How best to determine acoustic corrections?

MikeSp

Oct 23, 2010
South of Kansas City, MO
I am interested in running some sort of software that will help me determine which acoustic corrections would help my HD/audio room the most. After that process and the additions of appropriate acoustic panels, then I can run the subwoofer EQ for my three subs through the SMS-1 parametric equalizer, THEN run Lyngdorf Room Perfect in my pre-pro.

While the SMS-1 and Room Perfect can make up for some acoustic problems, it would be best to tune up the room as much as possible before using them.

Therefore, what is a reasonably accurate but user-friendly program to help with determine what acoustic corrections need to be made and NOT a piece that is always active since it would be a duplication.

REW has a far steeper learning curve than I care to learn plus it appears to work best with BFD and again, I do not want a permanent piece added to my system since it already has EQ plus Room Correction.

Recommendations/opinions??

Thanks,

MikeSp

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
You might try XTZ Room Analyzer which is a simple, easy to use measurement mic, external soundcard and measurement software in a box.

(that's all I will write since I do sell this product and I would prefer this not to be taken as spam but just a suggestion as to something you could review and make your own choice around)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Good suggestion. However, it will not make specific recommendations about room configuration and treatment but, of course, none of the other products mentioned will do that either. CARA and RoomOptimizer will but, since they are not based on measurements and only on room modeling, they are less specific than they are advertised to be.

MikeSp

Oct 23, 2010
South of Kansas City, MO
XTZ appears to be what I am seeking -- have never used an external soundcard but if I can build computers, that should not be a problem. Can I assume that somewhere there are explanations of the graphed data so that the user would have some understanding that the issue was first reflections, the need for diffusers, bass traps, etc.?

MikeSp

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Good suggestion. However, it will not make specific recommendations about room configuration and treatment but, of course, none of the other products mentioned will do that either.

XTZ appears to be what I am seeking -- have never used an external soundcard but if I can build computers, that should not be a problem. Can I assume that somewhere there are explanations of the graphed data so that the user would have some understanding that the issue was first reflections, the need for diffusers, bass traps, etc.?
Nope. It leaves you with graphs and recommended correction filters. That's it. I do not know of a short-cut around learning something about acoustics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nope. It leaves you with graphs and recommended correction filters. That's it. I do not know of a short-cut around learning something about acoustics.

Although I have no expertise in acoustics and can not comment on the following opinion, some people think that acoustic measurements are too complicated to be evaluated by amateurs, and that best way for amateurs is to start with simulations, if they do not want to spend money hiring a qualified professional.

I have used the inexpensive Cara software in the past to model my listening room and got good agreement with the RTA and RT60 measurements that were carried later.

http://www.cara.de/ENU/index.html

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yes, CARA has already been suggested and it is a good way to start, especially if one has options for the actual room construction. For a purely rectangular room, Room Optimizer will be OK and also offers suggestions for treatment.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

MikeSp

The interpretation of the measurements is something you have a couple of choices on:
1) learn some of the acoustic science yourself, there are lots of resources on the web at RealTraps site and also on my site
2) hire a professional
3) post your graphs to one of the many forums, there are many people who are happy to help interpret your graph and make suggestions

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I am interested in running some sort of software that will help me determine which acoustic corrections would help my HD/audio room the most. After that process and the additions of appropriate acoustic panels...

Room measuring software shows the frequency response and other problems now present in the room, and how much better it got after treatment. It will not tell you where to put bass traps and other panels. But that's very simple. This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
This is going to sound harsh; I do not mean it that way, sorry.

If REW is too hard you should save your money and hire a local acoustics expert to help. You'll learn a bit and save yourself a lot of work.

The last time I worked with a consultant we used a program that would very accurately model a room of virtually any shape, and allow you to see the effects of placing treatment, changing wall material, etc. It did a pretty good job at modeling our church. It cost around $10k plus a PC to run it, and all the measurement hardware to get accurate baselines and comparison data.

All imo - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing