Corigliano: Circus Maximus

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Naxos, now beginning to release audio-only Blu-Ray content, is offering John Corigliano's Circus Maximus. This piece was composed specifically with surround sound in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041EVYUQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

First reviews suggest awesome audio quality. The piece has been likened to Respighi's Feste Romane, with extremely colorful scoring and impressive dynamics.

I should have my copy soon, and will offer further comments.

Lee

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
It is excellent. I was disappointed at the original CD issue since Corigliano's notes indicated the spatial arrangements and movement that are inherent in the conception of the work and that Naxos chose to release it in stereo only. With the BR, that disappointment vaporizes. Exciting and flavorful stuff quite well recorded.

Kal

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
This is exciting news, since Naxos decided to discontinue releasing SACD and DVD-A. I feel as you do, Kal, that good multi-channel is the only way to reproduce large scale orchestral music with excellent realism.

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is exciting news, since Naxos decided to discontinue releasing SACD and DVD-A. I feel as you do, Kal, that good multi-channel is the only way to reproduce large scale orchestral music with excellent realism.

Lee

I cannot say much at the moment, but I hope to introduce the community to someone who is well-acquainted with multi-channel and classical music.

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
Got this, love it! Thanks for the recommendations, folks! Keep em coming!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing