MSB Select DAC II. The way every DAC on the planet should be built.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
I have to say that some of this audiophile stuff reminds me of myself when I was about 16. So pleased was I with my new-found abilities to build things that just about worked, I went overboard with the cosmetic appearance because I thought it would impress people. I can certainly remember making a crappy circuit look 'military'.

Just because a product exists, doesn't mean
(a) that there ever was any demand for it
(b) that its existence is self-evidently justified
(c) that it is worth the money being asked for it

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
OK, since the price tag came up, I thought I'd mention that at the recent event we did locally, at a local audiophile's house, we tried the SELECT DAC *only as a preamp*, running his DAC/player first through the SELECT's analog inputs, and then through his own preamp (an $28k german made tube preamp with another $28k of NOS tubes). The SELECT was considerably superior to that as a preamp, by everyone's estimation, including our guest.

I tell ya, it was an eye-opener, even for me. I am pretty much a "preamp always" kind of guy, but this experience shook my beliefs.

I'm not saying everybody should replace their preamps with the SELECT, but it's important to know that the $90k will buy you a reference-level preamp as well. And since the whole DAC is modular, you can have analog RCA in, XLR in, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
the end user pays a premium for modularity. just like the end user pays a premium for multiple boxes. both modules and multiple boxes have their issues. and in digital design there can be a small compromise in performance that comes with it as far as noise. the shortest signal path and most efficient circuit design becomes less a priority.

so it is one way to do it at the top of the food chain. but not the only proper way.

So is modularity one of things you dislike about your GG?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
So is modularity one of things you dislike about your GG?

unless they build one a different way I have no idea.

I'd guess looking at pictures of the GG internals and the MSB Select there are different levels of modularity. and $14k verses $110k there are different issues going on regarding what you are paying for.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
unless they build one a different way I have no idea.

Well you were talking about the drawbacks of modularity. So just wondering if you think the GG would be superior if it was all built on a single non upgradable PCB?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Send me $90,000 and I'll send you a new DAC every year for five years. Each of the DACs I send you will have at least as excellent measured performance as the MSB. In five years, the DAC I send you will likely measure significantly better.

It's foolish to spend crazy money on DACs, IMO.

I agree that $90k is crazy to spend on a DAC even if it is the best DAC I have heard. We can get very close for much less.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I agree that $90k is crazy to spend on a DAC even if it is the best DAC I have heard. We can get very close for much less.
Like many other components. But hey...the market (however small) is there.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Well you were talking about the drawbacks of modularity. So just wondering if you think the GG would be superior if it was all built on a single non upgradable PCB?

a better question would be that would most circuits when 100% optimized with the shortest signal paths be slightly better?

if modularity gets in the way of that then yes, on some levels it's a compromise.

when speaking about the MSB Select II we raise the bar to absolute uncompromised designs. so at that top level does modularity cause an element of compromise?

it's a question.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
a better question would be that would most circuits when 100% optimized with the shortest signal paths be slightly better?

if modularity gets in the way of that then yes, on some levels it's a compromise.

when speaking about the MSB Select II we raise the bar to absolute uncompromised designs. so at that top level does modularity cause an element of compromise?

it's a question.

Depends on how you lay it out. Some parts you want to be separated from other parts. You can build a DAC 100% no compromise either way. Except modularity allows for easy upgrading. It's a better way of doing things that adds a minimal cost to the BOM.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Yep. I was surprised that back in August MSB indicated that the first batch of 50 all had deposits.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

DACs are not like other components. There are significant improvements at regular intervals with digital. That's not true with preamps, amps or even speakers. For example, there will be a new DAC available next year which will blow the MSB away in the most significant performance parameters. It will cost a fraction of $90,000.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yep. I was surprised that back in August MSB indicated that the first batch of 50 all had deposits.

Yes if you build quality, you will find buyers. There's many people who love music with deep pockets around the world.

You'll even find people who would spend 2.6 mil on this marvel of engineering:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxbysUSSAM

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
DACs are not like other components. There are significant improvements at regular intervals with digital. That's not true with preamps, amps or even speakers. For example, there will be a new DAC available next year which will blow the MSB away in the most significant performance parameters. It will cost a fraction of $90,000.

'Next year' is probably a bit optimistic, but 3-4 years is more likely.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

That is not that much if you realise that they have about 25 distributors worldwide + some US dealers.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I've checked with the manufacturer. It will be released in about 6 months.

OK, so you are talking about a specific product you are expecting to see ... I thought you were talking in general.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing