Nadac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Getting hold of Emotion is not too difficult and make the output device I posted is not too expensive :)

...or make your own ASIO player like some friends of mine have done :D
They are now exploring the possibility to talk to Ravenna directly through RTSP and SDP protocols, bypassing ASIO.

Cool stuff! I would probably make my own summing interface, since you need a breakout cable anyways if you don't use it. I would use silver/gold Neotech hookup wire, with Furutech silver solder, and Furutech XLR's. Then install it inside of a nice billet aluminum case that plugs directly onto the DB25 connector.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
It works perfectly fine with a standard router for everyone else.

My experience is that you cannot just plug the Nadac into a standard router eg an AIrport Extreme in my case ( thereby into your LAN) and have it reliably connect to a server also on your LAN. It won't. Presumably because then it has two unmanaged switches - but none of that means much to me. All I know is in order to use their App it has t be on your LAN, and it can't be on your LAN if something else is, at least through a standard AE.

As I understand it Merging have in fact written custom firmware for a Dell switch, dedicating 4 ports to the Nadac/Hapi. Why not package one preconfigured if that would solve the issue. Who cares if it is redundant? so what? There is $120 of Dell redundancy there. I would prefer redundancy and something that worked as intended, than something that doesn't or may not. That is all I'm saying: that Merging should make it as close to a plug and play experience as they can for the likely target market, which is middle aged audiophiles with the cash to buy one of these things. Most of the target audience will only have my level of computer audio experience, at best. Probably alot less. Ditto the dealers.

With respect mate, unless and until you have a Nadac in your living room, your comments, while helpful and well intentioned, are not borne of experience. Mine are. Perhaps you may care to keep that in mind.

If you want mine, I'll sell it to you, and you can go to town.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
My experience is that you cannot just plug the Nadac into a standard router eg an AIrport Extreme in my case ( thereby into your LAN) and have it reliably connect to a server also on your LAN. It won't. Presumably because then it has two unmanaged switches - but none of that means much to me. All I know is in order to use their App it has t be on your LAN, and it can't be on your LAN if something else is, at least through a standard AE.

As I understand it Merging have in fact written custom firmware for a Dell switch, dedicating 4 ports to the Nadac/Hapi. Why not package one preconfigured if that would solve the issue. Who cares if it is redundant? so what? There is $120 of Dell redundancy there. I would prefer redundancy and something that worked as intended, than something that doesn't or may not. That is all I'm saying: that Merging should make it as close to a plug and play experience as they can for the likely target market, which is middle aged audiophiles with the cash to buy one of these things. Most of the target audience will only have my level of computer audio experience, at best. Probably alot less. Ditto the dealers.

With respect mate, unless and until you have a Nadac in your living room, your comments, while helpful and well intentioned, are not borne of experience. Mine are. Perhaps you may care to keep that in mind.

If you want mine, I'll sell it to you, and you can go to town.

I'm just trying to figure out how you have it connected. because i'm hearing other things from other guys who have it. Even Kingsrule on this thread is using a standard ASUS router with the fiber and it's working. You are talking about 2 unmanaged switches, yet you only mention the airport extreme.

I just want people reading this thread to not walk away confused. We have 1 guy saying 1 way works, and 1 guy saying it doesn't. And we still don't have a clear explanation on how you have the final setup. I explained 3 different setup scenarios earlier that should work, which one of them are you using?

The thing about networks is you either do it 100% right, or it's 100% wrong. The dual lan situation is something most won't be using either, and is also adding extra confusion into the mix.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I can confirm your general experience.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I can confirm your general experience.

I think Andrew is talking about using dual LAN's, because his motherboard has dual LAN outputs. What is your general experience that you are confirming with your setup? As far as I can understand, if your only using 1 lan and 1 router, everything will be fine. It's when you start messing around with multiple switches and LAN's, is when the trouble starts.

However, I explained 2 other scenarios that should work for a dual LAN situation, but never heard any confirmation if they were even attempted.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Meh, I'm over it.

Audio is a hobby for me, its meant to be fun. This little adventure stopped being fun a little while ago.

I'll return the Nadac when it comes back from review, or sell it on. In which case expect to see it in the for sale here. There is no mileage for me pursuing it further. Time I focused on my business, not someone else's.

I'll ask that thread be closed.

Thanks for all the contributions.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Meh, I'm over it.

Audio is a hobby for me, its meant to be fun. This little adventure stopped being fun a little while ago.

I'll return the Nadac when it comes back from review, or sell it on. In which case expect to see it in the for sale here. There is no mileage for me pursuing it further. Time I focused on my business, not someone else's.

I'll ask that thread be closed.

Thanks for all the contributions.

Sorry but doesn't make sense that you say it's game changing DSD quality, but talk about how horrible it is to setup, but won't explain how you even hooked everything up. I spent lots of time trying to help you out with this.

For others 5 minutes of setup and everything works flawless, so this is very odd if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing