GIK Soffit traps. Before and after

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
After completing my speakers and amp, I decided to start treating my room. With some help from Brian at GIK, we decided to start with 8 soffit traps in the front 4 corners of my room. 4 of them are bass limited, the others are normal type. They have really smoothed out my room, and helped out with decay immensely. Everything is tighter and much more vivid. My next step is to deal with the problem at 50hz. That will come sometime next year.

Here are some measurements and pictures. The red trace/graphs are with the treatments. Green is without.

http://imgur.com/a/dQy2I

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
Did you ever deal with the 50Hz dip?

My experience is that, when using no smoothing on the frequency response graphs, the dips like that are very narrow and don't have an effect on the sound. When for example I play test tones, even those spaced at 1Hz (obtainable here: http://realtraps.com/test-cd.htm) I couldn't hear what was missing.

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
Not yet. I think I'm going to tackle it using 2-4 subs instead of treatments. It's just a matter of deciding what I want to build for the subs, and how I want to integrate them into my existing system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing