Shoot out: Reel to Reel Comparison to Direct Digital Recording

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No idea but I'm pretty sure the digital is closer to the mic feed. That was always my experience doing the same thing at Full Sail recording to both Protools and 2" Tape at the same time. Now is that a good thing? In close mic'ed sessions, mic feeds very, very rarely sound good. Unless you like things in your face that is. Having your face a foot away from a guitar amp is no fun and neither is a raw recording presented at you that way. In both cases (D and A) artistic decisions still need to be made. There's the reason you need engineers after all. They aren't just level bots, the good ones anyway. :)

I liked the analog one better. Spotted the digital recording in the first few seconds. Like the others I did not like the post produced version. It sounded disjointed and unnatural.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Question: in this video and example, which sound more closely matched the original? I know none of us were there to hear the original but I am going to ask the question anyway :).

Unless you tell us the brand, model and age of the instrument, the temperature and humidity of the room with a precision of better than .5%, the RT60 of the room, the distance between the instrument and the walls and the distance to the microphone with 1 mil accuracy we can not answer in a scientific way. :D

But I can guess your comment to any answer ...

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 189

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The difference was immediately obvious to me due to the tape hiss. Tape clearly has its own sound. If you want that sound or color, use tape, If not, use digital. I find it interesting to note that the 24/96 transfer of the tape captured the roundness that some of you have described. However, that roundness was not captured in the original 24/96 recording. Perhaps it wasn't there to begin with and is simply an artifact of tape and the electronics in the tape deck. After all, why would it be captured off tape but not directly off the mic feed? I will say that I preferred tape 1 and 2 to the eq'd compressed final track which sounded very artificial.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
The difference was immediately obvious to me due to the tape hiss. Tape clearly has its own sound. If you want that sound or color, use tape, If not, use digital. I find it interesting to note that the 24/96 transfer of the tape captured the roundness that some of you have described. However, that roundness was not captured in the original 24/96 recording. Perhaps it wasn't there to begin with and is simply an artifact of tape and the electronics in the tape deck. After all, why would it be captured off tape but not directly off the mic feed? I will say that I preferred tape 1 and 2 to the eq'd compressed final track which sounded very artificial.

Over my crappy notebook speakers, all I heard was a brighter tonal shift. In my old tape days, that kind of tonal shift would have me thinking of adjusting playback azimuth.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Having your face a foot away from a guitar amp is no fun
Haha. Man does your statement bring back for me memories of a few jam sessions and performances. Still have my Fender amp too. I wish I had you there at the time to settle some band fights.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
No idea but I'm pretty sure the digital is closer to the mic feed. That was always my experience doing the same thing at Full Sail recording to both Protools and 2" Tape at the same time.

2"/24 trk? Have you ever recorded and reproduced with 2"/16 trk? How'd it sound :confused:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Never did Sam. The facility didn't have those head blocks if I recall. If they did we never used them.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Haha. Man does your statement bring back for me memories of a few jam sessions and performances. Still have my Fender amp too. I wish I had you there at the time to settle some band fights.

Hahahaha. Oh boy we witnessed a lot of that. We got pummeled by artists too. There was this one amateur group where almost every one of them wanted to be front and center in the mix. I learned a lot about diplomacy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing