Roon now offering free trials without Credit Card

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I received an email from Roon telling me they are giving me a 14 day free trial, with no credit card requirement.

I applaud them for listening to feedback from potential users. Many complained about the CC requirement, and to make it worse, it was not self cancelling. If you did not proactively cancel other trial on the last day you were locked in for a year.

They are also offering a 90 day free trial of Tidal in conjunction with the Roon trial.

This is why I admire Bryston. They listen carefully to customer feedback, and implement upgrades accordingly. In fact, Bryston is working with Roon right now.

Unfortunately I have no use for Roon currently as I do not use a computer as a source. Until it is a stand alone control app, and running on purpose built audio streamers by default it is a curiosity to me. It seems more and more are getting on board.

However if you use a computer as your source, it is probably the way to go if you can stomach the yearly fee.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a good thing although not sure what Bryston has to do with it.

Anyway, on the fee, the best way to deal with it is to think of what else you spend money on. I recently bought a $600 tape. Compared to that the lifetime fee of $450 or so is easily justified. Anyway, best to try it first and then you can judge the value.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Anyway, on the fee, the best way to deal with it is to think of what else you spend money on. I recently bought a $600 tape. Compared to that the lifetime fee of $450 or so is easily justified. Anyway, best to try it first and then you can judge the value.

I mention Bryston in that they are currently working on implementing Roon. They have sent their hardware to Roon and are collaborating.

Nah, that kind of reasoning is nuts, sorry. I would have to completely lose my mind to spend $600 on any media.

Considering the competition does not charge yearly fees, Roon has an uphill battle. They have met a lot of pricing resistance.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Same logic can be used to justify HQplayer. Lifetime membership for $140

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sure. For the type of audience here that spends so much on interconnects, shelving, tweaks, etc, these type of costs should be nothing. But somehow we spend the money there but we bulk at spending it here. I used to be that way. But then got enlightened :).

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013

Not really. The current price buys you HQPlayer up to version 3.xx.
When there is a v4.xx, one will have to pay for an upgrade.

Incidentally, Roon is very soon going to work with HQPlayer.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think one has to assume that a lifetime subscription is the lifetime of the company, not your lifetime. However, if it is well done, then one should think of the lifetime subscription is a contribution to their efforts, not a way of saving money - that would be a bonus. Larry

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Not really. The current price buys you HQPlayer up to version 3.xx.
When there is a v4.xx, one will have to pay for an upgrade.

Incidentally, Roon is very soon going to work with HQPlayer.

I had the older version of HQP and a year later jussi came out with a new version and didn't let me upgrade for free. It doesn't mater to me. I think his convolution engine is worthless for MCH. It doesn't copy channels so one can't do summed (mono) subs. Jriver is much better. For those who enjoy playing with upsampling mathematics, it's great. Acourate convolver is the best.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
I had the older version of HQP and a year later jussi came out with a new version and didn't let me upgrade for free. It doesn't mater to me. I think his convolution engine is worthless for MCH. It doesn't copy channels so one can't do summed (mono) subs. Jriver is much better. For those who enjoy playing with upsampling mathematics, it's great. Acourate convolver is the best.
Perhaps you used an old version of the software. HQPlayer has had matrix processing for routing/filtering/mixing channels (up to 32) since v3.8, almost six months ago. Now we are at v3.11, soon 3.12 with GPU acceleration.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Perhaps you used an old version of the software. HQPlayer has had matrix processing for routing/filtering/mixing channels (up to 32) since v3.8, almost six months ago. Now we are at v3.11, soon 3.12 with GPU acceleration.

Some would rather spend thousands upgrading superficial things, and overlook things that would provide tenfold results, for next to nothing. Not much can be done for these guys. May the best salesman win!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Sure. For the type of audience here that spends so much on interconnects, shelving, tweaks, etc, these type of costs should be nothing. But somehow we spend the money there but we bulk at spending it here. I used to be that way. But then got enlightened :).

This is because there's no smooth talking, well dressed salesmen pushing what matters down our throats. Not much money in pushing media software. Thing is, especially when it comes to DAC's, general purpose off the shelf computers can do a better job at 3/4's of what a $40000 DAC can do, for $140. But hard to put much value on something that doesn't have the high price attached to it.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

That's good he fixed it. Can the matrix sum channels? (Two channels input per output?)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
That's good he fixed it. Can the matrix sum channels? (Two channels input per output?)
Looking at the Matrix, I think so. One can pipeline source channel and output channel.
Honestly, I have used it the other way around: 2 channels input -> 8 channels output.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Looking at the Matrix, I think so. One can pipeline source channel and output channel.
Honestly, I have used it the other way around: 2 channels input -> 8 channels output.

It would be cool if Jussi had an ASIO input so one could use Roon with HQP. I'm using Roon and going out Jriver ASIO so I can use the Jriver convolver or with Acourate Convolver using Acourate ASIO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing