UHD Display standard being set

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This seems like a very positive development. Blu-ray helped define a lot of the pieces but left out a critical point which is the contrast range required for the display. Assuming all goes well, this will be plugged at CES and hopefully displays will be there to show it off: http://hdguru.com/uhd-alliance-sets-4k-specs-for-ces-unveiling/#more-17256

UHD Alliance Sets 4K Specs For CES Unveiling
December 8th, 2015 · 1 Comment · 2160p, 4K Curved Screeen, 4K Flat Panel, 4K Front Projection, 4K LED LCD, Blu-ray Players, Connected TVs, Curved Screen, Full Array LED Backlit with Local Dimming, HDR, LCD Flat Panel, LED LCD Flat Panels, News, OLED, OLED, Streaming Services, UHD 4K OLED, UHDTV

uhd alliance 580The UHD Alliance (UHDA), an inter-industry group working on achieving consensus on standards involved in the display of 4K Ultra HD video in the home, said Tuesday that it has completed specifications for 4K Ultra HD displays, content and distribution and will formally announce them at CES 2016.

The UHDA, which is represented by key members of the consumer electronics, content production and content distribution industries, said it will also be unveiling a new consumer-facing certification logo to help shoppers quickly identify 4K UHD products that adhere to the specifications “and can deliver the ultimate UHD experience.”

Although many of the 4K Ultra HD specifications have already been published in the Ultra HD Blu-ray specifications announced last summer, a few major points have remained unanswered, including minimum and maximum brightness levels needed to help display makers define sets supporting high dynamic range (HDR).

More on the UHDA specification announcement after the jump:

Industry insiders have told HD Guru that the specification-setting process has dragged on through much of the year, in part, because of disagreements over HDR brightness ranges between LED LCD TV manufacturers and LG and OLED component suppliers, which are championing the needs of OLED TV technology.

Due to inherent technology differences – OLED panels are emissive and generate their own light while LCD TVs are transmissive and require LED back or edge lighting to create a picture — 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TVs and OLED TVs display HDR using different degrees of brightness and darkness.

LCD TVs are capable of higher brightness levels (more than 1,000 nits in some cases) than most OLED display devices, while OLED TVs are capable of achieving “absolute black levels,” because they can completely shut off light at the pixel level. The best LED TVs can do is locally dim zones of LED backlights to near black but not the absolute blackness generated in OLED displays.

Therefore, the two technologies come at HDR from different directions. OLED starts at black and works up 14 to 15 camera f-stops of light (steps of increasing brightness) in the HDR spectrum. LED TVs start at maximum brightness they can generate and work down the 15 stops to the lowest level of black they can achieve.

One of the issues UHDA members have faced is how to arrive at a standard that will satisfy both approaches. Stay tuned for the solution.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Seems to me that the black blacks of OLED makes up for the lower brightess of LCD, especially in a darkened room like I have. Gives the picture more punch. The problem though us that the LG OLEDs don't come out of absolute black very well and to compensate for that in calibration, you loose some of that absolute black. As it appears that the Panasonic OLED solves ths issue with better processing, I bet that HDR will look great on one. However, they cost a ton and are curved and not available in the US. I hope to see one in the UK soon. Hopefully LG will get their act together next year and Panny makes a flat model with their processing available in the US at a more reasonable price.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Seems to me that the black blacks of OLED makes up for the lower brightess of LCD, especially in a darkened room like I have. Gives the picture more punch. The problem though us that the LG OLEDs don't come out of absolute black very well and to compensate for that in calibration, you loose some of that absolute black.

Interesting, although I'm not certain what you mean about "come out of absolute black" ... do you mean the transition from black to color? What aspect of calibration compensates?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
It has nothing to do with color but the ability of the set to properly come out of absolute black to the different steps above black. The LGs have a hard time doing it, resulting in what has come to be called vignetting among other issues. One work around around it is to calibrate the set to render blacks at just above black, the first step above absolute black. However, in doing so, you lose the whole purpose of OLED blacks in the first place. There is a brief description of this issue in this review of the Panasonic OLED.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...tx-65cz950-oled-tv-review-as-good-as-it-gets/

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
K, I understand the context of your post now ... thanks for the link.

Nice to see Panny back in the hi-end hdtv game.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing