Streamer to kill the big boys for under $250

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No that is a huge bargain at $155. I have no alternative to offer. My case was twice that price and that was for starters :).

And it's not just the price that's attractive. The SBC in that box is built to industrial computer standards. It was made for digital signage to run around the clock in temperature extremes for years. You also get the slick Visual Bios, and UEFI boot capabilities, 64 bit architecture etc. 3 year Warranty, etc. No brainer.

Product brief here:

http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/nucde3815tykhede3815tybebrief.PDF

See datasheet here:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23745/eng/DE3815TYBE_TechProdSpec09.pdf

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hardware ordered. So you are saying now I need to be a MIT graduate to configure it?

If you get the image or stick from me, all you will need to do is pop the stick in, and turn on the power button. If you order the Audiolinux image for 29 Euros, or the USB stick for 49 Euro's (plus shipping from Italy) direct from Audiolinux, you will need to configure yourself. How long it takes to configure, will be based on your skill level. As I mentioned earlier, it took me 44 emails and many hours. But I'm no Linux guru by any stretch. If you are, it would probably be much easier for you.

I can post a guide with screenshots for the initial BIOS setup to disable all unneeded peripherals. It's about a 2 minute procedure. All they do is add to the power consumption and noise footprint of the unit.

Here's the power consumption specs of everything on the board:

image.jpeg

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Order canceled. Mike how is this any use to the masses? Unless you plan to buy and package all items to be plug and play nobody but the geek audiophiles could pull this off.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Order canceled. Mike how is this any use to the masses? Unless you plan to buy and package all items to be plug and play nobody but the geek audiophiles could pull this off.

It is plug and play with the $90 stick I'm offering or the $75 download. I was just talking about if you wanted to save money and configure everything yourself. Please read over my previous post carefully.

"If you get the image or stick from me, all you will need to do is pop the stick in, and turn on the power button"

I guess I left out you will need to plug the power supply into the unit, one end of the USB cable into your DAC, other into the computer, and Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port as well. I've found the USB 2 bus sounds better than the USB3 bus. So I recommend using the USB 3 port for the OS stick, and USB 2 port for the DAC. The USB 3 port is the blue one. You also get faster bootup time as the stick is a USB 3 stick.

The Bios configuration is only to disable features not needed on the computer motherboard. You don't need to do it, but's it just a 1 time 2 minute procedure to reduce the power consumption and noise foot print of the unit.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Guys,

There's a new streamer that has recently hit the market that uses a similar SBC and Linux installation. It's the only one I know of that has HQplayer NAA support. There's a fancy screen on the front, but isn't required for anything if used as an NAA. Likely only adds to the noise footprint. But it is another option that should offer the same functionality and sound. Price is only $1999:

http://www.exasound.com/PP/Overview.aspx

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Okay, Piero has approved everything. So it's a go. Anyone who want's either a USB stick sent to them, or the image download to burn to stick let me know. Also let me know the DAC you are using so I can confirm Linux plug and play compatibility.

Thanks,
Blizzard

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Don't patronize me Mike, you have no clue who I am or what background I may have in regards to computers. This is one sure way of running potential customers away from you.

It is plug and play with the $90 stick I'm offering or the $75 download. I was just talking about if you wanted to save money and configure everything yourself. Please read over my previous post carefully.

"If you get the image or stick from me, all you will need to do is pop the stick in, and turn on the power button"

I guess I left out you will need to plug the power supply into the unit, one end of the USB cable into your DAC, other into the computer, and Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port as well. I've found the USB 2 bus sounds better than the USB3 bus. So I recommend using the USB 3 port for the OS stick, and USB 2 port for the DAC. The USB 3 port is the blue one. You also get faster bootup time as the stick is a USB 3 stick.

The Bios configuration is only to disable features not needed on the computer motherboard. You don't need to do it, but's it just a 1 time 2 minute procedure to reduce the power consumption and noise foot print of the unit.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Don't patronize me Mike, you have no clue who I am or what background I may have in regards to computers. This is one sure way of running potential customers away from you.

I wasn't patronizing you. I was just explaining all the steps over clearly without leaving anything out. And only because I thought the way I explained it in the previous posts may not have been clear enough. Explaining that configuring Linux from scratch was also an option just made things more confusing I guess.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Okay, Piero has approved everything. So it's a go. Anyone who want's either a USB stick sent to them, or the image download to burn to stick let me know. Also let me know the DAC you are using so I can confirm Linux plug and play compatibility.

Thanks,
Blizzard

Vega

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
And what program / application should I use to access the thin client running audiolinux? Any special formatting of my NAS with music files?

This is configured specifically for use with HQplayer running on a server somewhere on the network. It can be configured for Jriver, Airplay etc, but that's not how I have mine configured. The reason it sounds so good is because of the NAA system HQplayer uses. As well as the resampling algorithms and modulators HQplayer uses. I've gone over all of these details already with Amir earlier in the thread.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I will stick to my Aurender, the convenience is worth the price of admission.

This is for people who want better sound than the Aurender can provide for under $250. Actually $230 with the download. But no, HQplayer can't run on a NAS. you must have a server computer for HQ player as described earlier in the thread.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
This is misleading as you would need a dedicated pc running HQplayer to even use the $250 streamer. You should include a minimum server spec sheet to enable the streamer. Then links to purchase the server and instructions to configure both. Plus the cost of any associated software.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
This is misleading as you would need a dedicated pc running HQplayer to even use the $250 streamer. You should include a minimum server spec sheet to enable the streamer. Then links to purchase the server and instructions to configure both. Plus the cost of any associated software.

It's not misleading. I have explained everything clearly. You can't just skip to the end of a 5 page thread, not reading any of the content on the first 5 pages, then tell me I'm trying to mislead.

also, I'm not selling this hardware. Amazon is. I'm offering this advice to allow people to "build a streamer to kill the big boys for under $250"

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Again Mike you are patronizing me. I read the entire thread and others. There are many "streamers" on the market that DO NOT require a dedicated server, Auralic Aries comes to mind. Yours REQUIRES a dedicated server. Your $250 streamer CANNOT beat or compete with the Aries.

It's not misleading. I have explained everything clearly. You can't just skip to the end of a 5 page thread, not reading any of the content on the first 5 pages, then tell me I'm trying to mislead.

also, I'm not selling this hardware. Amazon is. I'm offering this advice to allow people to "build a streamer to kill the big boys for under $250"

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Again Mike you are patronizing me. I read the entire thread and others. There are many "streamers" on the market that DO NOT require a dedicated server, Auralic Aries comes to mind. Yours REQUIRES a dedicated server. Your $250 streamer CANNOT beat or compete with the Aries.

Ok explain to me how the Aries works without a server?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Folks, this is Blizzard's forum. Respect needs to exist in all communications with him.

And I don't see any patronizing. If such comes across it is accidental.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing