Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In anticipation of my wife accompanying me at numerous loudspeaker auditions we went to a record store and I asked her to find a few of her favorite albums on vinyl so she will have songs to play on the systems we audition. Jeff Buckley's Grace is one of the albums she selected because she loves the song "Hallelujah," written by Leonard Cohen. (I should have suspected Leonard Cohen after I heard the song for the first time!)

My wife first played this song on the Avantgarde Trios with Basshorns, and then again on the Genesis 1.1. I had never heard this song before, and I had never heard of Jeff Buckley.

I think Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is absolutely fantastic! It turns out that "Hallelujah" has been covered 60 times. See http://www.newsweek.com/60-versions-leonard-cohens-hallelujah-ranked-303580

Acoustic Sounds stocks a 45 rpm version of Grace, remastered by Bernie Grundman.

I have come to love the song, too! I think it is right up there with Stevie Nick's "Landslide" on Fleetwood Mac. It seems to be pretty well-recorded (for pop music) too.

Am I the only one who did not know this song, and Jeff Buckley's cover of it?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's a wonderful version and I'm familiar with it, although I'm not a huge Jeff Buckley fan.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh I have known the song. It is a cover by many people and one of my favorites. This rendition is nice too:

Actually I don't think I have ever heard a cover of it that I have not liked!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
In anticipation of my wife accompanying me at numerous loudspeaker auditions we went to a record store and I asked her to find a few of her favorite albums on vinyl so she will have songs to play on the systems we audition. Jeff Buckley's Grace is one of the albums she selected because she loves the song "Hallelujah," written by Leonard Cohen. (I should have suspected Leonard Cohen after I heard the song for the first time!)

My wife first played this song on the Avantgarde Trios with Basshorns, and then again on the Genesis 1.1. I had never heard this song before, and I had never heard of Jeff Buckley.

I think Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is absolutely fantastic! It turns out that "Hallelujah" has been covered 60 times. See http://www.newsweek.com/60-versions-leonard-cohens-hallelujah-ranked-303580

Acoustic Sounds stocks a 45 rpm version of Grace, remastered by Bernie Grundman.

I have come to love the song, too! I think it is right up there with Stevie Nick's "Landslide" on Fleetwood Mac. It seems to be pretty well-recorded (for pop music) too.

Am I the only one who did not know this song, and Jeff Buckley's cover of it?

If you think his cover of the Cohen song is magnificent..check out his cover of "Lilac Wine" by Nina Simone. Devastating.

I saw him perform the entire Grace album in 1995, from a few feet away, at Sony Studios..with candles, and persian rugs as the set...

Mind blowing, and when he died I was extremely upset.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Let's post our favorite covers of it. Let me start it by the man himself, Leonard Cohen who wrote the original:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is another interesting version.

But I think I like the Jeff Buckley one the best.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
There are many, many great covers of this song, Buckley's was one of the first.

It has only been the last 5-6 years that I started to appreciate Leonard Cohen's genius. You will find that his songs have been covered by many, many artists during his long career . I was fortunate to see him in concert a couple of years ago. At 78 years old Cohen was "on stage" for over 3 hours. He and his 9 piece band did 29 songs. The band was note perfect and the sound was as good as any concert I have attended.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The Blu-Ray has her best version of the song. It's one of my go to videos. I've had people in my room tearing up watching that video. I believe she sang the song at the Montreal Olympics.

She one of only 2 or 3 artists who can cover Roy Orbison's Crying, and if you seek out a video of that you will most likely be in awe as am I.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I like the bono version

:p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Blu-Ray has her best version of the song. It's one of my go to videos. I've had people in my room tearing up watching that video. I believe she sang the song at the Montreal Olympics.

She one of only 2 or 3 artists who can cover Roy Orbison's Crying, and if you seek out a video of that you will most likely be in awe as am I.

I knew there was more to liking you than your choice of Tequilas Ron :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

This is superb Ron. What is the name of the Blu-ray?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah found it. And ordered :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ang blu-ray&qid=1449796417&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Best version EVER! And I'll second your opinion on her cover of Roy Orbison's Crying as well. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Oh I have known the song. It is a cover by many people and one of my favorites. This rendition is nice too:

Actually I don't think I have ever heard a cover of it that I have not liked!

One of the most emotionally moving renditions of any song I've ever heard. The guitar and vocals are perfection. Thanks for posting it.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing