MSB Select DAC II. The way every DAC on the planet should be built.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
For the cost of one module, you can buy many new Dacs….just saying.

Maybe building like this means similar cost!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
For the cost of one module, you can buy many new Dacs….just saying.

Maybe building like this means similar cost!

This same form factor can be used for lower priced DAC's as well. It add's a bit to the manufacturing cost but not much. Way cheaper than replacing the whole DAC every year or 2. the Lampi's are a similar form factor, just not as clean of a design internally.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
This same form factor can be used for lower priced DAC's as well. It add's a bit to the manufacturing cost but not much. Way cheaper than replacing the whole DAC every year or 2. the Lampi's are a similar form factor, just not as clean of a design internally.

Out of curiosity why would you need to replace a whole DAC every 2 years? I can understand the USB module or something that interfaces with drivers that may advance every 1-2 years.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Do you know why Alrainbow prefers his Big 7 to his MSB stack? He owns both, btw. And his Big 7 is an early design, has been improved on since

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Guys,

Some may find the price of this DAC to be a bit high. I see it as a great example of how all DAC's should be constructed. Every section completely modular. In my opinion, any DAC not constructed like this isn't worth buying. Unless you want to replace it every year or 2.

View attachment 23799

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/11/the-select-dac-ii-msb-technologys-90000-da-converter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ti9JAqzPXI

so when the DAC is near obsolete in a couple years, they can swap out the old modules for new ones at a reasonable cost...ie: upgrade it ?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Out of curiosity why would you need to replace a whole DAC every 2 years? I can understand the USB module or something that interfaces with drivers that may advance every 1-2 years.
Because he said so? :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Well you don't have to, but lots of audiophiles do. There's always something newer and better coming along. Nice to not be bound to a DAC with everything on a single board. As far as USB interfaces go, better ones are coming out all the time. I think XMOS on on the 4th gen in the last 3 years.

When you build a DAC this way, you can have the piece of mind you made a sound investment for years to come.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
For $90,000 they should send you the upgraded parts for free if upgrades are available within the first few years after purchasing it.

Reactions: lordcloud

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Do you know why Alrainbow prefers his Big 7 to his MSB stack? He owns both, btw. And his Big 7 is an early design, has been improved on since

That's nice. This thread isn't about subjective taste. It's about building DAC's in a modular form factor for easy upgrading, and prevention against becoming a paperweight within a couple years.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
For $90,000 they should send you the upgraded parts for free if upgrades are available within the first few years after purchasing it.

I think they do?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
so when the DAC is near obsolete in a couple years, they can swap out the old modules for new ones at a reasonable cost...ie: upgrade it ?

As new technology comes out in any area that could make it better, you can just swap out that particular part rather than the whole thing.

Imagine they made cars that you had to toss out and buy new if you wanted to upgrade the tires? That's how most DAC's are designed these days.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think they do?

any changes for the first year are done gratis.

after that....you pay the retail price increase for 10 years.

so if the improvements to the next gen version and then that Select DAC II is increased from $90k to $105k, and the 33 femto clock ($17k) gets upgraded to a 28 femto clock for $25k you would pay another $15k + $8k for your upgrade to your modules to stay top-of-line current.

if a better interface module comes along for $7k then you pay that.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Isn't part of the fun of this hobby (especially for people that can spend this type of money on gear) the discovery of a new piece of kit that relegates all other gear in a particular product category (e.g. DACs) to the scrap heap? Buying this DAC would take all this fun out of the hobby. I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole if I had 6 figures to spend on a DAC.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
any changes for the first year are done gratis.

after that....you pay the retail price increase for 10 years.

so if the improvements to the next gen version and then that Select DAC II is increased from $90k to $105k, and the 33 femto clock ($17k) gets upgraded to a 28 femto clock for $25k you would pay another $15k + $8k for your upgrade to your modules to stay top-of-line current.

Pocket change for guys like you :)

Anyways much cheaper than dumping the whole thing for 50% off on Audiogon, and buying complete new units with each upgrade.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Isn't part of the fun of this hobby (especially for people that can spend this type of money on gear) the discovery of a new piece of kit that relegates all other gear in a particular product category (e.g. DACs) to the scrap heap? Buying this DAC would take all this fun out of the hobby. I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole if I had 6 figures to spend on a DAC.

Nobody says your obligated to upgrade if you buy a DAC in a modular form factor. But it will likely help resale value if it's not obsolete when you decide to sell. Unless losing money on resale value is also what you find fun about this hobby. :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Send me $90,000 and I'll send you a new DAC every year for five years. Each of the DACs I send you will have at least as excellent measured performance as the MSB. In five years, the DAC I send you will likely measure significantly better.

It's foolish to spend crazy money on DACs, IMO.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

I don't know why he prefers his Big 7 to his MSB stack, but I know several other people that prefer the MSB to the Big 7 (or any other DACs), and I know the reasons why. And get this, I don't use each and every opportunity DAC talk comes up to mention this, or tell their reasons why...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Pocket change for guys like you :)

Anyways much cheaper than dumping the whole thing for 50% off on Audiogon, and buying complete new units with each upgrade.

the end user pays a premium for modularity. just like the end user pays a premium for multiple boxes. both modules and multiple boxes have their issues. and in digital design there can be a small compromise in performance that comes with it as far as noise. the shortest signal path and most efficient circuit design becomes less a priority.

so it is one way to do it at the top of the food chain. but not the only proper way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing