KR Audio 45

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have been assured that all except 2A3 will work. I can't confirm this until is implemented. If it causes issues I will revert back to original topology. But given that big 7 was playing it fine along with the others, don't see why it should be an issue

This is true, I tested myself directly with a GG and a B7 in the same system.

Bonzo, Mike has the older KR242 tube design with a different base, so he had to buy pin adapter...so no issue there.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just checked, an original pair of WE 242 get priced around 7 - 9k USD.

Also read this on the Silbatone site: "The rare WE242-C is probably the finest 211 family tube ever produced and one of the best sounding large triodes in our experience."

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
image.jpg
I await eagerly your feedback!

Just did some tube rolling with my new GG. It came with the EML 5U4G rectifier and EML 45 mesh.
The unit has only be run in for about 30h.

When I changed the tubes I switched the dac off and put the preamp on mute. I don't know if that's the right way to do it. I didn't break anything yet at least.

So here are my very preliminary findings at this stage of my life with the GG. I am sure it will change over time, but anyway here it goes.

EML45 mesh > Kron45 > National union 45.

The NU did a lot better than in my 7er previously, it did not fall that far behind anymore, actually quite enjoyable, nice tonal color and midrange, bit meshy and soapy maybe, not as clear and resolving as the eml. The Kron sounded similar to the UN. Kind of in between the other two.
The Eml has more air around the instruments, more resolution and sounds fresher, brighter, the other two more on the darker side.
The Eml could need a bit more corpus and weight, sounds a bit lean at times, depending on music.

With a fully run in GG I would expect the Eml to come out on top though.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You need to compare the 45 with a non 45 like 300b or 101d. They are my least liked valves.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Just did some tube rolling with my new GG. It came with the EML 5U4G rectifier and EML 45 mesh.
The unit has only be run in for about 30h.

When I changed the tubes I switched the dac off and put the preamp on mute. I don't know if that's the right way to do it. I didn't break anything yet at least.

So here are my very preliminary findings at this stage of my life with the GG. I am sure it will change over time, but anyway here it goes.

EML45 mesh > Kron45 > National union 45.

The NU did a lot better than in my 7er previously, it did not fall that far behind anymore, actually quite enjoyable, nice tonal color and midrange, bit meshy and soapy maybe, not as clear and resolving as the eml. The Kron sounded similar to the UN. Kind of in between the other two.
The Eml has more air around the instruments, more resolution and sounds fresher, brighter, the other two more on the darker side.
The Eml could need a bit more corpus and weight, sounds a bit lean at times, depending on music.

Thanks Chris.

I love the value of the NU 45...to me they are romantic and CHEAP.

The GG takes 4-6 months to fully break in, so buckle up.
A great complement to the EML mesh is the GZ34 rectifier. That will add class impact and body, and impart a fresh/mint tone as Wyan was quoted as saying some months back.

Please check your spec sheet and tell me what your max output volume is in mV. Also what kind of DSD and PCM engines you have.

BTW, when changing tubes, no need to switch off, just mute the volume on the amplifier or if going direct on the Lampi preamp section.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
View attachment 27142 The Eml has more air around the instruments, more resolution and sounds fresher, brighter, the other two more on the darker side.

I agree with that description of the EML 45. It is quite expansive sounding, but the bass lacks weight and is diffuse. That is why I don't like it. That one aspect annoys me. It is detailed in the mids as you say. But it is also too forward sounding for my tastes.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
You need to compare the 45 with a non 45 like 300b or 101d. They are my least liked valves.

What would be the second best 300B? I do not dare to touch the Elrogs at this point given their history.

I am also thinking Takatsuki 274B for rectifier and be done with it.:confused:

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Thanks Chris.

I love the value of the NU 45...to me they are romantic and CHEAP.

The GG takes 4-6 months to fully break in, so buckle up.
A great complement to the EML mesh is the GZ34 rectifier. That will add class impact and body, and impart a fresh/mint tone as Wyan was quoted as saying some months back.

Please check your spec sheet and tell me what your max output volume is in mV. Also what kind of DSD and PCM engines you have.

BTW, when changing tubes, no need to switch off, just mute the volume on the amplifier or if going direct on the Lampi preamp section.

image.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well there is Tak 300b and cheaper are KR 300b which Bill likes, and then if you get a pair of EML 300mesh used.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Chris at 330mv, you can easily use KR242. They are very dynamic tubes and you should get them for sure. In terms of 300B, the Psvane UK design version is likely the best value for money. You should also try to snag the EML Lampi anniv Globe mesh 45 if they become available again.

EML 300b are OK, but I suspect the Krons are better. Takat 274B seems to be a winner.

How is your PCM vs DSD?

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Don't feel like fiddling around with my pc at the moment, so no DSD usage here any time soon.

I am in Prague next week. Has anyone tried to visit Kron's office/factory? Can you buy tubes there directly?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
No idea...ask Stewa at Audioshark if he has contact details for Eunice.

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I run matched quad eml 45 mesh and takatsuki 274 rectifiers combo and favor this combination over 101D. I have a sub in my system and do not find the presentation lean. Started playing with shun mook and can tweak tonality albeit in a subtle manner to taste.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I run matched quad eml 45 mesh and takatsuki 274 rectifiers combo and favor this combination over 101D. I have a sub in my system and do not find the presentation lean. Started playing with shun mook and can tweak tonality albeit in a subtle manner to taste.

Do you have the shun mook mpingo discs or the diamond resonators

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
The mpingo disc and tube resonator. I used the disc to tune the room too

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The mpingo disc and tube resonator. I used the disc to tune the room too

Those are minor tweaks, the resonators will make a massive difference

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The disc in the room can make a big difference in some rooms. Also the wooden blocks of 3 discs. But in some rooms they don't, possibly finding the right placement takes time

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I have played with various footers but find the gyrotension Vega to best others in my set up. Your mileage may vary but this has been my experience and I wholeheartedly recommend them. I have never liked soft or suspension footers but this one is quite special and changed my opinion altogether

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing