My Visit with Alex @ Alma Music & Audio, La Jolla, California

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yesterday I spent some quality time at Alma Music & Audio with Alex (asiufy).

Alex is a MOST gracious host and I was treated like a big ticket customer even though
I am not shopping for gear. Alex is absolutely one of the most passionate, knowledgeable,
and open minded audiophiles and music lovers I have had the pleasure to meet. Alex was
even nice enough to let me bring my dog Sandy.

The store is gorgeous. Lots of light, beautiful high ceilings, tastefully decorated, with a warm
welcoming feeling. This is NOT your typical stuffy audio salon. And the gear...dear Lord..Alex
& Fabio have amazing taste. And they do not discriminate on customer wallet size. You only have
a couple of grand to spend? S,ure, the iFI Retro system..$500? No problem, the iFI phono stage or DAC..
have a lot more to spend? Sure DartZeel, MSB, YG...got you covered.

And for you Vinyl lovers, the LP selection is truly amazing.

I found a kindred spirit in Alex. We seem to have very similar taste in music and the sound.

Now to the listening!

In the first system, went to a room with the YG Carmel speakers, a AudioPax 100 wpc tube amps (wow!), and a Linn streamer.

I also had my first experience with Tidal. I was very, very impressed..with selection and interface. We were using the Linn Kazoo control
app, which I use at home.

The first track we streamed was the remastered version of Zep's "No Quarter"..wholly smokes..I have never heard the track sound this
good. Ever. From there we streamed a lot of Seal (my choice, big fan), Genesis, etc. The soundstage was so rock solid, precise, and the
top to bottom tonal quality was spot on.

We then streamed the same tracks and more in the front room with a Dart integrated, the famous MSB Select DAC, and the BIG Evolution Acoustics speakers, one
model down from the flagship.

What I heard was pretty shocking. I did NOT expect such delicacy and finesse from such a large scale system And when scale was required, it was there big time.

If you want to hear a system that is pretty much to my ears as life like as you are going to get, contact Alex for a listening session. You won't regret it.

Here are some pics. Alex, btw, feel free to correct me if I mixed up any of the gear. I was lost in the music!

IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1963.JPG

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, Andre! My pleasure to have you in the store! Your visit was long overdue!

You got the gear list spot on, and even the musical selections! That Seal album is now on my "to acquire" list, specially with the acoustic tracks... Good stuff!

Next time we'll play some of the other (not-so-heavy) stuff, like the small Evolutions and the Wharfedales with Hegel (and the killer Auralic Mini streamer!)

cheers,
alex

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks, Andre! My pleasure to have you in the store! Your visit was long overdue!

You got the gear list spot on, and even the musical selections! That Seal album is now on my "to acquire" list, specially with the acoustic tracks... Good stuff!

Next time we'll play some of the other (not-so-heavy) stuff, like the small Evolutions and the Wharfedales with Hegel (and the killer Auralic Mini streamer!)

cheers,
alex

Long overdue indeed!

Next time let's do some prog...the hardcore stuff!! Gentle Giant, Camel, Focus, Soft Machine...more Crimson...Yes...

And let's def. listen to the Hegel/Whardale system.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Andre. I have one of the original Seal albums but no more. I will look at that two-disc combo and King Crimson.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Need some Harmonium buddy!:D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Need some Harmonium buddy!:D

Haha!:cool:

Anyone shop that has a vinyl edition of Gary Clark Jr.s new album is alright by me. :p

These guys are just cool. Anyone who can get just as excited about a $550 streamer (Auralic), a $500 phono stage (iFI), and a $15,000 integrated (DartZeel), has my vote!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, hardcore prog is what I'm good at :) I need an excuse to play this stuff, as it annoys some of my co-workers hehehe
Harmonium? Got them all on my server, on tap!
I played tracks off KC's first, "In the court of the Crimson King", the Steven Wilson remasters, at 24/96. I think we did a little Genesis, the last two tracks (instrumentals) from "Duke", again off the recent remasters. These are not particularly "test tracks" or anything, it's just stuff that came to my head during conversation... Come to think of it, I don't think we played any "audiophile favourites", did we? :D

storelli

Sep 13, 2012
Hi Andre, I'm sorry I couldn't be there yesterday... I'm glad you liked the store and the brands we chose. Come back anytime!!
Best

Fabio Storelli

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, hardcore prog is what I'm good at :) I need an excuse to play this stuff, as it annoys some of my co-workers hehehe
Harmonium? Got them all on my server, on tap!
I played tracks off KC's first, "In the court of the Crimson King", the Steven Wilson remasters, at 24/96. I think we did a little Genesis, the last two tracks (instrumentals) from "Duke", again off the recent remasters. These are not particularly "test tracks" or anything, it's just stuff that came to my head during conversation... Come to think of it, I don't think we played any "audiophile favourites", did we? :D

Ah yes, I remember, it was "I Talk To The Wind", from Court. Lovely stuff.

I thought that track was from Duke. If you can stomach the prices, I highly recommend the Japanese Platinum SHM CDs of the earlier titles.

Your buddies need to get with the program! Prog rules! I will bring some Gong next time and see if they survive!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Andre, I'm sorry I couldn't be there yesterday... I'm glad you liked the store and the brands we chose. Come back anytime!!
Best

Fabio Storelli

Hi Fabio. No worries. I promise you we will meet soon..I may need my monthly shot of coffee at Birdrock. But first I would need to take a loan..:p

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Guys, the one to listen to is the MFSL KC Court --if you can find it. It's getting a little pricey, but if you can source one, it's pretty great.
BTW,anyone here have the original KC Vertigo UK pressings? Impressions?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Guys, the one to listen to is the MFSL KC Court --if you can find it. It's getting a little pricey, but if you can source one, it's pretty great.
BTW,anyone here have the original KC Vertigo UK pressings? Impressions?

They were released on Island, not Vertigo. Sound awesome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing