Auralic vs Lumin streamers

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi all,

Any input on these two choices. They are my two finalists. Having the ability to access TIDAL is a must.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi all,

Any input on these two choices. They are my two finalists. Having the ability to access TIDAL is a must.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

If I may, the best streamer/file player I have heard is the Bryston BDP-2. I have heard the Lumin gear and the Auralic Aries
in shops and at shows. They are both very nice. But for me the Bryston BDP-2 on a purely sonic level is the best I have heard.
I have not done head to head comparisons.

No onboard DAC. AES/EBU, BNC, USB outputs. DSD (all) support, and 6 USB ports.

Tidal support added. Review in current issue of TAS:
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2015_12_Review_BDP-2_Absolute.pdf

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi,

The Lumin and Auralic (Aries) are not exactly the same thing, as the Lumin has a DAC, and the Aries doesn't. The Lumins are comparable to the Linn units, which they have liberally copied the concept as well as the execution.

That said, I haven't heard any of the Lumins at lenght. The Aries, though, is a solid unit, and delivers way more than its price indicate ($1600 w/ linear PS). It's also very flexible, with AES, SPDIF and USB outputs, does Quad DSD, and has Wi-Fi (that sounds better than Ethernet too!)

Since they both use the OpenHome protocol, you can use Lumin's app on the Aries, but not vice-versa, as Auralic has restricted compatibility of its Lightning DS app. Of course, both apps/units will do Tidal natively.

Hope this helps :D

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing