Bob Katz on DSP and Hi-Res

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I watched it live and my buddy Scott even asked some of my questions. Bob seems to be quite the character. His impressions on the subject are a lot like mine I must say, as far as DSD is concerned. I will stick with PCM for now. Maybe when there's thousands of Octo DSD I will jump in. :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I watched it live and my buddy Scott even asked some of my questions. Bob seems to be quite the character. His impressions on the subject are a lot like mine I must say, as far as DSD is concerned. I will stick with PCM for now. Maybe when there's thousands of Octo DSD I will jump in. :)

"The World has moved on past the ladder DACs." I love it! He hates NOS ladder DACs.

I used to own a TotalDac. He heckled me for it on another forum. At the time, I was pissed off at him for ripping my TotalDac. That was several years ago. Since that time, I've learned why NOS ladder DACs are so hated by folks like Katz. I now totally agree with his perspective. I think Bob Katz is awesome. I have personally learned much just reading his posts on the Acourate forum.

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Which is why I asked about the Schiit which is an up sampling ladder DAC as I knew he was surprised at how good a ladder DAC can sound. I know mine (Schiit multibit) sounds fantastic, deep bass, lively you are there sound but not bright in the least, excellent depth. All for not a ton of $ by audiophile standards.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
"The World has moved on past the ladder DACs." I love it! He hates NOS ladder DACs.

I used to own a TotalDac. He heckled me for it on another forum. At the time, I was pissed off at him for ripping my TotalDac. That was several years ago. Since that time, I've learned why NOS ladder DACs are so hated by folks like Katz. I now totally agree with his perspective. I think Bob Katz is awesome. I have personally learned much just reading his posts on the Acourate forum.

We're close by...one day I need to get to Dallas or you to Austin. Out of curiosity, what did you move onto?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
We're close by...one day I need to get to Dallas or you to Austin. Out of curiosity, what did you move onto?
Are you Ralph's buddy? I may have you confused with someone else.

I'd love to have you over. I use a pro DAC now. I use a Lynx Hilo. Since I started using digital crossovers and DSP, I had to abandon the totalDAC.

Michael.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Which is why I asked about the Schiit which is an up sampling ladder DAC as I knew he was surprised at how good a ladder DAC can sound. I know mine (Schiit multibit) sounds fantastic, deep bass, lively you are there sound but not bright in the least, excellent depth. All for not a ton of $ by audiophile standards.

It looks interesting. I checked with Schiit and it won't work in my setup. The max output is too low.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
So for you Michael it is not THE Schiit :eek:

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Bob Katz has been my mastering engineer for 25 years. He's a genius and not afraid to tell you that. :b

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I like his Bombay Dub Orchestra. It definitely gave my Jl audio subs a good workout. It's also suprisinginly sophisticated for EDM style music. There's a real big and natural sounding image to it. Very kewl!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Are you Ralph's buddy? I may have you confused with someone else.

I'd love to have you over. I use a pro DAC now. I use a Lynx Hilo. Since I started using digital crossovers and DSP, I had to abandon the totalDAC.

Michael.
Nope not Ralph's buddy...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Sorry. My friend Ralph has a friend in Austin with a very similar system to yours. He has big rockports in a nice room.

it's ok, I think I know who you're referring to. very curious the direction you went...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing