Devialet options and questions

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am considering making a jump in a direction I never expected. I have a VAC Signature Mk. II Preamplifier, a pair of VAC 140 monoblock subs on my Pipedream 18 towers, and a Crown XLS2000 amplifier on my subs. I am considering, in an effort to make some money and not take a huge step back, selling my preamp and amplifiers, buying a Devialet 200, 400, or 800, and maybe changing my subs. If I keep my current subwoofers I need a solid 350 watts, preferably more.

If I do the biamping using the 400, would that mean I would be giving my highly efficient towers 200 and my subs 200? If so, the Devialet 400 would not be an option that would work with my subs. However, if more power can be given to the subs and less to the towers, that would be great. I believe the towers are 95 db efficient.

If I need to have the 800 to give 400 watts to the subs, that would be the only option that I think would work keeping the subs.

Alternatively, I am considering a pair of JL F113 subwoofers, which would probably be superior to my current subwoofers, and running a lower powered Devialet, the 200 or 250. I was wondering if there is much of a difference between the Devialet groups aside from power.

I also have a Lumin T1 server with L1 NAS. If I am correct in my understanding correctly, I would be able to stream from my NAS using the Devialet. I also think I heard that the huge benefit of the Lumin's DAC would not be so beneficial with the Devialet. Is this something that I should replace maybe with an Auralic Aries, or should I just use the Devialet as a streamer from my NAS?

Another concern I have is my analog setup. I have a VPI HRX turntable with a Van den Hul Colibri XGW. Am I going to take a serious hit in quality of the phono stage jumping from the VAC to the Devialet? I worry converting my analog to digital could be a VERY bad idea.

My last concern is that my speakers are not set up with SAM. How do I get my speakers set up through SAM and how would using a JL Fathom effect this SAM setup?

Sorry for all the specific questions. I hope to hear from people soon!

Best regards,
Stephen

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
It looks like I will need to still run a streamer to get DSD. I will probably run an Auralic Aries here with this setup if I go this direction.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I registered. Hopefully I can post there soon. One big issue I am seeing is that my pipedreams are not just crossed over but EQ'ed in the lower frequencies. I wonder if the Devialet can do that.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I registered. Hopefully I can post there soon. One big issue I am seeing is that my pipedreams are not just crossed over but EQ'ed in the lower frequencies. I wonder if the Devialet can do that.

Devialets have programable tone controls and there's a portable devise called the SAMlab that a dealer can borrow and generate a SAM file for your speakers.

Before you head down this path, I suggest you borrow a D200 or D250 to try on your pipedreams.

Hopefully there's a Devialet dealer in your are.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing