MSB Select DAC II. The way every DAC on the planet should be built.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Specs are excellent looking, but the SNR is a bit lower on the Select. All the Totaldac's have a lower SNR as well.

How about the master clock 1hz phase noise?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Specs are excellent looking, but the SNR is a bit lower on the Select. All the Totaldac's have a lower SNR as well.

IF a DAC can resolve 24 bits, what's left as far as resolution? If you look at other measurements like noise floor modulation or IM distortion, my money would be spent elsewhere. The last time MSB's top DAC was measured in Stereophile, the IM distortion was a mess and the anti-aliasing filters weren't impressive.

I'm sure Vincent could have his DACs measured in stereophile. I bet it wouldn't look that great on JA's standard tests including jitter. R2R ladder DACs can boast super low noise floor, but there are many other measurements which matter as much or more, IMO.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
You buy your $100,000 DAC thinking you have a DAC for life.....then another company 1 year from now creates a better sounding DAC for $10,000. Now, do you wait for the new $10,000 module to put in your $100,000 DAC to see if it is now as good as someone else's way less expensive one? Wow! You can buy two very nice Mercedes for one silly DAC. This has got to be the most silly post yet from Blizzard. He certainly likes to drum up drama! DACs are simply DAC de Jour.....there will be another one CUMMING in your shorts every month. Now, if you have all the money in the world then sure buy the best there is now and use it as a paper weight when a much cheaper one beats it. The rest of us slummers should use a lot more common sense and buy something reasonable so when it becomes obsolete (very soon with digital) then we are not getting a divorce over it.

It really does not matter whether a DAC is upgradable via modules or via hardwiring back at the factory. What matters is that it is the best there is (for our tastes) at its price point at any given time. Upgrading the same piece could be a big waste of money. This is so obvious. Can we get on to discussing more interesting things?

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
You buy your $100,000 DAC thinking you have a DAC for life.....then another company 1 year from now creates a better sounding DAC for $10,000. Now, do you wait for the new $10,000 module to put in your $100,000 DAC to see if it is now as good as someone else's way less expensive one? Wow! You can buy two very nice Mercedes for one silly DAC. This has got to be the most silly post yet from Blizzard. He certainly likes to drum up drama! DACs are simply DAC de Jour.....there will be another one CUMMING in your shorts every month. Now, if you have all the money in the world then sure buy the best there is now and use it as an a paper weight when a much cheaper one beats it. The rest of us slummers should use a lot more common sense and buy something reasonable so when it becomes obsolete (very soon with digital) then we are not getting a divorce over it.

It really does not matter whether a DAC is upgradable via modules or via hardwiring back at the factory. What matters is that it is the best there is at its price point at any given time. Upgrading the same piece could be a big waste of money. This is so obvious. Can we get on to discussing more interesting things?

You should start offering mods for this DAC. Show them how it should have been designed. This point of this thread was to show an example of a smart modular form factor. This same concept can be applied to lower priced DAC's easily.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I recently heard the new MSB Diamond Select DAC at the event that asiufy referenced in his post. This DAC is excellent and easily on par with any DAC I have ever heard. Plus, as was mentioned, one gets a decent preamp as well as part of the package.
One of the things that was brought to our attention by the MSB rep was the fact that this DAC would never be out of date...presumably due to the modular design. However, I'm not really comprehending how that is truly possible into the future...the near future, maybe; but talk ten (10) years from now!!

I think a big justification for the price is the future proofing of this DAC....something I'm not really buying.

Nonetheless, if one couldn't care about the price of one's gear, then this DAC should be at the top of the heap for audition.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Actually, the point of this thread was for you to get some more attention. Now you have more. Do you feel better?

Again, what difference does it make whether there are replaceable modules or hardwired upgrades? None. Only very conservative types who want to keep the same gear year after year would care. Those of us that listen and are interested in what is the best at any one point would want the best there is now......not just some new module in an old machine. Digital is ever changing.....do not put all you $$$ in one basket.....you will lose a bundle.....unless you are super rich. Again, this is so obvious.

Anyone, at any time can create a DAC that will blow your super reference thang away. There are hundreds of engineers all over the world working on super DACS right now. All of them have different skills and abilities. Do you think one company is always going to make the best one? Very silly.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Actually, the point of this thread was for you to get some more attention. Now you have more. Do you feel better?

Again, what difference does it make whether there are replaceable modules or hardwired upgrades? None. Only very conservative types who want to keep the same gear year after year would care. Those of us that listen and are interested in what is the best at any one point would want the best there is now......not just some new module in an old machine. Digital is ever changing.....do not put all you $$$ in one basket.....you will lose a bundle.....unless you are super rich. Again, this is so obvious.

Anyone, at any time can create a DAC that will blow your super reference thang away. There are hundreds of engineers all over the world working on super DACS right now. All of them have different skills and abilities. Do you think one company is always going to make the best one? Very silly.

Now that you have arrived, I feel much better.

Unless you just dropped down on this planet out of the sky, you would realize that most DAC's don't even offer hardwired upgrades. The solution is to sell the old one, and buy a whole new DAC with most manufacturers. A form factor like this allows one to avoid this. I'm not sure why your having such a hard time comprehending this. Perhaps try splashing water on your face.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I recently heard the new MSB Diamond Select DAC at the event that asiufy referenced in his post. This DAC is excellent and easily on par with any DAC I have ever heard. Plus, as was mentioned, one gets a decent preamp as well as part of the package.
One of the things that was brought to our attention by the MSB rep was the fact that this DAC would never be out of date...presumably due to the modular design. However, I'm not really comprehending how that is truly possible into the future...the near future, maybe; but talk ten (10) years from now!!

I think a big justification for the price is the future proofing of this DAC....something I'm not really buying.

Nonetheless, if one couldn't care about the price of one's gear, then this DAC should be at the top of the heap for audition.

The main reason the DAC is so expensive, is the sound quality, and expense to manufacture. The modular aspect is just a bonus. At this price level, building something disposable would make it hard to justify the expense.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The main reason the DAC is so expensive, is the sound quality, and expense to manufacture. The modular aspect is just a bonus. At this price level, building something disposable would make it hard to justify the expense.

Bliz,

since clearly you can argue any side of any idea, why don't you just start a thread and argue with yourself? I'm not altogether just teasing you, you honestly are a sharp enough guy where we likely would learn from such a thread. but I am teasing you a little bit. I hope you take my suggestion in the friendly spirit it is offered.:D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

"The main reason the DAC is so expensive, is the sound quality.."

That has to be one of the most absurd posts I have seen here. So you can put a dollar value on sound quality? So what does $85,000 get me?
$70,000? Does $9,000 get me 10% of the "sound quality" of the MSB flagship?

It also contradicts your non stop "mod" posts where you claim over and over and over that just a few hundred dollars gets you right reach of mega buck gear.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
"The main reason the DAC is so expensive, is the sound quality.."

That has to be one of the most absurd posts I have seen here. So you can put a dollar value on sound quality? So what does $85,000 get me?
$70,000? Does $9,000 get me 10% of the "sound quality" of the MSB flagship?

It also contradicts your non stop "mod" posts where you claim over and over and over that just a few hundred dollars gets you right reach of mega buck gear.

When it comes to this level, simple mods to an existing DAC simply won't get you here. When you have an F1 car, putting BMW M3 brakes on it just won't cut it. However if you have an BMW 335, it's a different story. Quality at this level has to be engineered from the ground up. Also the way it's built, it's not so mod friendly. Is it really worth the expense? Well some people spend this much in a week on Cocaine. So I suppose that would be up to the end user. But once you reach this point, value no longer is relevant. It's for those simply seeking the best of the best, and have the money to justify the expense. And it does take knowledge to build a DAC this good. Maybe Ric could build something better, but not many others.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
When it comes to this level, simple mods to an existing DAC simply won't get you here. When you have an F1 car, putting BMW M3 brakes on it just won't cut it. However if you have an BMW 335, it's a different story. Quality at this level has to be engineered from the ground up. Also the way it's built, it's not so mod friendly. Is it really worth the expense? Well some people spend this much in a week on Cocaine. So I suppose that would be up to the end user. But once you reach this point, value no longer is relevant. It's for those simply seeking the best of the best, and have the money to justify the expense. And it does take knowledge to build a DAC this good. Maybe Ric could build something better, but not many others.

I know MSB makes excellent DACs, I have heard many of them, extensively.

But why are YOU saying over and over that it is the "best' of the best? Based on the design ethos? Based on the photos that you have posted here?

Do you own one? Exactly HOW MANY actual hours have you heard music played through this DAC?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Bliz,

since clearly you can argue any side of any idea, why don't you just start a thread and argue with yourself? I'm not altogether just teasing you, you honestly are a sharp enough guy where we likely would learn from such a thread. but I am teasing you a little bit. I hope you take my suggestion in the friendly spirit it is offered.:D

The point of this thread was to discuss the modular form factor of this DAC. I believe all DAC's should be built this way. It wasn't to to justify the $90000 price tag.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

I have to be honest. You are looking pretty silly. You have spent post after post wagging your fingers at members for spending too much on gear, and here you are recommending a DAC that cost as much as the cheapest Aston Martin. It is a bit clownish.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The point of this thread was to discuss the modular form factor of this DAC. I believe all DAC's should be built this way. It was to to justify the $90000 price tag.

No, that does NOT seem to be the point. You keep saying it is the DAC everyone should own for a variety of reasons. Just because YOU believe a DAC should
be built this way does not make it the final word, like Ric said.

I am going to be you have NOT even heard it.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I know MSB makes excellent DACs, I have heard many of them, extensively.

But why are YOU saying over and over that it is the "best' of the best? Based on the design ethos? Based on the photos that you have posted here?

Do you own one? Exactly HOW MANY actual hours have you heard music played through this DAC?

Well it's engineered to be among the best of the best. Superdac territory. I suppose it would be like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini, when comparing to other DAC's at this level.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No, that does NOT seem to be the point. You keep saying it is the DAC everyone should own for a variety of reasons. Just because YOU believe a DAC should
be built this way does not make it the final word, like Ric said.

I am going to be you have NOT even heard it.

You obviously haven't been reading what I've been saying. I've been saying all DAC's should be built in a modular form factor like this one.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Well it's engineered to be among the best of the best. Superdac territory. I suppose it would be like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini, when comparing to other DAC's at this level.

Just as I thought, you have not heard it.

Hopefully, before you bring your gear to market, you will actually listen to it.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have to be honest. You are looking pretty silly. You have spent post after post wagging your fingers at members for spending too much on gear, and here you are recommending a DAC that cost as much as the cheapest Aston Martin. It is a bit clownish.

I'm not recommending it. I'm explaining the target market it's aimed at, as well as explaining modding this DAC to achieve superior performance would be very difficult.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing