Uhderstanding diabetes

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
As the parent of a Type1 diabetic it floors me to see so many Type2 diabetics in today's society.
You have the option to reverse it by simple diet and exercise, so simple, but most out of control diabetes is Type2.
My daughter, no matter how perfect she eats and exercises, her life depends on the needle every few hours, just to be able to wake up the next morning.

Diabetes is one of the most misunderstood diseases by those that don't have it or have to deal with it on an hourly basis.
I hear all the time, oh you just give yourself a shot and move on.

I would give anything for my daughter to not have to deal with this disease.

And no diabetes does not run in the family, she is the only one.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As the parent of a Type1 diabetic it floors me to see so many Type2 diabetics in today's society.
You have the option to reverse it by simple diet and exercise, so simple, but most out of control diabetes is Type2.

No, Type 2 Diabetes cannot be reversed. It can be controlled through diet and exercise. There is a difference. There is no reversal. Your body doesn't make more insulin or make better use of insulin because you are eating less carbohydrates and exercising regularly. I have Type 2 Diabetes. I have it under control through diet and exercise. This means that if I want to have a root beer float, I can - as long as I have a 2 mile brisk walk scheduled. The same goes for a meal of say... spaghetti carbonara.

Well meaning friends have said to me "But you're not fat and you've always eaten so healthy! How can you have Type 2 diabetes?" For me, it runs in the family. There's also evidence these days, that it can be brought on by over-use / long term use of statins, but yes. Type 2 is also linked to diets that are heavy in carbohydrates - which Asian diets are (all that rice and noodles) - as are the diets of the poor.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I do agree that whie obesity is an agrravating factor, being fat is not a cause of dianetes. Therefore losing weight is not a cure/. Nor is being otherwise healthy a guarantee you are disease free.
I think many people make the mistake that not using medication means you are are cured. Just an addict that is not using is merely a recovering addict a diabetic who controlls his sugar without medication is still a diabetic. In my lay opinion.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

We have used pumps and monitors and they are fantastic, when they work. But the injection sites scar, the lines get pinched or come disconnected while sleeping. They hurt when you put them in. Two 911 calls for us have been from pump malfunctions.

A lot of people think that you just hook up the pump and monitor and you don't have to worry about it anymore, not so much.

She uses the pump as a calculator and does the injections manually, that way when she goes in for her appointments the doctor can down load the readings to help her.

My daughter is not over weight, never has been.

Type 1 is your body stops making insulin.

Type 2 is you body makes it but rejects it.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
I keep up with all the latest research and it's all rather fascinating. The latest is the "Thin outside, fat inside" research for reversing (yes, they think it can be reversed) T2 diabetes - but have not quite yet figured out HOW to lose the inside fat.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151201141231.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/dec/10/medicineandhealth.health

Genes also play an enormous role. 'Our work so far has shown that you can take two men of the same age, with the same BMI [body mass index], and find one with five litres of fat within him and another with two litres,' said Bell, who works at Hammersmith Hospital, west London. 'We've even scanned people who are underweight and found up to seven litres of fat inside them.

'What we don't yet possess is enough information about how different genetic groups store fat. But we do know that you can manipulate the way the body stores it by changing the diet.'

Bottom line : Genetics. They are doing trials right now to figure out the diet bit in order to manipulate the way the body stores it. Hopefully, they will include Women in their studies and trials. That's quite a lack in research in that department.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
My heart goes out to all of you who have a family member with diabetes or you, yourself suffer from it. It is an insidious disease that my sister had her whole life. It finally took her life at age 42 and I miss her deeply.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My heart goes out to all of you who have a family member with diabetes or you, yourself suffer from it. It is an insidious disease that my sister had her whole life. It finally took her life at age 42 and I miss her deeply.
What sadness indeed. My dad had a mild version of it when I lived away from so I don't have any familiarity with it. Having read this thread it has sharply increased my awareness of it. Thank you everyone and hope life compensates with more happiness elsewhere.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you feel bad consistently after eating that is ccause for investigation.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sports Drnks should only be consumed as part of athletic activity. If it is lating for less than an hour, glycogen store should be sufficient. Under no circumstance should the y it be consume as a recreational thirst quencher. Sodas are loaded with sugar. Thdey are routinely sold as part of a fast food meal. One a day shoulld be your limit. If you are thirsty ask fo a cup of water. It is usually free and should be used to quench your thirsf. Get a normal sized drink.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you Amir & Steve. It runs in my family. Gary is keeping his fingers crossed for much later on-set, it only happened with our mother in her late 60s - same with Aunts and Uncles. I'm the unlucky one - or it could have been all the hidden sugars in food here in the US and an over-eager doctor who was increasing my statin dose every quarter that contributed to an early on-set of the disease.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To the extent diabetes is a resistance to insulin caused by excessive ingestion of sugar it is preventable. All carbohydrates count. That includes cane sugar, corn syrup honey and starches.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Portion control-avoiding sugar spikes

A good rule of thumb from this lay person is the rule of 4 ounces. When I was growing up this was the goal orange.jpg steak.jpg

Attachments

• 8ounce soda.jpg
    8ounce soda.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 157

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Double Triple quadruple
Super size
Bottomless
All you can eat buffet with take home option
Fried ice cream
mega sugar
40 oz. beer
Double stuff Oreos
Ben and Jerrys ice cream.
Eating has become a recreational activity. Our food is prepared by others and we have little idea what it contains, We thik the only down side of eating too much sugar is getting fat is tooth decay.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Type 2 can be reversed. But some people are so prone to it, reversal only lasts so long as they manage their life style. Others can consume much greater amounts of carbs so long as they're being healthy, after becoming not diabetic. Often the condition is dependent on how long the person's body was out of control and if the damage is beyond repair at a rate the body can cooperate with.

Insulin sensitivity can be reversed, but for example nerve damage can be so extensive that they're not coming back particularly at the persons age.

Reducing the amount of AGE's in the body helps significantly, but if a persons glycation is on a runaway process it's not easy. And many people's cells are somewhat defunct from a lack of healthy fats so the respond poorly to insulin, and to make matters worse autophagy isn't happening even when they do consume healthy fats because many things interfere with it, such as blood sugar levels and stuff that comes with getting old.

Some people eat pretty healthy, or as healthy as people around them, and gain weight and become diabetic. They may have a disposition or it may be as simple they're eating not only the wrong items for them, but nothing that nurtures their body despite the fact they're told they're eating healthy. Wheat of any kind would be an excellent example because it has a protein in it that binds to insulin receptors, and for some people it bind really damn well. They cut it and they lose weight and feel great despite not being a celiac; and of course they're publicly ridiculed because people that don't understand microflora or cellular binding of proteins tell them it's a bad fad since gluten free foods don't have anymore typical vitamin and minerals in them than regular food (many processed ones have more fat and sugar, too).

Type 1 is awful. It's not well known but reducing things that encourage an imbalance with the immune system for these people will help. You may have noticed some T1's are perfectly healthy except they take insulin, and others die before they're 30... Lifestyle can ruin them just like anyone else, or improve them. It just doesn't yet stop the autoimmune function (although research is not far off).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing