Better Than I Deserve

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Better Than I Deserve PartI

A phrase that is commonly used by Dave Ramsey, and of late something that has been running through my head since I have joined here.

I was last week invited to Steve’s house for yet a third time to listen to his amazing system and his recent changes. Every time I sit in that leather chair I am blown away by what I hear. The changes from my first visit to the second were substantial and large, easy to hear. The changes on this visit consisted mostly of a tube roll and the time period between visits made it hard to pinpoint large differences to my ears. I will say it sounded (to me and my long term loss of short term memory) to be a bit warmer and more full sounding.

This visit I actually put Steve in the chair a treated him to some of my music choices, Genesis Seconds Out from the live box set and Steely Dan Aja on SHM CD. The Seconds Out recording has always been a bit thin, it is a 1976 live recording. This box set remaster is the definitive version of this album. Cannot wait to get my theater back together as it also includes a 5.1 version of the concert. The two channel remix has brought out so much more information than I ever thought possible, nice polish job on that turd. Seconds out is one of those magical moments in a bands history, the more you listen the more you hear and it knocks your socks off.

I don’t really need to say anything about AJA, either it floats your boat and either you love it or you don’t. A masterpiece in my opinion!

Steve being the gracious host that he is had a hard time sitting in the seat while I sat to the side and made me sit back in the sweet spot after the first track (30 minutes).

I also brought my MOFI SACD of Brothers in arms, I had the 20th anniversary on order (now have it) and we compared it to his XRCD version. I have to say for pure impact the XRCD version (to me) was much better. The guitar attack on The Mans Too Strong is amazing in the XRCD. I sensed a bit more low end on the MOFI on the thunder crashes. So now I have the original vinyl, MOFI 45Rpm vinyl. The original cd, the MOFI SACD, the 20th Anniversary Edition and now the XRCD is on the way. The XRCD is definitely much hotter than the others.

As usual we had some great conversation about music and life in general. Conversations included concert experiences, instruments a little band history, some system banter as well as some life direction chit chat. Steve like me is in it for the music experience as much as the system and to me that is 50%, sometimes more, of the total experience, as noted in another thread about my record store experience involving some giant Cerwin Vegas.

Steve has a great outlook on life and I greatly appreciate him inviting some guy he met on the internet into his home to share in some great music and conversation.

Steve thank you for a wonderful time and I can’t wait to get my system set up again. ;)

?
Better Than I Deserve Part II

I was in downtown Seattle peeing in a cup (part of the life direction mentioned above) and I decided to pop in on Gary unannounced and invite him and his partner in crime out for a bite to eat. I had no intention of listening to music at all, just an offer for some nosh.

As soon as I walked in the door the smell of new carpet hit me (I love it) and the place was pretty well torn apart from said new carpet being installed. I found Gary putting his office back together and breaking in some new speakers at a low level while doing it. Carol had her office completely back together and had moved on in life.

Gary politely declined the nosh offer stating he had too much work to do and then proceeded to start playing some vinyl for me. Remembering my love of drums from my last visit was treated to some skins being assaulted at high levels.

Gary has builds some fantastic expensive great sounding kit, has a brilliant mind but in the end is a fantastic person to talk to about music, recording techniques and just the general love of music.

So after some music and conversation my stomach was protesting to the point of overpowering even Gary’s system and I had to leave. Gary and Carol thank you for taking care of me on a grand scale, I appreciate the time you gave me that day.:D

Better Than I Deserve Part III

Visiting Mikes house and having the privilege of listening to those Evolution giants paired perfectly with Dartzeel.

I have commented on his system elsewhere and do not feel the need to repeat myself except that like Steve’s system it’s a phenomenal experience to behold.

My point is, here is a guy that invites me into his home, sight unseen to share in the music experience. We listened to some great music, shared some great Bourbon had some great conversation, met one of his cronies and his kids and otherwise had a fantastic afternoon. We also shared some war stories since we are in the same industry.:eek:

Again thank you Mike for making me feel welcome in your home, I appreciate that very much. That and the Led Zep vinyl box set, amazing stuff.:p

Better Than I Deserve Part IV

The Pacific North West Audio Society.

I was invited to one of their meetings and was welcomed with open arms, no questions asked, ate their food and had some great conversation. I had a chance to speak with Bruce Brown for a bit as well as the others and was treated like I have been a member for a decade.

I have poured a lot of money into the LACOS over the years and could not even tell you the name of any of the members other than Bob Levy and Waldrep.

Not one person has ever even said Hi to me let alone have conversation or visiting one another for some music sessions. They are all in it for the raffle at the end of the meeting.

Looking forward to the next PNWAS meeting.:):cool:

Better Than I Deserve Part V

I have a fantastic opportunity starting tomorrow at Ferrari Maserati of Seattle, super stoked on that one.:D

Summary:

I feel that if I visited any one of you and we never turned a system on, the overall experience at the end of the day would be the same.

Despite all of our differences and points of view on this silly hobby, we can set them aside and enjoy the music experience together.

This is a fantastic little community that has been created, Thank you Steve and Amir.

Now if I could just find one of you knuckleheads to share a good cigar with.;)

The whole Peace Love and Understanding thin again.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
You are so lucky .. here in South Africa real cost no object systems are few and far between and often not demoed in optimum spaces...
Great place for a holiday tho..
As you say , visits tend to highlight our common points of view and how similar most of us are ...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If I ever find myself in South Africa I would love to hear your kit. I have almost pulled the trigger in SVS a couple times, have never heard them paired up to a music system.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The XRCD is definitely much hotter than the others.
Hello Hi-FiGuy, I find it interesting that you say that. Please allow me to digress...it's wonderful to know that you are getting out and hearing different systems and meeting fellow forum members. I hear nothing but great things about all of the gentlemen you met up with and hope to meet them all one day. With that said, the reason I chimed in...you are the first person that I recall ever saying that the XRCD is hotter than the other mixes. Reason I think this way is because I got a bit of heat years back because I had made that comment. I still stand by my statement but I am glad at least one person hears what I hear. It sits collecting dust due to that fact alone (because I have better versions to listen too).

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great report Mike. I could taste some of your enjoyment by reading about it!

BTW, let me know if you are here again (or have you already moved up completely?). I don't have a fancy system like the other people you have visited but love to break bread and listen to some tunes.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
treitz3 Tom

You certainly do not need pages and pages of DNR charts to hear the differences on BIA. :p I finally got my 20th anniversary BIA and it seems to be in-between the two. But that comparison was made on inexpensive headphones, not on a system. I will make more comparisons when I get my XRCD next week. I have some thoughts on which one will win out on being able to listen to the whole thing end to end. I base my opinion on what sounds good to me, not what some chart says.
Which one do you like and why? I am interested in your findings.

Amir

I am here, just flew down for the holiday and to do a addition to a clients AV system for my old boss.

NorthStar Horton

Yes I play Chess, not to Bobby Fischer levels, but I play. Funny you should mention it as I have been thinking about playing some lately.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for that report, Mike!

Yes, making friends from the forum and meeting them in person and enjoying with them the descent into their equipment as well as the ascent into the music is one of the joys of the hobby.

Steve has generously let me visit three times. I look forward to following in your footsteps to Mike and to Gary sometime next year.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
We have a local hifi club , but the members are anal and the meetings are mostly shambolic .. spreadsheets and cheap rubbish equipment shootouts...

Prior to this , we had "social" meetings ., 4 a year , anyone into hifi on our local forum welcome and these were marvellous..listen if you want , wander round , enjoy a barbeque , finger foods , booze , dancing girls etc...

It was great to meet the people on our local forums and put names to them.

At any rate , I have decided to revive this and on the 16th of december , expect round 30-40 people at my place...whether there will be critical listening is debateable as there are a lot of people and only one sweet spot.
Making up a nice list on tidal....
a local hifi club meeting will attract 7-10 people , and I have already reached the almost 40 mark... it shows that the social aspect of this hobby is important.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Which one do you like and why? I am interested in your findings.
Hello again, Hi-FiGuy. You caught me off guard with this question. I have been so busy lately with business, remodeling, renovating and ripping out a bathroom along with normal daily life and family that I actually forgot which version I prefer the most. In fact, I don't believe that I have even listened to that album more than 4 times this entire year (we moved in a year ago). That's unheard of for me as I am a Mark Knopfler fan!

The LP's are still wrapped up in plastic until I get the vinyl rig back up and running again and all of my CD's are finally in the rack but they are in complete disarray. I used to have all of the digital versions side by side with a small colored dot on the side of the jewel case to let me know what format the disc was. That time will come again but the house is my priority right now.

To answer your question, I believe the SACD was the preferred but I think I have a Mo-Fi or other release that might have topped that one. Again, the LP's are still wrapped in plastic so basically I can not honestly answer your question at this moment in time. Please accept my apologies for that.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing