A Visit to AudioArts - NYC to hear CH Precision - FM Acoustics - Zellaton

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Happy New Year everyone. May it be happy and healthy for all.

An update. In mid December a package was delivered to my house. It was from AudioArts and contained a 1.5M Schnerzinger Extreme 10000T interconncect and a Schnerzinger Extreme 8000T 15A power cord. Gideon Schwartz, AudioArts, had called a few days before the package arrived and said that he had made arrangements for the cables to be delivered to me. He told me to try the interconnect between my CH Precision L1 pre-amp and M1 amp and to use the power cord on the 15A outlet of the M1. Recall the M1 uses two power cords; one 20A and one 15A. I have a Schnerzinger Extreme 8000T on the 20A that I bought when I purchased the amp. I have been using Swiss Cable interconnects and power cords for the past year. I purchased Schnerzinger Extreme 5000T speaker cables when I got my Zellaton Stage. These cords would be the next logical updates. Truth is I’ve always been a bit of a cable skeptic. There was no question that the Schnerzinger Extreme 5000T speaker cables made noticeable improvements in my system and were an exceptional match for Zellaton so I bought them. That was my first expensive cables purchase. I know that many have gotten exceptional results with cables but I’ve always opted for price/performance options like the Swiss Cables. Since this was a cost free trail, I agreed to give it a try. Really bad idea. I started by replacing ONLY the power cord. Three things were immediately discernible: there was a hash/haze that I had not realized existed that was now removed from the system presentation. Second, bass performance improved. Third, instruments seemed to get better defined in the soundstage. All this from ONE power cable. Very strange. I put the Swiss cable power cord back into the system. Using Linda Ronstadt’s MFSL 180gm vinyl “Hasten Down the Wind”, Lo Siento Mi Vida, I validated all of these differences. Next I put in the interconnect. Gideon had advised that I run music through it for a few days before making any comparisons because it was essentially brand new. I put on a Beethoven piano Sonata at low volume and let it play. I couldn’t just walk away so I listened briefly. Not so good. Thin sounding, very sterile. Two days later I sat down to listen again. Magnificent is only word I can use to describe what was now being heard. Three dimensional depth was drastically improved. The piano had weight, impact, that was never present before. I used the Ikuyo Kamiya, 45 rpm, direct-to-disk Beethoven sonata as an additional test. Great dynamics in this recording. I’ve been listening to the system now for about 10 days this way. This is the most natural sounding presentation I’ve gotten from my system. I’m keeping both cables. It’s that much better. The Swiss Cables are good no doubt. These Schnerzinger cables are in a different league and make a noticeable improvement in my system.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Ralph - Great to read about the cables. I need to come to Dallas.

Mike

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've tried to visit Audio Arts several times previously but was unsuccessful through no fault of Gideon, but rather, my often short notice for being present in Manhattan. Yesterday I finally connected and was pleased I did. Gideon was a delight and we spent a leisurely few hours listening to vinyl and digital on his well-received reference Zellaton/FM Acoustics system. If was my first exposure to Zellaton and can certainly understand why they are held in high regard. They are an extremely musical and coherent multiple driver array speaker and it's easy to see why reviewers such as Valin seem to love them (they've been in his system for about a year?) even though he probably has a security detail on the lookout for the Magico police outside his door 24/7. The 70 watt FM monoblocks were delightful as well and created excellent synergy with the Zellatons. Hardly a surprise there as nobody ever said FM produces something other than fine gear. Gideon was kind enough to do an A/B/A demo of the famous Schnerzinger Giga-Pulse protectors and all I'll say now is that it was an interesting sonic experiment and worthy of further study.

Perhaps the most impressive piece I heard was the streamer/DAC by a Swiss company called Le Son. I was previously unfamiliar with this brand but it has a strong heritage and if my understanding is correct, is in-part run by a fellow by the name of Alexander Lavanche, the former CEO of ABC-PCB, a well known analog and digital design firm that OEMs the digital circuitry for many other famous Swiss electronics houses (you know who they are). The point is, Le Son has the pedigree and chops to design first rate digital gear, and I was genuinely impressed by the sheer musicality and lack of digital artifact in their DAC. If anyone has direct hands on experience with Le Son, please chime in as I'd like to learn more. It sure seemed like a contender for the real deal to me. All in all, it was a delightful experience as I was introduced to several first rate music-making products that I had not previously heard. My sincere thanks Gideon for an illuminating visit!

Last edited:

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Marty, thanks for sharing your experience. I have not had the chance to hear the Le Son yet. I’m looking forward to hearing it. I have had the opportunity to A/B/A the Schnerzinger Giga-pulse protectors a few times at AudioArts and in my own system at home. Have not added them yet because of other priorities in my system but no doubt an interesting experiment worthy of additional attention. Tango reports on another thread here his experiences with the smaller version of Schnerzinger’s giga pulse called Piccolo. He has added them to his system and described the effect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing