Sablon Audio Reserva experience. Affordable S.O.T.A.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
I borrowed a Corona Elite power cable from Sablon last week, it had Furutech ncf plugs and a synergistic research 13 amp (uk) blue fuse fitted .

My cables have Oyaide iec and Furutech 13amp (uk) plugs with Kimber 8TC cable. They have done me well for a good few years. I have a dedicated power supply to an isolation transformer plus an old Furman balanced power conditioner.

Anyway, thought it would be worth trying something more up to date.

I tried the Corona in my Lampi GG, phono stage and pre-amp.

It made a difference to all the equipment I tried it with, and most noticeably with the pre. It was not night and day but the sound quality was decidedly improved somehow. It took awhile to work out what the cable was doing, imo it was lowering the noise floor slightly and increasing the dynamic range particularly in the lower registers. I listen to a lot of piano music - one of the things I noticed with the Corona, it enhanced the sense of keys being struck firmly, the percussive element. In particular, on KJ's Koln concert - besides the dynamic contrast mentioned, his foot stomping became more tangible and spatial clues became more evident.

I only had it for a limited time but felt it was contributing to an increased involvement with the music being played, across the board. Other posters have talked about it blowing their existing cables away, I did not feel this was the case for me, maybe because I have a reasonably sorted power supply chain enabling the system to work pretty well. That said I shall be purchasing one soon, would also like to try out more than one as I guess the effect would be cumulative.

Dave, I found the Sablon PC gets even better over time and leaving without disturbing.

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
My experience with Sablon Audio cables just keeps getting better. I started off reading a good review of the elite reserva usb cable. I wrote to Mark Coles at Sablon Audio and he made one for me to use with my Lampizator Big 7. It has been my usb cable since the day I installed it. It has taked a few steps but I have Sablon Corona reserva elite power cables, Panatela interconnects, and Panatela speaker cables in my system now. I am very happy with the sound of my system low noise, detail, dynamic. The cables just seem to let me enjoy my music without hearing the cables doing anything to the music. I have tried them with different speakers, amps and sources in my system and the cables seem to work well with every change I try. The Sablon cables let me spend alot more time listening to my music instead of listening to my system.

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
I was a forum member that Mark sent a box of his cables for me to evaluate...this included his ethernet cable, Power cord, and balanced IC's....I found Mark to be very responsive, reasonable, and helpful.
Here are my results: Ethernet: clearly one of the best ethernet cables I've heard...I compared against standard Cat 6, Wireworld Starlight Cat 8 and Wireworld Platinum Cat 8. Its full body, detailed, transparent, and removes some of the digital glare. Its flexible, and well shielded, and priced at good point. I intend to place an order for two cables from switch to NAS, and NAS to dCS NB.

Power cords: Here is where I feel the Sablon really shines...I compared against Tara Labs and High Fidelity Ultra PC...one of best power cords that worked well in my system. Loved the high quality Furutech plugs.. I had it plugged into my Hegel H-30 stereo amp, and it made a great improvement. I was told to try on my DAC, but cable not long enough to reach. I agree with above posters about their experience with his PC's... and he is willing to make cords to custom lengths if needed. I intend to purchase 2, and will put my money where my review is.

Interconnects: very pretty IC's with high quality push/pull jeweled connectors. These cables were new, and sounded a bit thin, and were not broken in. My evaluation period was only for 2 weeks, and I did not have the patience to break them in, while also evaluating the PC's and ethernet cable. I therefore am unable to provide a honest evaluation of them, since I choose not to really spend the time, and my analog balanced TA cables were working well, and synergistic to my other TA cables.

Overall; I can recommend highly the Sablon line of audio cables, they are well built, perform as advertised, and in my system, with my ears bested my existing cables, with the caveat that his balanced IC's were not broken in. As a dealer/owner, I find Mark to be extremely easy to work with, and a true pleasure. His brand is not well known here in states, but I hope my folks become willing to try his stuff in their rigs.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
4 years in to having Mark’s Sablon cables in my system, his stuff can still surprise and totally delight.
I’ve been concentrating in the last 4 months getting my analog to sound as good as possible, in the process commissioning a dedicated overspecced psu for my tt motor speed controller.
Previously this was a stock item w captive UK plug power cord.
So when I set up the new psu, I now needed a pwr cord, and used a spare Sablon QGC from the period before current Reservas/Elites.
And absolutely fine it’s been, allowing my analog w the new psu to be the best by far it’s ever sounded.
I thought I’d try the Elite pwr cord from my cdp in an a/b, skeptical much difference would be heard - I mean, this is for the motor, not a source component or even pre.
Boy, was I wrong.
It needed all of 3 seconds to hear the difference, and be immediately aware of the gulf. Indeed this takes the cake as most radical experience of Mark’s cables, save for the very first Sablon experience on my preamp 4 years ago.
As I’m playing an Al Di Meola album that I know very well, instantly I realise there’s a lot more to get to know.
Lines of percussion that were reticent or vague before are startlingly brought into clear relief, bass lines a little hazy before, now totally persistent, and just an amazing opening up of air and soundstage.
Go to Yes 90125, and compression artefacts aren’t eliminated, but smoothed a little, so that the listen is easier, and the emotion gets thru more directly.
Now, it’s helping that my system is coming of age in the new room, transparency and responsiveness are vastly beyond anything I’ve ever had before, my analog is just full on, and so positives like this tt motor Elite can prove to be radical.
Two things are happening to explain such an upstick. Reducing noise is both aiding speed stability, allowing the tt to perform more to its potential. And reduction of noise floor is lifting previously obscured musical info to be truly audible and significant.
Whatever, I cannot get enough of this most recent change.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Marc and all Sablon Users,

Mark just told me that he will launch a "King Sablon" powercord soon.
He has pulled all the stops out and this new flagship model will have the Bocchino A/C plugs!

It may be beyond my reach but would you please contact Mark and I hope that you will share your experience on it very soon on WBF.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, I’m afraid that’s not going to happen.

I’m so happy with things as they are, that once my final Reserva pwr cords get upgraded to Elite status, I’m done.

Someone else will have to take the plunge re King Sablon.

I do know someone who has done some beta testing on the King Sablon, and says they’re even less “hifi” than the Elites.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I had some interesting fb from an Australian customer who isn’t a WBF member on my lan cable. He has a well tuned high end system (mostly Nagra electronics and Tidal speakers) and replaced a cat 7 ethernet / lan cable from an audiophile preferred brand feeding his streamer

I have installed the Ethernet cable and frankly, I am blown away by the result. My system is up there in terms of resolution and nuance and your Ethernet cable is stunning. Soundstage, delicacy, musicality, dynamics....all that stuff! Analogue like. Wasn't prepared for this level of improvement. I will jump on the forums and put it out there!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mark has convinced me to replace my stock Cat6a Ethernet cable to my audio room with his more purpose built Reserva LAN one.

As someone not even with a computer audio set up yet, it’s testament to Mark’s quality loom, and his persistence at getting me to prioritise the foundation of the set up ahead of install, that I’m considering this.

The review above is
1- pretty compelling in its own right, and
2- totally sums up the benefits I’ve had from the rest of my Reservas/Elites loom

So it makes sense not to hobble my computer audio right at the start.

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I have placed an order with Mark for both his Reserva USB cable and ethernet LAN cable. I'm looking forward to see what they bring to my NAS streaming system.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Mark has convinced me to replace my stock Cat6a Ethernet cable to my audio room with his more purpose built Reserva one.

As someone not even with a computer audio set up yet, it’s testament to Mark’s quality loom, and his persistence at getting me to prioritise the foundation of the set up ahead of install, that I’m considering this.

The review above is
1- pretty compelling in its own right, and
2- totally sums up the benefits I’ve had from the rest of my Reservas/Elites loom

So it makes sense not to hobble my computer audio right at the start.

I've lurked on here for many years, and don't post much, but I'm excited to see you take the plunge into computer audio. I've seen you withstand the criticisms of others and persevere to do things in your own way and time. I hope it simply makes you listen to more music, which is an irreplaceable part of this madness.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Adamaley, I still have misgivings about the whole enterprise, but I can’t deny the potential fascinating avenues I could go down.

I may be the only person who’s going down this route while maintaining a cdp, and choosing to actively buy cds (plus lps as well).

For me, I’d like to see what’s out there, have more “party” nights, and see if my listening habits or search parameters change.

And this means not going for an entry level streaming solution that will be embarrassed by my tt and cdp, or a more pricey SOTA solution that I cannot justify on Day One.

I do know that Mark’s Sablon cables will enhance the whole experience, and so I’m committed to going the Ethernet LAN cable route to, maybe a whole run of 50-60’. We’ll see as I get closer to crunch time.

Re yr decision, I can’t speak for the USB and IAN cables, but I’m about to fully complete a Reservas/Elites loom, and I have no reason to doubt you’ll be very happy.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I agree that going into it wholeheartedly is the best approach. Loving the sound before tweaks will help you endure the quirks of computer audio. I look forward to learning the components you will be going with (if that hasn't been disclosed on some other thread I may have missed.)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can I call you Adam?

I think I’m going to settle on something like the Roon Nucleus Plus and T&A Dac8.

Unfortunately my budget is kind of close to zero, so it’s not going to happen for a while.

Adam, I’m touched you’re following my non career in computer audio LOL, but absolutely no one else should pay any attention to my frankly uninformed and borderline CA phobic ramblings .

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My username is my actual last name. I've always enjoyed your musings regarding your systems' evolutions, and I'll enjoy your digital journey just the same.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mr. Adamaley, that’s v nice of you to say. I’m hoping to kinda get lucky first time of asking re CA.

Listen, this is all seriously off topic, maybe I’ll start (yet another) thread, and you can do your best to help me out .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
PM sent to you, Mr. A.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Final two Reserva Elites installed, on my Zu subs.
So comes to an end some 4 years of going down the Sablon road, and there is absolutely no need to investigate any other cables.
These last two Elites have really boosted the low end, texture and heft especially, with a little added air and imaging.
The journey truly feels complete, because one of my on going reservations re my Zus was frustration at inability to truly meld lower mids and bass.
The new room got me 90% there, and the Elites have contributed a lot to that last 10%.

I really feel they're the real deal, and would implore anyone undecided on cables that wants a superbly holistic sound without breaking the bank, to give Sablon due consideration.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe one of my final comments, I've reached the end of the road on my cable journey that started off in 1997 w all Roksan, thru Hovland, Zu Event, Acoustic Zen, Argento, Audience, and the odd trial of others like Nordost, Russ Andrews and Entreq.

Have stuck w Mark and his Sablon for close on 5 years now, Panatella and Corona, now Reserva and Elite.

The final Elite pwr cords went on my Zu subs, uptick in texture and density. Maybe too much, my cdp sound a little ripe and over cooked.
I caught Tang's experience w Dave in his AS2000 install where Dave got Tang to take the subs out, so I thought why not take my Zu subs output as minimal as possible.

A few days playing about and I've hit a great balance, I'm finally listening to the spkrs, not the subs.

What this now means is that all my system optimisation incl Sablon loom and everything else is now coming out of a veil or fog I had before.

And the Reservas/Elites are shown to be amazingly open and textured, a great balance of detail, agility, weight, air and even handedness.

"Less (subs output) is more (correct bass etc)" really applies here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing