Spectral Amps - Without MIT Cables

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi alecm,

On your questions in post #17:
1) Normal operating temperatures of the Spectral DMA 360 and DMA 100S in my place is just slightly warm to the touch of my hand.
2) May I clarify what you meant in your second question?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Hi David (acousticsguru),

On your post #14, I am sorry to read that your power amp oscillated and blew on you. May I ask what power amp is this that oscillated and blew on you?

The one that blew was an older DMA-200 Class A (in perfect condition at the time, since repaired and completely refurbished, in the meantime sold at loss, but an amp I still have fond memories of, except it uses a fan), but what I'm concerned about is that the earlier models were less prone to oscillating (they were built to perform with music-hose MIT generation, not sure if you're old enough to remember?), in general I'd say the more modern generation the Spectral amp ("the faster the amp, the faster it'll blow", as one importer once put it, referring to DMA-260 and later), the less I'd recommend using non-MIT or Spectral-branded cables. Used first-generation DMA-360s (not sure which you have?) with aerospace cabling before, sound was awesome, heat seemed reasonable. Temperature isn't really an indicator for the bigger amps - trying different cables with a smaller model such as DMA-90 Series II, touching would give away which cable one is using in a blind test: it will barely run hand-warm with the Generation III cables, and almost hot enough to fry an egg with e.g. Kimber or aerospace etc. In short, I wouldn't bet on being on the safe side with the bigger ones only because of the sound or the temperature - there's no such thing as a pre-warning signal for oscillation (and at any rate, one wouldn't be able to pull the plug in time either)!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I owned a DMA 200 about 25 years ago; it was a Damian Martin design. I have the second generation DMA 360.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) 1) Normal operating temperatures of the Spectral DMA 360 and DMA 100S in my place is just slightly warm to the touch of my hand.
(...)

Serious audiophiles should get at IR thermometer to check the temperature of their equipment! :D

More seriously, this tool can be very useful for preliminary diagnostics and monitoring, as well as controlling bias currents. This tool costs around $30 and has good precision, for more accurate measurements I own a IR Bosch meter.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 463

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I bought a DMA180 whilst living in France. It was well after I had upgraded that I first heard about the "need" for MIT cables, though that was what I did use. The dealer mentioned nothing about it.
I loved that amp!

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
I had a DMA 180 on loan once for a period - the bass it thumped out was incredible, much more than my 360s - but it did melt its feet while I had it!

Roef

Dec 16, 2016
Hello, I am new here on WBF and have a question : I have the opportunity to buy a used dma 200S but have no other Spectral equipment and no MIT cables in my system.

My system: Brinkmann Spyder/12.1/Rohnt/EMT Ti turntable set
Muys SS preamp/phonoamp ( will be on the market next year)
Raidho Ayra C1.1 speakers
Interlinks/speakercables: A-capella silver cables

As the Spectral dma 200S is sold abroad I do not have the opportunity to test the amp in my system and therefor I would like to know if there is anyone who has some experience with the Spectral- silver cable combination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing