Can the DEQX HDP-5™ • Preamp processor work with JBL M2's .......

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Can the DEQX HDP-5™ • Preamp processor work with JBL M2's and my own amps instead of the packaged options that come standard.

http://deqx.com/product-hdp5-overview.php

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Can the DEQX HDP-5™ • Preamp processor work with JBL M2's and my own amps instead of the packaged options that come standard.
What "packaged options that come standard" are you referring to? It does not come with amps and speakers.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Kal,

The JBL M2's are available with Crown Audio amps with built-in crossovers and a more expensive package with Levinson amps and crossovers.

My question is (and I think a friend answered it for me) pertains to the bare M2 speakers with a totally different crossover.

It seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You would need to get an exception from Harman and they are only going to do that if your dealer is an expert acoustician and can make sure the system still sounds good and nothing will be damaged. The number of people consider such is less than the number of fingers on one hand :). If you lived next to us, we could do it for you. But otherwise as you say, it is not worth going there.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hi Kal,

The JBL M2's are available with Crown Audio amps with built-in crossovers and a more expensive package with Levinson amps and crossovers.

My question is (and I think a friend answered it for me) pertains to the bare M2 speakers with a totally different crossover.

It seems to be more trouble than it's worth.
I do not see why you could not do it. Use the M2s with your choice of power amps and use the DEQX as processor, EQ and crossover. However, this is an off-script operation, so you need to know what you are doing.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
You would need to get an exception from Harman and they are only going to do that if your dealer is an expert acoustician and can make sure the system still sounds good and nothing will be damaged. The number of people consider such is less than the number of fingers on one hand :). If you lived next to us, we could do it for you. But otherwise as you say, it is not worth going there.

Hi Amir,

I so wish I was close to you. I know that you'd take care of me. It simply is not worth the hassle at this point.

I do not see why you could not do it. Use the M2s with your choice of power amps and use the DEQX as processor, EQ and crossover. However, this is an off-script operation, so you need to know what you are doing.

Hi Kal,

I believe the drivers need specific curves applied and I believe I'd be on my own. Again. They are making it too difficult.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Yes.

You would want to measure the speaker outside to get good measurement for the speaker correction, which will generate linear phase speaker correction and crossover filters.

Note that you can't exactly replicate the M2 DSP by simply porting the settings over to the DEQX. You are essentially just starting from scratch, informed by the crossover points that JBL use. JBL filters are IIR, DEQX are FIR. It's worth noting you can't just port settings from any pro DSP to another DSP, as each DSP implements their filters slightly differently. You really have to measure the response with the factory provided DSP unit, and then substitute in another unit and adjust to match.

We can provide a DEQX unit and do all the measurements and setup for you remotely. It would be an interesting experiment. I do not know if it would sound better or worse than the factory JBL DSP, the only way to know is to try it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing