Jadis JA80's - KT88's or KT120's?

Mickey_Sg

Dec 8, 2015
Hi all,
My Jadis JA80's are getting noisy and need retubing, and I'm torn between KT 88's (possibly the Psvane KT88-TII) or KT120's.
I don't want to lose any of of the beguiling musicality that I bought the Jadis's for, but I'd like a quieter, blacker background and tighter bass. Is the KT120 an all-round improvement or will I be risking "throwing the baby out with the bath water"?

Would love to hear your opinions!
Thanks, Mick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Quoted from the from the Jadis JA120 datasheet:

Jadis has adopted the KT120 valve, which will increase the power, reliability, the dynamic range and every other parameter of this milestone amplifier.Jadis has recognised that the brand-new KT120 expands on all of the virtues of the much loved KT88/6550 workhorses that have powered so many top-flight amplifiers. With their acceptance by Jadis, the doyen of French high-end amplifier manufacturers, the KT120 has found a home that is the audio equivalent of a well-appointed chateau: stylish, timeless, immune to fashion, elegant, regal.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
What speakers do you have? If you don't need the extra power, I'd tube roll KT88s. I like the Valve Art cryo'd chinese tubes sold on ebay by tubeman. Black Treasures very good too, but may be a bit much with Jadis.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
kt-88 is a warmer, richer sound.
kt-120 is more dynamic, faster, punchier sound.
try some EAT kt-88, much more expensive than tung-sol kt-120, but probably much better too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing