Genesis Forte with VPI Avenger and Spectral

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Since much of Genesis' business is done in Asia, we held a soft launch of the new Genesis Forte in Bangkok prior to the launch in Las Vegas during CES.

We ran it with an all-Spectral system using the VPI Avenger as the source. Here's the Genesis Forte with the Spectral DMA-400 Monaural Reference Standard.

Forte at Image.jpg

Actually, the real reason behind why I ran the soft launch in Bangkok was because of my dealer there. Wuti had access to all sorts of cool music because of all his relationships in the music industry. He's the only guy I know who could borrow MASTER TAPES for his friends to listen to. He is trusted to keep them all under lock and key, and make sure that they will not be copied or performed publicly.

One of his sources was a VIP guest at the launch - owner of GrooveNote and ORG, and also my compatriot Ying Tan.

Demo music 2.jpg

Demo music.jpg

As a VERY special treat, he brough a rough mix of the next Vanessa Fernandez album - which features Tim Pierce on guitars, Jim Keltner on drums, Luis Conte on percussion, Chris Chaney on bass and Jim Cox on keyboards. He said that it's never been done before, but he's going to have Bernie Grundman master the 24-track direct to lacquer. Since Bernie is a mastering engineer and not a mixing or recording engineer, he doesn't have the mixing console - and Ying is having to jump through hoops to get that done. His biggest hurdle now is getting a city permit to park a 40-foot trailer with an entire portable mixing studio outside Bernie's studio and run the cables in.

United_Mike-Ross_400px.jpg Vanessa Use Me.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK.... back to the launch.

This was the first time I've run with an all-Spectral system, and I gotta say it gave me goosebumps. Here's a better view of the DMA-400. Lovely amp!

Spectral DMA-400.jpg

This was also the public launch of the VPI Avenger in Thailand. The cartridge used is the Kiseki Blue NS. Phono Stage was the Genesis Platinum Phono.

Phono.jpg

The tapes were rolled on Wuti's ATR 102 - which was refurbished and set-up for him by Beno - the tech at Bernie Grundman's Studio.

ATR.jpg

I don't think that we got to play any CDs, but just in case anyone in the audience brings one along, the CD player was the Spectral SDR-4000SL Reference CD Processor System, and the preamp the Spectral DMC-30SS S2 Reference Preamp.

Spectral.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Nice Gary

What does the Forte retail for? and the specs?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Gary, if those Spectral electronics gave you goosebumps, then you have to go back when they get their 30SV preamp, and don't say I didn't warn you :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, if those Spectral electronics gave you goosebumps, then you have to go back when they get their 30SV preamp, and don't say I didn't warn you :D

I'll be back there in April - during the launch, we sold a pair to a customer who does own the 30SV preamp.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
..cue cricket sounds :cool:

Miss money bags here. We will provide the price shortly (Read: Gary says $$... Carol makes higher gestures with her hand... we wave spreadsheets... we come to agreement.) We only just sent out the press release yesterday with the information on what's new and better. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It must be special. You sold one wthout an official price. What are the cables?I did not see them mentioned.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Until the price is official, perhaps we could learn more about the Forte:

1. where does it sit in the Genesis family? Directly under the 1.2?
2. what is the difference between this and the 2.2Jr?
3. any more technical details?

thanks!! very exciting.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
A sneak peek at the latest pair of Fortes. Since the launch, we haven't sold any in the standard black gloss finish. It's always been upgraded specially somehow. This pair is very special as the veneer - Madagascar Ebony - is rare, extremely expensive, and gorgeous.

I can't get over how rich the grain and color look......

Ebony Sneak Peek.jpg

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I agree, it looks really great! BTW, you may be able to translate the review from Thai to English with google translate, by cutting and pasting the text, if the article is available online.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I agree, it looks really great! BTW, you may be able to translate the review from Thai to English with google translate, by cutting and pasting the text, if the article is available online.

Thanks, ack. Unfortunately, it's not available online but I managed to use the Google Translate app on my cellphone to laboriously read the printed impressions - I would hesitate to call it a review! It's a great app for readings signs and such, but not so good for reading a page of a foreign language!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The tiger stripes are gorgeous Gary. How much is this option?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks, ack. Unfortunately, it's not available online but I managed to use the Google Translate app on my cellphone to laboriously read the printed impressions - I would hesitate to call it a review! It's a great app for readings signs and such, but not so good for reading a page of a foreign language!

You just gave me a great app idea: take a photo of the page and scan it for text, then "scrape" it off. You just made me a millionaire :) so I can go buy those MasterBuilt cables :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing