Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sablon Audio Reserva experience. Affordable S.O.T.A.

Sablon Elite cables don't seem to be on their homepage?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Gemini, they may be by special order. I can check with Mark.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! sujay's Avatar
    Hi,

Happy to report that the Reserva elite with the Furutech NCF plug blew my existing power cable away........a long, long way. The existing stock Acrolink cable was connected from the Oyaide wall receptacle to the BIT 16 power conditioner feeding the entire system. While these had the then flagship Oyaide M1/F1 connectors, I must confess, there is no comparison ( probably a wee bit unfair too).

For starters, the noise floor and resolution are in another league. Completely another league. I can clearly hear more separation in instruments and the whole performance is at a different level of energy and propulsion. Then again, the soundstage is substantially wider and taller with a hitherto unseen and unheard image density, consistent in the center and the periphery. The Soundstage is deeper but the gains in width and height are far more substantial.

The energy in the room is at a different level too......alive with unprecedented room fill. The bass is superior in every way - extension, tightness etc.

Next step is to swap my lampi power cord (currently the special edition Acrolink 5500) with time the elite and see the difference. This may be a slightly fairer comparison. And then of course putting the elite against the erstwhile flagship Acrolink 9500on my preamp. I have a feeling, the elite might just edge out even the 9500. So let’s wait and see.

What a nerve racking hobby!

Cheers

Sujay

Quote Originally Posted by sujay View Post
    Hi,

Happy to report that the Reserva elite with the Furutech NCF plug blew my existing power cable away........a long, long way. The existing stock Acrolink cable was connected from the Oyaide wall receptacle to the BIT 16 power conditioner feeding the entire system. While these had the then flagship Oyaide M1/F1 connectors, I must confess, there is no comparison ( probably a wee bit unfair too).

For starters, the noise floor and resolution are in another league. Completely another league. I can clearly hear more separation in instruments and the whole performance is at a different level of energy and propulsion. Then again, the soundstage is substantially wider and taller with a hitherto unseen and unheard image density, consistent in the center and the periphery. The Soundstage is deeper but the gains in width and height are far more substantial.

The energy in the room is at a different level too......alive with unprecedented room fill. The bass is superior in every way - extension, tightness etc.

Next step is to swap my lampi power cord (currently the special edition Acrolink 5500) with time the elite and see the difference. This may be a slightly fairer comparison. And then of course putting the elite against the erstwhile flagship Acrolink 9500on my preamp. I have a feeling, the elite might just edge out even the 9500. So let’s wait and see.

What a nerve racking hobby!

Cheers

Sujay
    Thanks for posting, very interesting comparison. I have read very good things about Acrolink PC’s and it’s good to hear you find the Sablon even better against such tough (and more expensive?) opposition. Please keep us posted.

I have one Sablon Elite PC on the Mola Mola pre/dac which has improved the sound hugely. Better dynamics, more detail and transparency, more open, more visceral.

I also have the Sablon USB Reserva Elite cable, powered version, between the fidata server and Mola Mola Makua. A friend/customer just brought around a USB cable from Curious and Lush to compare with the Sablon, both of which have had good reviews. I have also compared the Sablon USB to the Vovox Textura USB in the past. Sablon is just plain better in every respect compared to the other cables, we both agreed on that. He now wants one. Please PM me if you would like to try it at home for yourself.
    UK Audio Dealer for Mola Mola, Boenicke, Lumin, fidata, SST, Nord, Vovox, Bybee, Acoustic Revive.

Hi all, I am that friend/customer that took round the Curious USB 0.8m and Phasure Lush 0.7m for a bit of comparing. I am completely familiar with these two cables in my own system. I have found the Curious to be the kind of cable you can put in to demonstrate to someone who does not believe they make a difference that they actually do make a difference. It provides a wide and expansive soundstage full of detail.

It is not until you compare it to something else that is of the same level of respect that you can really tell its negatives as well as its positives. Phasure Lush is a more rounded, natural sound. Listening back to the Curious, the Curious is found to be a bit edgy and abrasive, tonally natural instruments are less real, thinner (think classical guitar and piano, they sound less full and real), but it does separate everything well.

The Phasure Lush wins it sounds more natural, but maaaaaybe there's a slight lack of detail, and it's just a touch dull sounding (this has proven to be much less of an issue once it has really broken in though). If budget only stretches this far, I think it's a great cable. The Curious should really only be preferable in systems that are dull and need livening up at the top end, it injects this character, which only some people will want. I can see how older people with rolled off hearing might like it too.

Now, at toetapaudio, we tried these against the Sablon Reserva Elite USB. The best way to describe it is that it has the best of both, the tonal presentation is closer to the Phasure, but every last bit of detail is there. It's sort of a "goldilocks" thing where everything is simply "right" and there's nothing to criticise. Compared to those other ones (both of them also being half the price or less remember), it seemed to me like it could be all that's ever needed.

It may be overkill in my own system which is lesser (in which I am yet to try it), but certainly something I will be purchasing. The parity between hearing the Curious and Lush within toetap's system and the experience in my own system is enough for me to be convinced of the character and performance of the Sablon.

Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mfin View Post
    Hi all, I am that friend/customer that took round the Curious USB 0.8m and Phasure Lush 0.7m for a bit of comparing. I am completely familiar with these two cables in my own system. I have found the Curious to be the kind of cable you can put in to demonstrate to someone who does not believe they make a difference that they actually do make a difference. It provides a wide and expansive soundstage full of detail.

It is not until you compare it to something else that is of the same level of respect that you can really tell its negatives as well as its positives. Phasure Lush is a more rounded, natural sound. Listening back to the Curious, the Curious is found to be a bit edgy and abrasive, tonally natural instruments are less real, thinner (think classical guitar and piano, they sound less full and real), but it does separate everything well.

The Phasure Lush wins it sounds more natural, but maaaaaybe there's a slight lack of detail, and it's just a touch dull sounding (this has proven to be much less of an issue once it has really broken in though). If budget only stretches this far, I think it's a great cable. The Curious should really only be preferable in systems that are dull and need livening up at the top end, it injects this character, which only some people will want. I can see how older people with rolled off hearing might like it too.

Now, at toetapaudio, we tried these against the Sablon Reserva Elite USB. The best way to describe it is that it has the best of both, the tonal presentation is closer to the Phasure, but every last bit of detail is there. It's sort of a "goldilocks" thing where everything is simply "right" and there's nothing to criticise. Compared to those other ones (both of them also being half the price or less remember), it seemed to me like it could be all that's ever needed.

It may be overkill in my own system which is lesser (in which I am yet to try it), but certainly something I will be purchasing. The parity between hearing the Curious and Lush within toetap's system and the experience in my own system is enough for me to be convinced of the character and performance of the Sablon.
    In a Lampi where there is no need for 5v power, the Lush is transformed by the Power cutting adapter. It improves by several orders of magnitude and plays with the biggest names out there like the LH cable. I never heard the Sablon USB cable though I see many people rate it.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    In a Lampi where there is no need for 5v power, the Lush is transformed by the Power cutting adapter. It improves by several orders of magnitude and plays with the biggest names out there like the LH cable. I never heard the Sablon USB cable though I see many people rate it.
    @Wisnon - this is equally true of many usb cables but no power line is better than putting an adaptor in the signal path, which is why I offer an unpowered version for dacs with Amenaro input cards, mainly Lampi / T&A / Nagra. I have only heard good things about the Lush usb cable and it seems like the go to choice at its price point. Although I’m sure it wasn’t your intention, you appear to be suggesting that its power line implementation is somewhat flawed, which would surprise me given the expertise of its designer.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Dealer for SGM Music Server

Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablon Audio View Post
    @Wisnon - this is equally true of many usb cables but no power line is better than putting an adaptor in the signal path, which is why I offer an unpowered version for dacs with Amenaro input cards, mainly Lampi / T&A / Nagra. I have only heard good things about the Lush usb cable and it seems like the go to choice at its price point. Although I’m sure it wasn’t your intention, you appear to be suggesting that its power line implementation is somewhat flawed, which would surprise me given the expertise of its designer.
    No, its deliberately NOT made to USB 2.0 standard, but instead only followed the mantra of SQ. It does need to have power to work with every dac out there. Perhaps they need an upwered version. One can also make any cable unpowered by covering lines 1 and 4 with Cellotape! My powercutter is gold plated.

Addicted to Best!
    I borrowed a Corona Elite power cable from Sablon last week, it had Furutech ncf plugs and a synergistic research 13 amp (uk) blue fuse fitted .

My cables have Oyaide iec and Furutech 13amp (uk) plugs with Kimber 8TC cable. They have done me well for a good few years. I have a dedicated power supply to an isolation transformer plus an old Furman balanced power conditioner.

Anyway, thought it would be worth trying something more up to date.

I tried the Corona in my Lampi GG, phono stage and pre-amp.

It made a difference to all the equipment I tried it with, and most noticeably with the pre. It was not night and day but the sound quality was decidedly improved somehow. It took awhile to work out what the cable was doing, imo it was lowering the noise floor slightly and increasing the dynamic range particularly in the lower registers. I listen to a lot of piano music - one of the things I noticed with the Corona, it enhanced the sense of keys being struck firmly, the percussive element. In particular, on KJ's Koln concert - besides the dynamic contrast mentioned, his foot stomping became more tangible and spatial clues became more evident.

I only had it for a limited time but felt it was contributing to an increased involvement with the music being played, across the board. Other posters have talked about it blowing their existing cables away, I did not feel this was the case for me, maybe because I have a reasonably sorted power supply chain enabling the system to work pretty well. That said I shall be purchasing one soon, would also like to try out more than one as I guess the effect would be cumulative.
    Last edited by dctom; 03-01-2018 at 05:58 AM. Reason: missed word

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Dave, wise decision. I’ve always had super results w Mark’s cables, but esp his power cords.
    I think you’ve summed it up nicely, a dropping of the noise floor, increase in “natural” detail (not the etched illusion of detail I heard w one very well regarded make), and w the Elites especially, warmth and texture but w no repercussions on speed or agility.
    Live w it for a few days, and see where it takes you.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast