Sablon Audio Reserva experience. Affordable S.O.T.A.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, naming no names LOL.
Well, I like to live dangerously Spaz - like today, when I made my morning cup of tea w/milk that was one day over the "use by" date.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Erm, this may be going a TAD off topic LOL.
Seriously, I have been informed of the potential fire risk of balanced transformers. What the hey, now I'm doing the "wrong" thing eliminating fuses from my (US) plugs.
Maybe when I come home one day to find my treasured vinyl melted into a puddle of wax I may go "Hmm, shoulda listened!"

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Erm, this may be going a TAD off topic LOL.
Seriously, I have been informed of the potential fire risk of balanced transformers. What the hey, now I'm doing the "wrong" thing eliminating fuses from my (US) plugs.
Maybe when I come home one day to find my treasured vinyl melted into a puddle of wax I may go "Hmm, shoulda listened!"
Invalidates your home insurance as well of course.
Keith.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Invalidates your home.
No other Sablon/Reservas love in WBFLand?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Back on thread,

Installed the Panatela Reserva speaker cables yesterday having lived with standard Panatela for about 12 months. I'm always reluctant to change cables usually staying with a set for many years before the upgrade bug bites but Marks (Sablon Audio) comments to me regarding the superior qualities of the new Reserva range were too hard to ignore.
As my opening review states I had upgraded the ICs and Power cords to Reserva status and couldn't leave out the chance to upgrade the speaker cable before Xmas.

What Mark failed to tell me was just how BIG an upgrade to Reserva status actually revealed. SoTM already had the Panatela Reserva speaker cables on his system and I'd heard them in context with his full Sablon loom however the results when put into my system where far greater than I expected. Mark would say "told you so".

The increase in reality of vocals is stunning!! I'm a vocal fan over many other types of music, perhaps I just get a deep emotional connection with vocalists that can bend, shape or extend their words. The Reserva give me just so much more by removing a big level of artifice that I didn't know existed and giving a density/authority to even small sounds way back in the soundstage.

Spinning Rickie Lee Jones, Naked Songs, one of my favourite RLJ albums as it's so personal and wonderfully recorded, I felt I could hear her chest heaving with every breath and feel her breath on my face. When she moved to piano the heft of the piano notes are much improved giving a physical presence to the instrument. Wonderful.

I know I've a few days of break-in but Mark kindly gave them a long 'cooking' and on installation there were none of the usual tipped up sounds expected from fresh cables. I still have the Duo pigtail to change to Reserva status but as most of the music is from the midrange I'm in no rush to change this. He says with a smile :)

A quick comment on PCs Re. US plugs in UK. The Oyaide are rated for 240v, the wire 600v+ and as your equipment has a fuse and the C.U. a fuse there is in my mind no worries in using US plugs in the UK as I have done for over 20 yrs. if you are worried about insurance problems then I strongly suggest that you ask for the Furutech UK plugs on your Corona Reserva cords which I believe are the standard for UK usage. The Corona Reserva are spectacular no matter what plugs you choose. Please direct any further plug questions to Sablon Audio.

Blue58

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
+1 Barry, re Reserva spkr cables.
If you recall, you for the first time found my system more than palatable when my set went in, after needing to be impressed before.
This balancing act of tonal density/low noise flr/natural, not etched, warmth/texture and agility, is totally mesmerising. The move to US plugs/US sockets, removes even more veils.
It's great to know they work so well w/yr Duos, since a move to Duos Mezzo XD may be on my upgrade agenda, esp w/my house move.
HOWEVER...the Reservas are so enhancing what the Zus are great at, that this move is simultaneously closer, yet further away, than ever.
Looking fwd to your thoughts when you pop over soon.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Gentlemen, would you be in possession of any LCR charichteristic for the Panatela Reserva speaker cable ?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Gentlemen, would you be in possession of any LCR charichteristic for the Panatela Reserva speaker cable ?

Length 7 feet
Colour Olive/Gold
Rigidity Quite flexible

Only joking.

LCR is something I've never considered in all my years of listening. Quite honestly I couldn't care less what a cable measured or for that matter what an amplifier measured. All I care about and know is what my ears tell me, right or wrong.
I just don't understand this measurement malarkey. Do we measure the density of blue or red in a painting. No, we just appreciate it for what it is.
This is not a 'dig' at you Harlequin, rather a thought that some may not trust their ears and need measurements to corroborate their listening experience. If a cable sounds wonderful but measures 'poorly' according to textbooks what is wrong with that.

Just had another 5 hours listening and if the Reserva cables measured like a piece of string that wouldn't negate my listening experience. 5 hours blasting out all types of music this afternoon to put them through their paces and they just keep giving.

Now let's queue up some Royal Blood before the neighbours return from work.

Blue58

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Length 7 feet
Colour Olive/Gold
Rigidity Quite flexible

Only joking.

LCR is something I've never considered in all my years of listening. Quite honestly I couldn't care less what a cable measured or for that matter what an amplifier measured. All I care about and know is what my ears tell me, right or wrong.
I just don't understand this measurement malarkey. Do we measure the density of blue or red in a painting. No, we just appreciate it for what it is.
This is not a 'dig' at you Harlequin, rather a thought that some may not trust their ears and need measurements to corroborate their listening experience. If a cable sounds wonderful but measures 'poorly' according to textbooks what is wrong with that.

Just had another 5 hours listening and if the Reserva cables measured like a piece of string that wouldn't negate my listening experience. 5 hours blasting out all types of music this afternoon to put them through their paces and they just keep giving.

Now let's queue up some Royal Blood before the neighbours return from work.

Blue58
And yet it is these parameters that cable manufacturers adjust so that their cable will sound 'different' in comparative listening.
Keith.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
And yet it is these parameters that cable manufacturers adjust so that their cable will sound 'different' in comparative listening.
Keith.
Totally agree. Cable manufactures are not magicians. Different geometry will have different L and C. Some speakers may not like high C cables.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Blue...my query, and reasoning for it, stems from the somewhat 'difficult to drive' nature of my particular transducers, an indication as to the measured charichteristic of a cable, is for my part, a useful guide as to whether said cable might be a potential candidate (Technically rather than Audibly ) for further investigation. I shall fire off an inquiry to Marc directly.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Blue58 was over at my place today, to share a couple of beers, while he took in my fully-Reserva'd/fully-US plugged and socketed system. I've really asked him to be as honest as possible. I wouldn't call him a convert to the Zu cause, but the chasm has been well and truly bridged from my pre-Sablon days to the current Reservas floor to ceiling, if his comments are anything to go by. I'll let him speak for himself. What is great is that even though our house sounds are v. different, similar impvts are being wrought here and at his, and it's somewhat bridging the gap in presentation. Namely tonal density, gravity of sound, revealing of natural not etched detail, and dynamic powess, w/a major lowering in noise flr. This means that Blue's sound is more upfront like my Zus, and my sound has more texture like his AG Duos.
We both agreed that certain kinds of music excel more on our respective spkrs, but certainly my opinion is that there is a such a step up in both our sounds, that this is not such a stark comparison.
The Reservas have been instrumental in this.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Blue...my query, and reasoning for it, stems from the somewhat 'difficult to drive' nature of my particular transducers, an indication as to the measured charichteristic of a cable, is for my part, a useful guide as to whether said cable might be a potential candidate (Technically rather than Audibly ) for further investigation. I shall fire off an inquiry to Marc directly.

Ah! Now I understand why you asked and quite rightly so. Apologies if I was dismissive of your enquiry.
I'm sure Mark will be able to furnish you with the required info. and send a demo your way should they
be on target.
Cheers
Blue58

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Blue58 was over at my place today, to share a couple of beers....We both agreed that certain kinds of music excel more on our respective spkrs, but certainly my opinion is that there is a such a step up in both our sounds, that this is not such a stark comparison.
The Reservas have been instrumental in this.
Not wanting the thread to become fanboy worship of all things Sablon, it does appear, as Spirit alludes, that similar performance
Improvements have been wrought on both our systems with the installation of Reserva cords. This has brought both our systems closer together in presentation with Zus leaning towards the head and Avantgarde leaning towards the heart.
Zus we're loving the complex tracks from Genesis and Pat Metheny, digging deep to the core of the music whilst not faring too well on singer songwriter material. Whereas the Avantgarde really bring out the emotion of a songwriters voice and portray depth to soundstage better, especially on live recordings. SoM runs the 211 SETs, I the 45 SET so although similar amps, quite different in power.
I believe SoM's musical preferences would be better served by the Zus, though his quest for better speakers will be certainly fun, I can see him ending up with the new Zu Flagship.
Cheers for the Beers
Blue58

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, Bill's review is spot on
You're a man of impeccable taste, boundless enthusiasm, and insatiable curiosity (I hope my fee is in the post LOL), you simply MUST hear these cables in your system
Is that definitive enough for you?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc, the check is in the mail. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You may end up writing another for Sablon

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Sablon's site is apparently down as I write, but as I recall there are now two levels of Corona Reserva, the regular (~$1200) and the Reserva Elite (~$1900). Which one was being discussed in this thread? Anyone heard both and can describe the difference?

Btw, did others here that heard the previous Quantum Gran Corona agree with Jeff Day's review of them as being less engaging than the Gran Corona except for more complex classical music?
"What I heard was an aural equivalent of what happens with a digital photograph in post-processing when you crank up structure definition a little bit too much. It looks impressive, but it doesn't really look very natural or true to life. That's the equivalent of what I hear with the Quantum technology, there is a loss of natural musicality on smaller scale music that I find a little disconcerting." http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue68/sablon.htm

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Sablon's site is apparently down as I write, but as I recall there are now two levels of Corona Reserva, the regular (~$1200) and the Reserva Elite (~$1900). Which one was being discussed in this thread? Anyone heard both and can describe the difference?

Btw, did others here that heard the previous Quantum Gran Corona agree with Jeff Day's review of them as being less engaging than the Gran Corona except for more complex classical music?
"What I heard was an aural equivalent of what happens with a digital photograph in post-processing when you crank up structure definition a little bit too much. It looks impressive, but it doesn't really look very natural or true to life. That's the equivalent of what I hear with the Quantum technology, there is a loss of natural musicality on smaller scale music that I find a little disconcerting." http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue68/sablon.htm

Sablon's website is working fine here so you may have an issue with your service provider.

Feel free to email / PM me and I'll help you find some users to chat with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing