speaker choice advice from any who have heard them

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
HI Im new to the forum and am in the middle of trying to upgrade my front speakers. It is a home theater set-up.. but Im not that concerned with the surround performance. 2 channel listening is my main concern, I just dont have the space for 2 systems and my electronics are set already.

so far my system is Marantz av8802A, NAD Master M25, Cambridge Azur 752 disc, VPI Scout (valhalla upgraded arm) dynavector 20x2, edwards mc1 phono stage.

speakers are gallo ref 3 with 3.5 tweeter upgrade.. these are what Im trying to upgrade.

so far the deals available to me are:
Used
Genesis 7.2f ($9000)
Martin logan montis(9000)
3A grand veena (5000)

New Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 $10,000
New Focal sopra2 $15,000

I know the prices are all over the place and like most Id luv to spend $5000 rather than 15, 000 but I also want to make sure im not settling just because of cash.. Like many frustrated music lovers Ive done that too many times. So this time its all out. My budget will go to 15k if it has to.

Im looking fir the best I can afford that brings me into involvement with the music, Im not a resolution above all else listener I want to listen to music not equipment.

I have listened to the Monitor Audio's (pretty good), B&W 804D3 ( hated them ), Focal 1028's ( a bit tubby in the bottom)

The others are not available anywhere near me to audition.

So any and all opinions much appreciated

Cheers
Stu

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing