MartinLogan Neolith May 2015 T.H.E. Show Report

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I listened to that Youtube video again.

I still don't like that music.

It isn't something I would ever listen to.

Me too I listened to that youtube video again; not a good audio recording, and not a good video recording. ...Mediocre.

I don't listen to that music either; but I did buy similar in the past for [strike]tasting[/strike] testing male vocals with different intonations in their voices. Mainly testing, for regular listening I listen to classical and jazz and blues music in vast general.

Gary, do you have some music material demo discs; like from Sheffield Labs record label for example, or Chesky, Three Blind Mice, Concord Jazz, Channel Classics, Reference Recordings, AudioQuest Music, Telarc, et cetera?
Those demo discs, and that Gospel tune from youtube; they are not necessarily the type of music people listen everyday, maybe once every three or six years.
...Or when upgrading your loudspeakers; when was the last time you upgrade yours?

Also, that type of vocals can be use to demo new electronics; preamps or DACs. ...Or even new interconnects or speaker wires or phono stages, preamps.

Me, if I go into a demo room like that, and that tune is playing, I would listen, but only for three minutes, then I'll ask for the full classical orchestra, with 77 musicians.
...Then some jazz tunes, classical chamber, smooth blues, heavy blues, tra-la-la, ...that is if my interest was enticed by those speakers...towards purchasing.
...If not then I go to another room where the speakers are more my "soul" type, and ask to play soul music...James Brown.

But this thread is about Martin Logan Neolith, stats. ...Can they do well with James Brown? :b

* And yes Ron, I agree with other members here; you are a top gun audio writer. Your intro (first post) is impeccably magnificent.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I listened to that Youtube video again.

I still don't like that music.

It isn't something I would ever listen to.
The new rule in this forum is that when someone says they don't like some artist, we tie them, lock them in a room until they relent and say they are in love with it. Enlightenment will come. Just takes some pain and punishment....

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hey - I shot that video!

I did it using a Sony RX100 - not the last word in digital cameras and I am sure the mics are NOT the best.

Here's the same song Apogee Interstella styleee shot at home - same camera. Naturally the Apogee version is better, LOL.

The AG room at Munich used that song too. As did a few others. It seemed to be "doing the rounds" at Munich 2014.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which speaker did you prefer that song most on? AG? then apogee? Then Neolith?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Which speaker did you prefer that song most on? AG? then apogee? Then Neolith?

Correct order I would say. But that AG room was rubbish in the main AG room it would have been better. It sounded "too big" in that little room.

Tough call though. It really does sound fab on the Apogees - very close to the AGs really.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Tonally I find Apogees closer to AGs than MLs. I used MLs for 17 years BTW.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, I like the ribbon tone of AA and Apogee better than AG (though I prefer some other horns on tone). Where I like AG is transience, bass integration, scale, imaging, especially with orchestras.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Scale with bass horns and a big space is superb. As is the imaging.

I'm really struggling thinking about the Apogee versus AG presentation of that song TBH. I'm really not sure the AGs were better on that track.

I'd need the two in similar rooms and a quick switch between the two to know and be certain.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good luck w/that!
I'd rather listen to a Monster Mash Up of NWA, Miley Cyrus and One Direction, than experience that again.
But if music like that is what helps someone choose Trios over Neoliths over Duettas, knock y'selves out!

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hey that's the good track. You should hear the rest of the album...LOL.

It's on auto-repeat when you come round:p

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I was under the impression that the raison d'être for this thread was to discuss the Martin Logan Neolith !!!

Are there not enough Horn or Apogee threads already on the forum to Yap On ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was under the impression that the raison d'être for this thread was to discuss the Martin Logan Neolith !!!

Are there not enough Horn or Apogee threads already on the forum to Yap On ?

If it's a Neolith report, and if someone has heard the same song, no matter how bad, on all three, it becomes relevant as it connects Neolith to the other two

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I agree with Bonzo. The only reason I shot the video was I was curious how it would come out relative to the Neolith.

Now I am not suggesting a relatively cheap camera does either speaker justice, I just did it for fun,

I liked the Neolith more than Bonzo did I think. It is a very good loudspeaker in my book. I just would not drive it with Moon kit!.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If it's a Neolith report, and if someone has heard the same song, no matter how bad, on all three, it becomes relevant as it connects Neolith to the other two

No I don't consider that it is relevant to the subject matter Speaker in question! We're the subject of the thread to have been,

'Which of the following two recordings do you prefer' OR 'Do you vicariously think this tune would sound better on an AG Horn or Apogee panel'

then yes.

Your logic in this tenuous opertunity to yap on yet again about AG's and Apogees is flawed IMO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No I don't consider that it is relevant to the subject matter Speaker in question! We're the subject of the thread to have been,

'Which of the following two recordings do you prefer' OR 'Do you vicariously think this tune would sound better on an AG Horn or Apogee panel'

then yes.

Your logic in this tenuous opertunity to yap on yet again about AG's and Apogees is flawed IMO.

Sorry, the thread took a relevant turn to Apogee, not by me, in case that missed your keen eye. Feel free to add more irrelevant posts though

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Additionally, the majority of the thread is about the track used in the Neolith video.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Sorry, the thread took a relevant turn to Apogee, not by me, in case that missed your keen eye. Feel free to add more irrelevant posts though

Are you always this confused?My initial post, linked to the Subject Matter Speaker, Entirely relevant, my second and third posts, still Germain to the topic, in pointing out to You and Justin that the subject of this thread IS the ML Neolith and NOT about your own current flavour of the week pet speaker projects!

Perhaps you might like to show some consideration to the author in either discussing the topic or by STFU.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Given that my post #36 is correct, you are in fact insulting quite a few posters on this thread.

Ron is respected. He has my respect. He writes good well balanced reviews.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you always this confused?My initial post, linked to the Subject Matter Speaker, Entirely relevant, my second and third posts, still Germain to the topic, in pointing out to You and Justin that the subject of this thread IS the ML Neolith and NOT about your own current flavour of the week pet speaker projects!

Perhaps you might like to show some consideration to the author in either discussing the topic or by STFU.

Yes moderator

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Given that my post #36 is correct, you are in fact insulting quite a few posters on this thread.

Ron is respected. He has my respect. He writes good well balanced reviews.

Rather weak! slight thread drift in discussing the artists and track on the Neolith Vid is entirly to be expected.

Using the fact that you made both vids, as a vehicle, to introduce yet another yapo about two disparate speakers, beloved by you and bonzo, and entirely unconnected to the subject IS disrespectful to the author IMO.

Why not take a shot at discussing the topic at hand, Martin Logan Neolith Speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing