SPJ Alba/La Luce

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How many of you have heard this TT from Judy Spotheim?

Any opinions with respect to Techdas, Kronos, or Kuzma XL4? Thanks.

Asking because I heard it with the Lyla tonearm, Keotsu Blue Lace MC, and FMA 122 phono and was blown away

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I believe Edward Pong has this TT although we only listened to some R2R tape when I was there.

Do you have a link for this as the one in the List of Turntable Manufacturers is inactive?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
How many of you have heard this TT from Judy Spotheim?

Any opinions with respect to Techdas, Kronos, or Kuzma XL4? Thanks.

Asking because I heard it with the Lyla tonearm, Keotsu Blue Lace MC, and FMA 122 phono and was blown away

Some combo!
All those tables all sound very different from one another and the SPJ is still different sounding from all of them again, making any broad comparative comments is an exercise in futility...

david

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Some combo!
All those tables all sound very different from one another and the SPJ is still different sounding from all of them again, making any broad comparative comments is an exercise in futility...

david

Hi David,

Would be very interested in how you would describe the respective sonic signatures of these tables in 1 or 2 sentences each.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

Would be very interested in how you would describe the respective sonic signatures of these tables in 1 or 2 sentences each.

Hi Bill,
Not that easy without an established, accepted and we known reference, just the Techdas is complex enough by itself to describe with its multiple platters and the effects of air pressure on the sound without having to compare four of them together in any meaningful manner.
david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, should have mentioned the Airforce III. The reason is that in a couple of years the AF3, Kronos, XL4 will all be good values in the used market.

Which is easier to set up and adjust?

The SPJ on classical had excellent tone, weight, dynamics, and was coming right out into the room. The system was Spectral + Rockport Avior, and I wanted to leave quickly because it was so boring on the digital (admitted his digital wasn't great, but even then...), till we put on Oistrakh and Espana on LP.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I believe Edward Pong has this TT although we only listened to some R2R tape when I was there.

Do you have a link for this as the one in the List of Turntable Manufacturers is inactive?

Hi who is Edward Pong, any contact details?

The guy I know replaced his SME 30-12 with the Alba and rates it much higher.

You can search for SPJ on this http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Tables.html

108CY

May 4, 2013
The spj alba will always be a turntable close to my heart, not particularly the prettiest but one of the most musical turntables ever built. The turntable is rather simple in actual execution but very well thought out as is the tonearm. The turntable has great slam, drive and weight with lots of air and nuance it has the ability to allow speakers to disappear. Not many of them around compared to the La Luce so extremely difficult to source. I listened to one at a friends house last night at it made me smile once agin.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Reactions: 108CY

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

108CY

May 4, 2013

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A picture of SPJ arm curtesy of AudioCirc.com. Look too fussy for me. This titanium one is own by Airbearing.

9DED0089-EEA9-49BC-BFF8-9264DF9C61F7.jpeg

108CY

May 4, 2013
A picture of SPJ arm curtesy of AudioCirc.com. Look too fussy for me. This titanium one is own by Airbearing.

View attachment 57449

Thanks tang thats the original spj arm, it was a magnificent bit of engineering. More certainly a bit fussy

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Is the company still active?
They used to be distributed by Cardas in the US, and I don’t think they have distribution now.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Is the company still active?
They used to be distributed by Cardas in the US, and I don’t think they have distribution now.

Judy spotheim is still making turntables to order, I receive a special version of the alba featuring a Graphite tonearm and a special aramid platter shortly. This will be interesting, in 1973 DuPont was the first company to introduce a para-aramid fiber, which it called Kevlar, to the market; this remains one of the best-known para-aramids and/or aramids. In 1978, Akzo introduced a similar fiber with roughly the same chemical structure, which it called Twaron. Due to earlier patents on the production process, Akzo and DuPont engaged in a patent dispute in the 1980s. Twaron subsequently came under the ownership of the Teijin Company. In 2011, Yantai Tayho introduced similar fiber which is called Taparan in China.
Para-aramids are used in many high-tech applications, such as aerospace and military applications, for "bullet-proof" body armor fabric. The material is quite difficult to source as a solid structure.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
That’s encouraging and very interesting.
I’d love to learn about your experience with the new table.
If you can, of course, how much $$ is that Alba version ?

108CY

May 4, 2013
That’s encouraging and very interesting.
I’d love to learn about your experience with the new table.
If you can, of course, how much $$ is that Alba version ?

It is truly encouraging that the the turntables are still in production.

The current retail in the UK is around £45000 GBP in this guise as of now only two of these turntables are in existence.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Not inexpensive, but in line with similar offerings.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks tang thats the original spj arm, it was a magnificent bit of engineering. More certainly a bit fussy
Could you elaborate on SPJ tonearm being “fuzzy”?
I have an opportunity to get La Luce with SPJ arm, I’d like to know what I’m getting myself into.
I’m using AF3 with 12” Reed 3p tonearm now. Kiseki Purple Heart cart.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing