A Visit to AudioArts - NYC to hear CH Precision - FM Acoustics - Zellaton

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Hi rsorren, what a great post, thank you for taking the time comment on FMA and CH. In your first visit, the FM 255 pre used, while on the second there was C1 dac pre only. Did you have a chance to listen to the L1? I'd be interested to hear your observations of C1 dac pre as opposed to L1, and L1 as opposed to FM255. Of interest would be using C1 dac pre only with the comfort of knowing that it matches the hallowed FM255. Any impression of the CH P1 if it was in the system?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi rsorren, what a great post, thank you for taking the time comment on FMA and CH. In your first visit, the FM 255 pre used, while on the second there was C1 dac pre only. Did you have a chance to listen to the L1? I'd be interested to hear your observations of C1 dac pre as opposed to L1, and L1 as opposed to FM255. Of interest would be using C1 dac pre only with the comfort of knowing that it matches the hallowed FM255. Any impression of the CH P1 if it was in the system?

I have not heard the L1. My comparison was only of the FM255 and FM711 amp vs the CH Precision C1 DAC/pre and M1. The P1 was not at the AudioArts showroom either visit. The CH Precision C1 DAC/pre, M1 are seriously good!

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Any impression of the CH P1 if it was in the system?

Kinch,
I've had a P1 in the system for a few weeks now and am really impressed. Very unique in design, the P1 has two lomc and one mm/homc inputs. Mm/homc has adjustable loading via a menu. The two mc inputs have an auto loading wizard feature that tests and then determines the most ideal setting for the combination of cartridge/tonearm wire/phono interconnects as a sum of their combined influence. Very cool!
Sound is to die for. Very dynamic, quiet and with a forward soundstage presentation in my system. Here are a few pics of the P1 unboxing including the CH calibration 45rpm vinyl.
Chris
IMG_9536.JPG IMG_9537.JPG IMG_9538.JPG IMG_9541.JPG

Last edited:

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
An update. After the second listening session at AudioArts, Gideon asked if I were interested in pursuing purchase of CH Precision. I explained that the only way I could ever entertain that idea was to have the opportunity to listen to the CH Precision components in my home with my Wilson Alexia speakers. A few weeks passed and I got a call from Gideon explaining that he had to be in Texas to visit with another client. He explained that he was willing to send me a D1/C1/A1/X1/cables CH Precision system for evaluation. No commitment other than I would agree to pay for shipping back to him in NYC if I decided not to purchase. He also insisted on visiting, setting everything up, and spending time with me to help me get the best from the system. He lives in NYC, I live in the Dallas area. OK....
A few days later, the equipment arrived and was in my garage for several days until Gideon arrived. We set the system up and he explained the features of each piece. From the first few notes of the first song we played I could tell that this system was something very special. So quiet! So dynamic! So detailed! So relaxed! The Alexia seem to be a great match for CH Precision. The A1 amp drives them effortlessly. It's a good thing that CH Precision make their remotes out of metal because I dropped them in pure amazement to what was coming from my speakers several times! The system is not going back. Purchased!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
An update. After the second listening session at AudioArts, Gideon asked if I were interested in pursuing purchase of CH Precision. I explained that the only way I could ever entertain that idea was to have the opportunity to listen to the CH Precision components in my home with my Wilson Alexia speakers. A few weeks passed and I got a call from Gideon explaining that he had to be in Texas to visit with another client. He explained that he was willing to send me a D1/C1/A1/X1/cables CH Precision system for evaluation. No commitment other than I would agree to pay for shipping back to him in NYC if I decided not to purchase. He also insisted on visiting, setting everything up, and spending time with me to help me get the best from the system. He lives in NYC, I live in the Dallas area. OK....
A few days later, the equipment arrived and was in my garage for several days until Gideon arrived. We set the system up and he explained the features of each piece. From the first few notes of the first song we played I could tell that this system was something very special. So quiet! So dynamic! So detailed! So relaxed! The Alexia seem to be a great match for CH Precision. The A1 amp drives them effortlessly. It's a good thing that CH Precision make their remotes out of metal because I dropped them in pure amazement to what was coming from my speakers several times! The system is not going back. Purchased!

Congratulations.
It's good to read that other members are content to trust their ears.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Even diehard measurement folks will have a hard time faulting the specs of CH. The thing I love about the amps in particular are the ability to tune local feedback levels and even more important to me, gain.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Kinch,
I've had a P1 in the system for a few weeks now and am really impressed. Very unique in design, the P1 has two lomc and one mm/homc inputs. Mm/homc has adjustable loading via a menu. The two mc inputs have an auto loading wizard feature that tests and then determines the most ideal setting for the combination of cartridge/tonearm wire/phono interconnects as a sum of their combined influence. Very cool!
Sound is to die for. Very dynamic, quiet and with a forward soundstage presentation in my system. Here are a few pics of the P1 unboxing including the CH calibration 45rpm vinyl.
Chris

Hi Chris. Congratulations on acquiring the P1. Thanks for the listening notes and impressions. I'm eager to hear it someday. Enjoy!
Ralph

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Ralph,
I know you have a sizable DSD collection and you are on your second PS3 now since I let you have mine. I couldn't care less about DSD. You should know that the CH precision C1 does not natively convert DSD to analog without first converting DSD to PCM. The following are screenshots from the C1 manual and the burr brown PCM 1704 data sheet.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The PCM 1704 chip is a ladder chip DAC. All incoming rates are converted to 768khz. The 1704 cannot convert at DSD rate which is 2.8224mhz. So DSD must be downsampled to 768khz 24 bit for the 1704.

Michael.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Ralph,
I know you have a sizable DSD collection and you are on your second PS3 now since I let you have mine. I couldn't care less about DSD. You should know that the CH precision C1 does not natively convert DSD to analog without first converting DSD to PCM. The following are screenshots from the C1 manual and the burr brown PCM 1704 data sheet.
View attachment 25701
View attachment 25702

The PCM 1704 chip is a ladder chip DAC. All incoming rates are converted to 768khz. The 1704 cannot convert at DSD rate which is 2.8224mhz. So DSD must be downsampled to 768khz 24 bit for the 1704.

Michael.

Correct. The sound is magnificent. Best sound I've ever obtained from SACD. You must stop by some time. Thanks for the PS3!
Ralph

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Ralph, congrats on your purchase as that is some very fine gear. Having had a chance to hear it a few times in Munich and Sydney, I always enjoyed their performance.

The Beethoven Appassionata that you spoke about is the one played by Ikuyo Kamiya, a Japanese lady. It is a Direct to Disc Japanese pressing by RCA Japan.

It is a recording that clearly exhibits some great dynamic piano. And it was recorded live.

Worth being in every record collection.

Enjoy the great toys.

Best
Neville

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Ralph, congrats on your purchase as that is some very fine gear. Having had a chance to hear it a few times in Munich and Sydney, I always enjoyed their performance.

The Beethoven Appassionata that you spoke about is the one played by Ikuyo Kamiya, a Japanese lady. It is a Direct to Disc Japanese pressing by RCA Japan.

It is a recording that clearly exhibits some great dynamic piano. And it was recorded live.

Worth being in every record collection.

Enjoy the great toys.

Best
Neville

Neville, Thank you 100X! While we all have several performances of Appassionata, I had forgotten to ask Gideon for this information. I must find this performance because I can't recall anyone playing Appassionata with those dramatic dynamic contrasts. I don't have a turntable so here's hoping I can find it on CD or in Hi-Res. Many thanks!
Ralph

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You would likely hear an improvement if you used HQplayer to convert the DSD to 24/768khz. In fact, you'd prolly hear an improvement with all sample rates if you used hqplayer to resample to that rate. What's the highest sample rate available over USB?

I'll be over soon. :)

Correct. The sound is magnificent. Best sound I've ever obtained from SACD. You must stop by some time. Thanks for the PS3!
Ralph

Last edited:

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Tunes: thanks for the photos! The calibration options on the P1 are truly amazing. I hope to get to hear it soon.
rsorren: congrats on the structural shift in your audio odyssey. I know exactly what you mean about dropping the metal remote, mouth agape, at a vivid moment. Its equal parts "omg" and "what have I been missing?" ;) what were the thoughts on a dedicated L1 pre amp?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
You would likely hear an improvement if you used HQplayer to convert the DSD to 24/768khz. In fact, you'd prolly hear an improvement with all sample rates if you used hqplayer to resample to that rate. What's the highest sample rate available over USB?

I'll be over soon. :)

Great. We can try to get HQPlayer working. I run Roon on a MacBook Pro and connect to the C1 via USB and send DSF files to it that the C1 then down samples. Also sounds glorious. See you soon.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Great. We can try to get HQPlayer working. I run Roon on a MacBook Pro and connect to the C1 via USB and send DSF files to it that the C1 then down samples. Also sounds glorious. See you soon.

I think the highest input rate is 192 for all inputs except CH Link which can accept 768. Unless you can get your PC to use CH Link, I think it is not worthwhile to use HQPlayer.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Tunes: thanks for the photos! The calibration options on the P1 are truly amazing. I hope to get to hear it soon.
rsorren: congrats on the structural shift in your audio odyssey. I know exactly what you mean about dropping the metal remote, mouth agape, at a vivid moment. Its equal parts "omg" and "what have I been missing?" ;) what were the thoughts on a dedicated L1 pre amp?

Thanks Kinch. My thoughts on the L1 were that I wanted to start with a D1/C1/A1/X1 and get to know the system well. Once I've gotten experience with the current system, I may look into it. I've not heard it yet. I'm eager to hear a C1 DAC, L1, A1 or M1. The M1 is a total beast. I have heard it. The A1 drives the Wilson Alexia without breaking a sweat. Gideon said this would be the case and he was correct.
Ralph

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I think the highest input rate is 192 for all inputs except CH Link which can accept 768. Unless you can get your PC to use CH Link, I think it is not worthwhile to use HQPlayer.

The highest data input rate on the C1 for PCM using AES/EBU, S/PDIF, TOSLINK is 24/192K. I don't use any of these. CH Link does native DSD from the D1 to the C1 DAC where the conversion to PCM happens. USB and Ethernet streaming to the C1 supports DSD over DoP and PCM up to 24/192K. With this system, playing discs, streaming from the network, USB are all excellent sounding.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Ralph, Did you try the M1 stereo in your system as well as the A1? I understand it is indeed a beast.
Kinch, the L1 is super. As with other ch units, the L1 can trim gain. In it's case, you can trim gain independently for each input. In my case, c1, p1, tuner, R2R are trimmed to match pretty closely.
Btw, ch just updated firmware on all units as well as a new updated android app. P1 settings are now controllable via the app.
The guys at ch really are tech marvels!
Chris

image1.JPG

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Ralph, wow !!! Congratulations !! I am going to have to get up to Dallas soon !!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing