Rockport Avior - thoughts and opinion?

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Thoughts on the Rockport Avior?

I first heard them when they were 29,500 and I thought they had good dense imaging. However, now the pricing went up to 33,000?

I heard them three times, 2x they sounded quite good. The 3rd audition was not so impressive but was a different system and was not as engaging to my taste.

I am coming from 802 Diamonds (d2). My values lie in dense PALPABLE imaging and good extension and bass. Imaging has to be realistic, first and foremost however.

I welcome any and all opinions on this, thanks!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have heard the Altair and the Arrakis but not the Avior. But if those are your values I think that, in general, Rockport is a good answer.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks Ron!

My dealer has Aviors. I've heard them dozens of times over the last 2 years. It's a killer good speaker. Really made me think as to wether to get my Altairs or save a pile of $$'s. The Aviors are that good. Like Ron said...your values are right in the Rockport sweet spot.

What's your associated gear? And who is doing the speaker set up? All of that comes into play also...

Good luck !!

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
i have had the Aviors for nearly 3 years in my system. The Aviors were preceded by the Quad 2905s, ML Odsseys and B&W CDM 9NTs in that order. The Aviors come closest to a box speaker without a crossover. The individual drive units blend seamlessly with a coherence which IMHO is unique. Even if I had an unlimited budget and room size, and I don't , there is no other speaker I would rather own. Mated with a pair of REL G1s I have a soundstage and bass response that to my mind equals a 200k speaker system. Even discounting for owner pride/ bias this is one helluva speaker. YMMV

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
i have had the Aviors for nearly 3 years in my system. The Aviors were preceded by the Quad 2905s, ML Odsseys and B&W CDM 9NTs in that order. The Aviors come closest to a box speaker without a crossover. The individual drive units blend seamlessly with a coherence which IMHO is unique. Even if I had an unlimited budget and room size, and I don't , there is no other speaker I would rather own. Mated with a pair of REL G1s I have a soundstage and bass response that to my mind equals a 200k speaker system. Even discounting for owner pride/ bias this is one helluva speaker. YMMV

+1.....I have to agree that the Aviors paired with the REL G1s work magic in my set up. I think the key is amplification. In my view, one tends to underestimate the power required to make them sing based on their benign sensitivity figure. I gathered ( in the Cygnus forum if I am not wrong) that the Aviors actually go down to below 2ohms in impedance at certain lower frequencies, which by any means are a tough load. So one could easily be led to different conclusions based on the amplification.

Cheers

Sujay

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
So the Aviors are hard to amplify?

My digital front end will be upgraded later.. right now it is a cary 306 sacd with digital inputs for a streamer.

My preamp is tube - cary slp-05. Love it.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Let your own ears decide. You have already listened to them on three different occasions. Yes, I ask for opinions, but only if I don't have an opportunity to hear a component on my own. I recall when the Aviors first came out and I just had to hear them. My wife and I listened to the Aviors and decided they weren't for us. There are no absolutes in Audio; therefore you can't discount "your own ears". I don't prefer the Aviors sound, but I surely can understand someone else loving them.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
So the Aviors are hard to amplify?

My digital front end will be upgraded later.. right now it is a cary 306 sacd with digital inputs for a streamer.

My preamp is tube - cary slp-05. Love it.

Hi,

I don't think they are hard to amplify like some panel speakers or MBLs; I think they could present a tricky load and hence high current amps (inducing tubes) would be preferable and will bring out the best in them.

As Pradeep has remarked, the Aviors are remarkably coherent and low distortion speakers. On a head to head with magico S5s, I clearly preferred the Avior by a wide margin. The instruments sound more saturated (not thick) and have weight and presence. So, I would strongly suggest one should audition them with different amplifiers if one has the luxury of doing so....

Cheers

Sujay

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
+1.....I have to agree that the Aviors paired with the REL G1s work magic in my set up. I think the key is amplification. In my view, one tends to underestimate the power required to make them sing based on their benign sensitivity figure. I gathered ( in the Cygnus forum if I am not wrong) that the Aviors actually go down to below 2ohms in impedance at certain lower frequencies, which by any means are a tough load. So one could easily be led to different conclusions based on the amplification.

Cheers

Sujay

Sujay

Sounds like a wonderful combo. G1 + Avior. Wow

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Hi,

I don't think they are hard to amplify like some panel speakers or MBLs; I think they could present a tricky load and hence high current amps (inducing tubes) would be preferable and will bring out the best in them.

As Pradeep has remarked, the Aviors are remarkably coherent and low distortion speakers. On a head to head with magico S5s, I clearly preferred the Avior by a wide margin. The instruments sound more saturated (not thick) and have weight and presence. So, I would strongly suggest one should audition them with different amplifiers if one has the luxury of doing so....

Cheers

Sujay

Sujay

Auditioning with different amps is difficult. I have 3 amps to choose from:

Cary 211FE
Classe M600 monoblocks
Boulder 2060

The Boulder is incoming as we speak so I don't have much experience with it just yet.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Is it true that the Beryllium tweeter in the Rockports can be a little hot?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it true that the Beryllium tweeter in the Rockports can be a little hot?

I was worried about that, as I am very sensitive to any artificial or distracting brightness. With tubes and vinyl on both the Altair and the Arrakis I was relieved that I did not hear any hotness or brightness at all.

Prior to those auditions I surveyed as many people as I could find who have heard Rockport speakers and literally the only criticism I could uncover (and I tried hard) was that two people found them "dark-sounding and overdamped," which definitely does not raise the spectre of a hot tweeter problem -- and that is from people who did not care for the Rockport speakers (and who do like Magicos).

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I was worried about that, as I am very sensitive to any artificial or distracting brightness. With tubes and vinyl on both the Altair and the Arrakis I was relieved that I did not hear any hotness or brightness at all.

Prior to those auditions I surveyed as many people as I could find who have heard Rockport speakers and literally the only criticism I could uncover (and I tried hard) was that two people found them "dark-sounding and overdamped," which definitely does not raise the spectre of a hot tweeter problem -- and that is from people who did not care for the Rockport speakers and who do like Magicos.

Thanks Ron, that sounds convincing. With speakers of this quality and transparency, its always going to depend on the system, but its good to hear they dont bring any disturbing artefacts of their own....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ask PM flyer (Michel) for his opinions, because he had his Aviors in a room full of SMT, with Tenor Audio OTL 350 hybrids, and has now sold them for one of my favorite speakers, Analysis Audio Omega (ribbon magnetostat). I have heard them with both Tenor and Spectral SMA 400, they sounded better with Tenor.

Last edited:

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Sujay

Auditioning with different amps is difficult. I have 3 amps to choose from:

Cary 211FE
Classe M600 monoblocks
Boulder 2060

The Boulder is incoming as we speak so I don't have much experience with it just yet.

Agree, for most of us, auditioning with different amps is difficult. Which is why we feed off others' experiences. I think you can't go wrong with the boulder 2060 or the classe monos.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thoughts on the Rockport Avior?

I first heard them when they were 29,500 and I thought they had good dense imaging. However, now the pricing went up to 33,000?

I heard them three times, 2x they sounded quite good. The 3rd audition was not so impressive but was a different system and was not as engaging to my taste.

I am coming from 802 Diamonds (d2). My values lie in dense PALPABLE imaging and good extension and bass. Imaging has to be realistic, first and foremost however.

I welcome any and all opinions on this, thanks!

I think the retail on the Aviors went up this year. They are closer to US 40k now........

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I think the retail on the Aviors went up this year. They are closer to US 40k now........

I think retail is 32500$.

Unfortunately, my source for a used Avior has dried up with my indecision. The seller was motivated but found another buyer right before we could finalize the transaction details. It would've been a good deal for me.

It was that 3rd audition that kind of ruined it for me and left me indecisive.

On the amp end, I figured the Boulder would get it to sing.

Oh well, the speaker adventure continues.

Thanks for the guidance sujay!

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I think retail is 32500$.

Unfortunately, my source for a used Avior has dried up with my indecision. The seller was motivated but found another buyer right before we could finalize the transaction details. It would've been a good deal for me.

It was that 3rd audition that kind of ruined it for me and left me indecisive.

On the amp end, I figured the Boulder would get it to sing.

Oh well, the speaker adventure continues.

Thanks for the guidance sujay!

Anytime! Aviors do come up in the used mkt. I am sure you will find another deal....or probably another speaker you like more (-:

Good luck....cheers

Sujay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing