Musicology of Music Production. Need your ears in sound preferences evaluation

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
To all who are interested in classical music, sound and recording. Sorry for cross-posting, but the classical music forum I posted in earlier did not bring any results.

I am writing a paper for my musicology study, and need to collect data for evaluating my research questions. If you click on the link you can down load 8 pairs of sound samples, and I want to know from you which of each pair sounds to your opinion the best. Use the sound equipment you are used to, speakers, headphones, you may decide. Don't use equipment you do not know well, and do not change the volume in between the A and B sample. If you cannot hear a difference, write AB as answer. It is also very interesting for me to know what kind of listener you are, audiophile or general music listener, (prof) musician, recording-engineer/producer and what kind of equipment you used and if you listened over headphones or speakers.

This is the link: http://we.tl/nRqJmihcVz it is safe, and at wetransfer.com

The answers you can PM to me. If you like you can comment your choices. Thank You very much !

Erik Sikkema
Gothenburg University, Sweden

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I will test tomorrow as I am away from home.

Hope members also do the same. Streaming works for me. The download is some 200 megabytes!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
[mod: results redacted]

45yr old Male Audiophile with Studio, Field Recording, Mixing, Post Production experience

Used ordinary headphones (V-Moda Crossfade) for this run listening to the mp3s only. No outboard DAC no headphone amp.

By the way, thank you for providing test music that was very enjoyable to listen to. I would not have completed the test otherwise. Instead it was a pleasure.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
TERRIFIC music samples that I would love to listen to.

I couldn't do the test tonight because I did not have my headphones--only my laptop speakers.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Without downloading you can have a quick listen to my samples.

http://www.freewebs.com/eriksikkema/

If you like to help me with my survey, PM your answers to my mailbox on this forum.

Link to the WAV samples: http://we.tl/nRqJmihcVz

Thanks !

New link until December 17 2015.

http://we.tl/nRqJmihcVz

Erik, how large is that new link (Amir said the first one is only 200 Meg)?
I'm still working slowly on that first link, with Sennheiser headphones (inexpensive), from my laptop Sony VAIO, and I'm just a humble music/sound quality lover, amateur musician/recordist, and with slight past experience on the international scene (hall acoustics from sound engineering assistance). I recorded my own music, acoustic un-amplified and electric, amateurish only.

* I like the music so far, very relaxing/soothing. ...And well recorded.

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
It is for the WAV files 204 MB total.

About 20 minutes in 44.1 16bit.

Maybe the Moderator can take away the ealier post JackD201 with preferences, so it will not influence other listeners to the test. I have copied the input of JAckD201 and taken it into my data. Other poster, please post your preferences into my mailbox. Everyone should listen without bias.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
He wants a blind test and is the OP. I am sure he can post all the outcomes afterward or members can.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Amir. Booboo on my part. Just like in elementary school I didn't read the instructions carefully!

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
too bad, I was interested in reading individual results as compared to my own.

It will influence the poll. You can read my paper afterwards. I will publish the data anonymously. Then you can look up what others preferred. There is no good and bad, there is only a preference.

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
Thanks Amir. Booboo on my part. Just like in elementary school I didn't read the instructions carefully!

No problem. I have saved your data. Did you mail me also on my e-mail account? I received another poll and it wwas the same as yours, except one question was an AB answer.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
>>It will influence the poll. You can read my paper afterwards. I will publish the data anonymously. Then you can look up what others preferred. There is no good and bad, there is only a preference. <<

I get it; and hope to read your paper. Also hope to participate, although I doubt I'll get a listen in until after the weekend ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No problem. I have saved your data. Did you mail me also on my e-mail account? I received another poll and it wwas the same as yours, except one question was an AB answer.

Hi Erik yes that was from me. You can disregard the first one as I only listened to the sample MP3s. In the email it was the WAV I listened to. Thanks.

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
If everyone who has been here would have done the survey, it would have been for me a super score. 287 so far, but I received only one response to the survey sofar from this site. If you do the survey quick, it takes you less than 5 minutes, from those who have done the survey, all appreciated the music very much. You guys have probably better equiment to listen over than I have here in my studio, so I am very keen to hear your responses. This is not to test your ears or mine, not to test your equipment, what it is about you can read later when I publish my research but it will surprise you what is happening here. More I cannot say because it will bias you. This is the link to load down for WAV fies http://we.tl/nRqJmihcVz and here www.eriksikkema.com you can find the MP3 samples. Mail to my e-mail address or here on the forum to my PM box.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing