 mids with siltech cables and the dialogue's striking speed. Looking forward, speed with beauty on full scale music 80-90 db ave is the goal. Whether CH L1 can have the refinement and depth of the FMA 255, or approximate it, is material for my next major audio "move". best,

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I know enough well FM because i am friend with old distributor in Italy and listen often from him,one my friend has fm 155 and other had amp 811
I never did comparison between CH and FM,so its hard to say,but when i listen FM i always liked but i never think to buy,while when listen CH in the shop in Italy and try in my home i decide to buy because i liked a lot.
Since 1989 i always had tube amp,i had also one time jadis 500 on bass,jadis 200 on mid and jadia 80 on tweeter,and since 1990 till now i had Be yamamura,Audio tekne,AudioNote,Kondo,and i never can listen transistor amp because my taste prefer triode amp,but with CH i change idea because has mid natural and musical like tube,but excellent bass and treble

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know enough well FM because i am friend with old distributor in Italy and listen often from him,one my friend has fm 155 and other had amp 811
I never did comparison between CH and FM,so its hard to say,but when i listen FM i always liked but i never think to buy,while when listen CH in the shop in Italy and try in my home i decide to buy because i liked a lot.
Since 1989 i always had tube amp,i had also one time jadis 500 on bass,jadis 200 on mid and jadia 80 on tweeter,and since 1990 till now i had Be yamamura,Audio tekne,AudioNote,Kondo,and i never can listen transistor amp because my taste prefer triode amp,but with CH i change idea because has mid natural and musical like tube,but excellent bass and treble

Fascinating...i would love to hear more about your experience with FM Acoustics. How does it compare with your other brands (Audio Note, Jadis, Gryphon, CH) that you have listened to? It is difficult to find FM to hear.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Also in Italy is very difficult to find because FM do low discount to distributors and nobody import FM now.
No one shop had to demonstrate because with this policy of price nobody has in italy
I never listen one in my home,so i cannot give one exact judgment.
811 of my friend sounded very well in his system,then he changed 811 with gryphon Colosseun mono and 2 months ago one my friend tested in his home 255 with 811 against his Viola bravo,he told me FM is very good,something little better than Viola and something less,he likek it but told me he want to keep Viola
Sorry my bad english

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Also in Italy is very difficult to find because FM do low discount to distributors and nobody import FM now.
No one shop had to demonstrate because with this policy of price nobody has in italy
I never listen one in my home,so i cannot give one exact judgment.
811 of my friend sounded very well in his system,then he changed 811 with gryphon Colosseun mono and 2 months ago one my friend tested in his home 255 with 811 against his Viola bravo,he told me FM is very good,something little better than Viola and something less,he likek it but told me he want to keep Viola
Sorry my bad english

Your English is much better than my Italian! ;) Thanks for the information...very interesting. I do like Gryphon Colosseum (my favorite the last several years), but i have not heard FM, Viola or CH.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing