Inroducing Blizzard's Corner-The Unbiased Truth In The Eyes Of Mike Davis

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Nice picture of your room and set up.

I would like to make a comment....my 2 cents worth:). Every time I see a large flat screen TV between the speakers of someone's audio set up, I cringe. The expansive piece of glass really is not what you want to put between speakers....IMHO.
BTW, I think I have the same stand/cabinet as you for my 'home theater' set-up. Works great.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Nice picture of your room and set up.

I would like to make a comment....my 2 cents worth:). Every time I see a large flat screen TV between the speakers of someone's audio set up, I cringe. The expansive piece of glass really is not what you want to put between speakers....IMHO.
BTW, I think I have the same stand/cabinet as you for my 'home theater' set-up. Works great.

Thanks

Well not having much of a detrimental effect in this room. The sound stage still goes back 10-15 ft, and is absolute pinpoint. The speakers are sticking out about a ft past the TV.

Here's the old room. Sounding better in this room.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I like your listening room; décor simplicity of high space. ...The music, and the people have room to breathe, to expand.

View attachment 24014

* Is that a marijuana plant on the left?

I had a room just like that and it was horrible sounding no matter what I did. It drove me nuts to even have a conversation in the room. I moved my kit to another room.
The only difference I see us mine did not open to a loft area like yours.
Kudos to you if you got it to sound good.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I had a room just like that and it was horrible sounding no matter what I did. It drove me nuts to even have a conversation in the room. I moved my kit to another room.
The only difference I see us mine did not open to a loft area like yours.
Kudos to you if you got it to sound good.

Yes there's 14' ceilings, and it opens to a big expansive space. I think this is why it sounds good. Bass is clean and tight with absolutely no overhang or boominess. The Sheffield Drum and Track Disk is stunning. Much better than the other room. 1400W per channel of Hypex Ncore power helps with that as well :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Very cool, Blizzard, Steve, and Amir :D
I'd love to hear thoughts regarding hemp bass traps to mitigate sub 100 Hz undulations.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Very cool, Blizzard, Steve, and Amir :D
I'd love to hear thoughts regarding hemp bass traps to mitigate sub 100 Hz undulations.

Ha ha, well it's not hemp, but I can imagine hemp would probably be similar. I never tried it with and without yet. But I'm really thinking the plant on the left, and the drape on the right is helping the sound

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Yes, I imagine the plants and drape are helping. I've been researching absorptive carpet as an acoustic room treatment.
We have travertine stone flooring throughout the house and, regrettably, it reflects sound quite effectively.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yes, I imagine the plants and drape are helping. I've been researching absorptive carpet as an acoustic room treatment.
We have travertine stone flooring throughout the house and, regrettably, it reflects sound quite effectively.

Yes, stone floors are nice, but not nice for sound. You need a massive silk Turkish carpet!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Mike,

Yesterday I finally got my Xmas care package. LoL

I will try to catch you this weekend for an update, as you will be back home long before then, no?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Congrats on your own corner Blizz. I will be reading...

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Mike,

There's been much written regarding 'chipless' DAC's...anything pertinent to the other side, i.e., AD converters :confused:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mike,

There's been much written regarding 'chipless' DAC's...anything pertinent to the other side, i.e., AD converters :confused:

Hi Sam,

To be honest, I don't know much about the ADC side of things. I've Been focusing all of my energy on the DAC end of things. Although I hear there's some game changing ADC chips coming out in 2016 :)

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Looking forward to reading you Blizzard and learning along the way. I do hope you remain a free spirit though and that you do participate in other threads, diversity of opinion enriches any forum.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Looking forward to reading you Blizzard and learning along the way. I do hope you remain a free spirit though and that you do participate in other threads, diversity of opinion enriches any forum.

Thanks for the support!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Blizz,

So what is your latest thinking on the must do mods on the golden gate?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Blizz,

So what is your latest thinking on the must do mods on the golden gate?

No different than before. USB interface is a no brainer. Would like to hear more about this mystery new Amanero though. Wondering if it's just the LKS unit with Crystek clocks or what. Personally I'd pop in the JL sounds board:

http://jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html

so you would have Linux native DSD 256 compatibility to run Roon/HQplayer- to my optically isolated and LPS powered Superstream unit. I think you would hear the best sound possible from the GG that way. Listen to everything, including Tidal in DSD 256, with the best GUI available!

No brainer!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
No different than before. USB interface is a no brainer. Would like to hear more about this mystery new Amanero though. Wondering if it's just the LKS unit with Crystek clocks or what. Personally I'd pop in the JL sounds board:

http://jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html

so you would have Linux native DSD 256 compatibility to run Roon/HQplayer- to my optically isolated and LPS powered Superstream unit. I think you would hear the best sound possible from the GG that way. Listen to everything, including Tidal in DSD 256, with the best GUI available!

No brainer!

What is the super stream unit?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing