Tube rolling Doshi style

Audiotom

Dec 2, 2015
I have an Aalap full function pre and the Jhor 90 watt mono blocks

As you all know - these are so fabulous

I wanted to extract even more out of Nick's stellar electronics

I was able to start out with nice tubes. Lightly used tubes bought in near NOS condition

12AT7 Tele Ecc81s. 12AX7 tungsols 12 BH7 tungsols

I went to tele Ecc 83s for the 12AX7 tube
Tried tungsol and rca in the 12BH7
I went from a coveted Telefunken ECC81 to the cream of the crop Ecc801-s. Oh my
Even more of the glorious Doshi sound

After I had tweeked the pre I started on the Jhor 90 watt mono blocks

I had RCA 12sn7 and a military 12sj7, bought sets of rca backups
I have wonderful sounding Tungsol EL34s great tonal accuracy, body, detail

a friend found me a nos double quad set of Genelec 6550 golden lions
Expensive but they sound incredible
Giving even more passion into the music
Well worth it to me

The great thing is the Doshi pieces sound fabulous with modest tubes
And can display all the benefits to stellar tube upgrades in all their glory

Very impressed and content

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Glad you are having a good time with the gear. The goal has always been to use easily available tubes and to have the gear sound very good with new production tubes. This is the only sustainable path since NOS will keep getting scarcer. Use the power of the purse to encourage manufacturers to build better tubes. At our last listening session I was able to compile a list of over 20 new production 12AX7 type tubes. We selected one that provides performance extremely close to NOS siemens and teles for around $25 each.

Audiotom

Dec 2, 2015
Glad you are having a good time with the gear. The goal has always been to use easily available tubes and to have the gear sound very good with new production tubes. This is the only sustainable path since NOS will keep getting scarcer. Use the power of the purse to encourage manufacturers to build better tubes. At our last listening session I was able to compile a list of over 20 new production 12AX7 type tubes. We selected one that provides performance extremely close to NOS siemens and teles for around $25 each.

Thanks Nick

Your Doshi designs more than measures up with their engaging magic with readily available tubes

The Electro Harmonics sound great

I am curious, what is your new wonder 12AX7 tube

moonman54

Jan 11, 2012
Hamden, CT
Hi Audiotom, I did not realize that Nick had a forum on here. Anyway, I'm using the following tubes in my Purist Alaap Mk.II preamp:

(4) JJ ECC803S gold pin
(2) GE 12AT7 gray plate, white lettering
(2) RCA 12BH7 gray plate, red lettering

I have tried many others and actually prefer the JJ ECC803S over the Telefunken 12AX7. Also, I preferred the RCA 12BH7 gray plate over the black plate.

Don't you mean Genalex Gold Lion KT88 and not 6550? Genalex never made a 6550, to my knowledge.

Steve

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What tubes have people used in their Doshi phono preamps?

There are 3 tubes types: 12ax7, 12at7 and 7247.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing