New (to me) Audeze LCD-XC headphones

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I bought a pair of very gently used Audeze LCD-CX phones today--wow! They are amazingly detailed and rich sounding, and the closed back design provides great isolation.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I bought a pair for my restoration work. Also have a pair of open back planers (Abyss).
I use the Cavalli Liquid Gold. They sound great with a great stand alone headphone amp!

My biggest complaint is they're so damn heavy!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Now there is a friendly face from my AA days :D John isn't it?

I used to post there under AndyPants.

Congratulations on the LCDs - how do like them cf to your HD 800s?

Yep, it's me. I love them! THe sound is quite a bit richer than the 800s--just as detailed, but not as thin and etched.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I bought a pair for my restoration work. Also have a pair of open back planers (Abyss).
I use the Cavalli Liquid Gold. They sound great with a great stand alone headphone amp!

My biggest complaint is they're so damn heavy!

Yes, they are heavy, but when sitting down in a recliner, they are quite comfy. I don't think I'd go jogging with them, though. :)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Beautiful design like the rest of their products.

How hot to they get inside?

Do you mean the planar material or the ear cups? I haven't noticed either getting hot, but I haven't had them on for all that long yet.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thanks John
I will pop along and audition them. I'm on the hunt for a great closed back headphone. Do you reckon you could tolerate the weight in the work environment? I love the HD 800's comfort, and sound staging but am with you on their etchiness. Plus of course there isn't any isolation. Minor problem with the air con in my office humming away.

Lovely to speak with you again. Still over at AA?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Thanks John
I will pop along and audition them. I'm on the hunt for a great closed back headphone. Do you reckon you could tolerate the weight in the work environment? I love the HD 800's comfort, and sound staging but am with you on their etchiness. Plus of course there isn't any isolation. Minor problem with the air con in my office humming away.

Lovely to speak with you again. Still over at AA?

I don't know what kind of work you do, so it's hard to say. Some reviewers have stated they've worn them for hours, but that was while sitting in a "listening chair." I could imagine them getting a little heavy/tiresome if you don't have any neck support.

I'm still on it from time to time, but it seems like it's slowly dying out!

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Email your way John.

I'm a barrister, so when not in Court I am in Chambers at a desk, in front of a computer or sitting leaning over a desk reading, getting ready to go to Court, or mediations or conferences. Or writing papers.

I'll have to try a pair on and see if I can't demo them for a couple of days at work.

Cheers

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you mean the planar material or the ear cups? I haven't noticed either getting hot, but I haven't had them on for all that long yet.
I meant the ear cups. When they are larger and over the ear, I find that I start cooking after a while :).

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
So far, I don't notice much heat.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing