E.L.O. - Limited Edition Clear vinyl - Sony - Dec 18, 2015

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Johnny-there are old copies that were pressed on blue vinyl and mastered by Stan Ricker (who was the guy behind a lot of the original MoFis, among other records).
Amirm- there's a lot of stuff in the literature about whether the black vinyl, which originally came from the use of carbon black and was intended, among other things, to reduce static (as well as conceal plate out problems) created electromagnetic anomalies. When Classic Records switched to their 'Clarity' formulation (a shade of translucent green) before their demise, they were touting this as well. I'm not sure it makes that much difference- comparing a 45 RPM Tull Aqualung-same mastering- on Clarity v Quiex (or whatever the high-end formulation was that Classic used), there was very little noticeable difference in sound- the Clarity may have been a little quieter.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny-there are old copies that were pressed on blue vinyl and mastered by Stan Ricker (who was the guy behind a lot of the original MoFis, among other records).
Amirm- there's a lot of stuff in the literature about whether the black vinyl, which originally came from the use of carbon black and was intended, among other things, to reduce static (as well as conceal plate out problems) created electromagnetic anomalies. When Classic Records switched to their 'Clarity' formulation (a shade of translucent green) before their demise, they were touting this as well. I'm not sure it makes that much difference- comparing a 45 RPM Tull Aqualung-same mastering- on Clarity v Quiex (or whatever the high-end formulation was that Classic used), there was very little noticeable difference in sound- the Clarity may have been a little quieter.

Bill - Yes I'm aware of those. Just wanted to post this as information. My originals are still in very good shape, so I'm covered anyway.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing