There's something I'm liking about this place here!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Rather than create a thread about all of the things that are wrong or should be improved on this site I thought.......Fudge it.....let's mention something positive.

I'm really happy to see an increase in participation with regard to the music threads. I think it was needed to be quite honest, and I've been saying so for years.

I really hope we can keep that up!

I just wanted to say that!:D

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I agree completely on more music threads. After all music is the point not the equipment. I will start one once I finish listening to some music! :D That may take awhile though.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I've learned a lot from the people on this forum. So many people with so much knowledge, amazing systems, humor, not to mention who are willing to share their experiences of live and recorded music. I count myself lucky, even if I just post in the music and movies threads.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I'm really happy to see an increase in participation with regard to the music threads. I think it was needed to be quite honest, and I've been saying so for years.

I really hope we can keep that up!

I just wanted to say that!:D
You know me:)

Today I've listened to the following 2 albums courtesy of hdtracks:

61yvdjsEJsL._SY355_.jpg

folder2.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thought I'd give this thread a bump given the negativity and complaints I've been reading about lately. Surely we're not here for that. So let's hear about the good things WBF brings to us.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Rarely have I stopped laughing in my time here, loads of new music purchase made thanks to the music threads.

The music threads are the best and no angst to be found there!

The freedom that's offered here by our gracious learned and merciful King amir really puts the best in to WBF.

I love having a King! Bored of my own queen now to be honest.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The major attraction for me is the social intercourse with an international community of like minded folk.
Reading about new gear , listening impressions , help , learning , discussion, rants and raves , ladies handbags at dawn , swan songs , music etc...

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
The major attraction for me is the social intercourse with an international community of like minded folk.
Reading about new gear , listening impressions , help , learning , discussion, rants and raves , ladies handbags at dawn , swan songs , music etc...

ladies handbags at dawn . . . . . . . . . . . speechless

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thought I'd give this thread a bump given the negativity and complaints I've been reading about lately. Surely we're not here for that. So let's hear about the good things WBF brings to us.

One example: we are currently having an interesting and enjoyable discussion on the sound of live music:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19025-The-Sound-of-Live-Music/page6

A few quotes from that page from what other posters said:

"This is a great discussion."
"Well, I think it's a really interesting subject."
"Extremely interesting discussions!"

I hope to contribute some more as well, probably tonight.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I agree completely on more music threads. After all music is the point not the equipment. I will start one once I finish listening to some music! :D That may take awhile though.

Interesting. I would have thought if "music is the point not the equipment", you wouldn't be participating in this forum as there should be a plethora of music-only forums. Music-only forums without all this endless exchange of meaningful and mostly monologue e.g. vinyl v digital, single-ended v balanced, tube v solid state, hi-rez v Redbook, etc, etc.

If music is the point and not the equipment, I can't imagine why this forum, other forums, and a few rags would exist in the first place.

To be honest. One of the reasons I'm here is to observe how many try to convince themselves their equipment has nothing to do with their love of music. But I have a few other reasons for participating here. Including possibly assisting one or two in the attempt to achieve greater levels of musicality from their equipment. And maybe pick up a trick or two myself (though I'm still waiting).

For some here I suppose music-only is the driving passion. But perhaps for some others, it's the quality of music or the level of musicality that drives them to perhaps an even greater level of passion for music. That can only be achieved by the equipment and what needs to be done with it to make that possible.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've been torched on my music choices. Just saying.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I wonder if in the music-only forums they boast about how in the end it's all about the equipment?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Well, in one sense it is about the equipment, because if it's not up to scratch then it is so much 'harder' to "get" a piece of music that one is unfamiliar with ... I like it when I can put on some really bizarre, totally out there musical creation - and immediately understand, intuitively, why the musicians went to the effort of doing it - I can "hear" what they got out of playing the piece, or putting it together if it's totally 'artificial' in nature ...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wonder if in the music-only forums they boast about how in the end it's all about the equipment?
No one boasts in the music section. :D We just enjoy sharing music!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not exactly! Some mod has actually crapped on a music thread title. ?
I was speaking more in terms of generalities. But yeah, it isn't 100% rosy!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Little bit OT :)

Heard about Roon and Tidal in this forum. They are game changers in my opinion and since they work together...

For anyone truly interested in Music, Roon + TIDAL are a must. I have now about 4000 CD in my collection ( 3786 according to ROON :D) and in I am only now knowing what was/is in it. There is no way aside from software to now all the music one has. I remember opening a thread about the Gems we had in our collection. Well Roon unearth these regularly.. pieces you never heard or heard only once and forgot will come out, helped by the "Radio" function turned on and you are finding things you never knew you had... Plus there is TIDAL . My bandwidth in Haiti tops at 2.3 Mb/s on a good day but I find that even less is enough for TIDAL. Yes there are dropouts sometimes during the day but at night when I do my critical listening it works. I will try to get more bandwidth for sure.. Suffice to say that from that point my music buying has decreased considerably while my Music enjoyment has increased ten-fold... TIDAL library is growing very nicely and with more than 25 Millions tracks .. Enough for a lifetime of music. I get Spotify too and would like to subscribe to Deutsche Grammophon (320 kbps mp3) Qobuz and Deezer (CD Quality). I don't know if these integrate with ROON my goto file player.

We , the over 40 years old gang are very partial to the physical media. Online high quality streaming services provide much more. We should give these our support. At least try TIDAL or equivalent they often offer free trial, many will be hooked.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I like my system, it makes my music sound good.

* The better the system, the higher the search for the better music recordings. And all that the better, the even better the discovery of new music we love and that we would not have discovered, maybe, if it wouldn't have been due to that higher search and the better connections. :b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing