What speakers have most horn-like dynamics?

caesar

May 30, 2010
From what I have heard, MBLs and YGs. I have also heard the biggest Wilsons driven by powerful SS do great with symphonies.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
From what I have heard, MBLs and YGs. I have also heard the biggest Wilsons driven by powerful SS do great with symphonies.

HORNS! None of these speakers are even close to a good horn design.

david

PS. Not saying that they're bad just very different from horn speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPDV

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Went to hear Trios the other day .. was stunned by the dynamics... but also felt under relentless attack
Came home and missed the dynamic aspect on my G1's , but to be honest , I could never live with the trio sound long term (as they were set up)..the dynamics felt unnatural ..no music I have heard sounded like that.
At any rate..if I DID have the space and the Tom , I would set up a 2nd horn based system like the Trios.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
HORNS! None of these speakers are even close to a good horn design.

david

PS. Not saying that they're bad just very different from horn speakers.

Especially some Western Electric horns!

By the way, Rodney, horns can sound right. It's uncommon, but done well they will blow your mind. The downside...prepare to pay!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
From time to time, I have come across some speakers which are dynamic, but none are as dynamic as horns. If you want horn-like dynamics, there is only one way to go - horns.

But since you asked the question, my answer will be: Tannoy Prestige series. This may be a bit of an acquired taste - with the "wrong" amplification, they can sound excessively flabby with a thick, rosy coloration. As a friend once said to me, "they make me feel old". It's the Mercedes E class of speakers - very good, very competent, but instantly adds 20 years to your perceived age. However, with GOOD amplification, these speakers come alive. The thick, rosy coloration never quite goes away, but they are very enjoyable speakers to listen to.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Probably the easiest and most non controversial question on this forum. None.

• Haha
Reactions: JPDV and PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This question is a bit like asking what skinny ass Size Zero supermodel in 2015 best resembles Jayne Mansfield/Marilyn Monroe/Gina Lollobrigida/Sofia Loren

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From time to time, I have come across some speakers which are dynamic, but none are as dynamic as horns. If you want horn-like dynamics, there is only one way to go - horns.

Up until yesterday afternoon, I would have agreed with you.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, so what have you heard?

start looking at high efficiency speakers - doesn't just have to be horns, although that seems to be the forum taste du jour. there is a good thread from two years ago on this subject.

Voxativ, Zu, Tannoy, Shindo, etc. all have big dynamics.

i feel there is a common misperception that a "zillion watts equals dynamics" on low efficiency speakers. Case in point, I went and heard Magico S5s/Vac (on the big 450 monos) followed by Shindo Latours on push/pull 300Bs - in different, but rather large dealer rooms. There was no contest on dynamics- the Shindo was bigger, more dynamic, and much more effortless. Now, tonalities of these speakers is very different as well so its only one criteria. People who love super extended Be treble won't like a Shindo and vice versa.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
start looking at high efficiency speakers - doesn't just have to be horns, although that seems to be the forum taste du jour. there is a good thread from two years ago on this subject.

Voxativ, Zu, Tannoy, Shindo, etc. all have big dynamics.

i feel there is a common misperception that a "zillion watts equals dynamics" on low efficiency speakers. Case in point, I went and heard Magico S5s/Vac (on the big 450 monos) followed by Shindo Latours on push/pull 300Bs - in different, but rather large dealer rooms. There was no contest on dynamics- the Shindo was bigger, more dynamic, and much more effortless. Now, tonalities of these speakers is very different as well so its only one criteria. People who love super extended Be treble won't like a Shindo and vice versa.

Keith

I am with you. I have come to think it is a matter of efficiency.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
High efficiency speakers with large diameter drivers would be the closest to horns, the large diameter drivers are key as the mechanical impedance is closest to a horn.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Went to hear Trios the other day .. was stunned by the dynamics... but also felt under relentless attack
Came home and missed the dynamic aspect on my G1's , but to be honest , I could never live with the trio sound long term (as they were set up)..the dynamics felt unnatural ..no music I have heard sounded like that.
At any rate..if I DID have the space and the Tom , I would set up a 2nd horn based system like the Trios.

Actually, most music is that dynamic, at classical live concerts.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

The YGs have a lot of strengths other speakers don't have. But none of the YG speakers are super dynamic. They aren't horn-like in anyway, IMO. They are sealed cabinet, low efficiency and present a tough load on most amps. I would say only the biggest YGs are dynamic speakers. And even then, one can get the low end to bottom out with some tracks at reasonably loud levels in a decent size room.

I assume you are looking for a very dynamic loudspeaker, but not horns. If that's the case, there are better choices. But nothing can play louder at low distortion like a really good horn speaker with a larger woofer. The problem with some of the more efficient dynamic speakers is the port. Once you've gotten used to hearing accurate bass, any speaker with a port will sound like a speaker with a port. It's very audible to me. Some speakers disguise the port better than others. I would say the vivid port is pretty innocuous. Some manufacturers tune the port so low the group delay is much less audible. For example, one of the biggest let downs for me was the KEF Blade II speakers. They sounded wonderful and then came that ported bass. It sounded so sloppy to me.

I really think the only way to get a speaker to be super dynamic without going horns is for the speaker designer to include a powered woofer and make it big. Even then, the room will probably get in the way of really good bass. For me, external subs has been the answer for a while now. I even got huge dynamics out of the YG anat III studio.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The YGs have a lot of strengths other speakers don't have. But none of the YG speakers are super dynamic. They aren't horn-like in anyway, IMO. They are sealed cabinet, low efficiency and present a tough load on most amps. I would say only the biggest YGs are dynamic speakers. And even then, one can get the low end to bottom out with some tracks at reasonably loud levels in a decent size room.

I assume you are looking for a very dynamic loudspeaker, but not horns. If that's the case, there are better choices. But nothing can play louder at low distortion like a really good horn speaker with a larger woofer. The problem with some of the more efficient dynamic speakers is the port. Once you've gotten used to hearing accurate bass, any speaker with a port will sound like a speaker with a port. It's very audible to me. Some speakers disguise the port better than others. I would say the vivid port is pretty innocuous. Some manufacturers tune the port so low the group delay is much less audible. For example, one of the biggest let downs for me was the KEF Blade II speakers. They sounded wonderful and then came that ported bass. It sounded so sloppy to me.

I really think the only way to get a speaker to be super dynamic without going horns is for the speaker designer to include a powered woofer and make it big. Even then, the room will probably get in the way of really good bass. For me, external subs has been the answer for a while now. I even got huge dynamics out of the YG anat III studio.

That's not a correct generalization WRT ported speakers.

I agree with you about the KEFs, but blaming the port isn't the reality of the situation. Listen to TAD speakers, they are front ported and the bass is a touch overdamped and very "fast"... It's all about implementation, and there are some advantages to ported designs like less distortion at higher volumes because there is far less excursion required vs sealed drivers. DSP should be able to minimize or eliminate group delay issues as well, making for the possibility of a cab that is better than sealed or typical passive ported designs.

Reactions: Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing