High End Watches

Alex Plache

Apr 28, 2010
I would suspect nearly everyone looking at this forum knows something about Rolex watches. While Rolex makes excellent watches, there are many other excellent brands, many of which are older brands than Rolex including Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger Lecoultre, IWC, A. Lange and Sohne, Breguet, Blancpain, Omega, Ulysse Nardin, Hublot, Chopard, Corum, Zenith, Breitling, Panerai, Gerard Perregaux, Glashutte, Universal Geneve, Mido, and many others. I would be interested in hearing from others as to what brands and models they own or are interested in. Additionally, wristwatches have been getting progressively larger over the past several years - some say too large. I would also be interested in hearing about the size issue as well.
I would appreciate any comments/further questions.
Thanks.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Welcome Alex and thank you for moderating this forum.

It seems that you have named just about every watch brand I know and then some.

What in your opinion is the best made watch and which watch holds the gold ribbon in your collection

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This seems like a topic that would lend itself to pictures -- love to see some pictures of these watches. I also have a fondness for older watches like Hamilton. Do you get into that kind o' stuff?

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I own relatively pedestrian models from Rolex and Omega. I'm interested in exploring other brands, particularly IWC, Vacheron, and Patek.

While people are critical of Rolex for various reasons, including the brand's popularity, Rolex has an interesting history and there are collectible models in all price ranges. Also, used Rolexes are solid investments and rarely depreciate in value.

This is going to be an interesting forum.

Alex Plache

Apr 28, 2010
With regard to Steve's question, I believe Patek Philippe is still the best watch despite the fact that the company has significantly increased production volume over the past decade. This is debatable, but auction results for both vintage and modern Pateks seem to support this view. Other major brands at the very top include A Lange and Sohne, Breguet and V&C. In my personal opinion both a superior product as well as a true history or corporate longevity are factors to consider in determining what is the best. Moreover, many companies have a range of watches from entry level to prohibitively expensive. Thus a top of the line Vacheron would clearly be better than a basic Patek Philippe. In other words, to some extent there is some correlation between price and quality. At the entry level, Patek is an exceptional product and most of their line includes their own in-house movement. But Chopard also makes an exceptional product - the LUC 1.98 automatic watch which includes an in-house movement of their own design.
For a basic watch, the following models in my collection are, in my opinion, among the best:
Patek 5000 (which contains the 240 automatic movement); Patek 3520d (which contains the 177 ultra-thin manual wind movement which incidentally is not an in-house design); Patek 3445 (which contains the 27-460M automatic movement which some people think is one of the best automatic movements ever made).
With respect to RS Beck's question about Hamiltons, my opinion is that vintage (Pre-1960) Hamiltons are among the best american wristwatches ever made. Moreover, the company made excellent pocket watches including the model 950 (23 jewel) and 992B railroad watch.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I used to have some interesting if not extraordinary watches.. They are no more ... Another collection to rebuild ... I would like to understand what Alex means by "best" in patek Phillipe. I find them fine but hardle impressive .. Liking the like of Breguet an d Lange & Sohne... I tend to go toward the more utilitarian Breitling however .. I find the Rolex overateded . not much to find attractive about them ...
Now I must say being a slim person ( 6'1" and 165 punds) I throughly hate today's watches sizes ... To me they look like big pieces of wall clocks tacked on people wrists .. The whole proportions of watches are skewed in these monstrosities, I hope I am not in the mnority ...

Frantz

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I have a very nice watch that never gets worn anymore since I carry a cell phone. Pity.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
My favorite watch except you cannot read in dim light
Hamiton Ventura, Men in Black watch
http://www.righttime.com/rt/hamilton/wwoldmodels.htm

Not high end but a fun conversation piece
Skagen Unisex Dual Time (SS and Gold in color)
http://www.watchesretailer.com/products/Skagen/index.html

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have no business posting on this thread.....as i know nothing about watches except that my Rolex GMT Master II keeps lousy time. and as i have one expensive hobby god knows i can't afford another.

however; this year at CES i did have dinner with the majordomo of darTZeel, Herve Delatraz, and his cousin and associate at darTZeel, Serge. as they are Swiss, at one point i asked a stupid question about watches. turns out that Serge does know a gentleman from his town who makes watches, wonderful watches. he makes them himself one at a time. i asked Serge approximately how much these watches might set one back. i was then told one does not worry about such things. if you want the watch, you find a way.....i'll have to try that one on my wife sometime for 'effect'.

anyway; here's a link to this guy and info on his watches; his name is Philippe Dufour.

i'll stick to audio crazyness i think.

http://dufourwatches.free.fr/

Serge mentioned that these watches are considered to be at the very top of the heap.

pretty amazing stuff.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like watches but I guess like Mike, Audio sponges up most of my disposable income. As such I've never bought a gold much less platinum watch for myself. What goldies I have are inherited from my Grandpa, a Patek Bracelet and a Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

What you will find on my wrist is usually a Chopard Mille Miglia GMT, a U-Boat, an IWC Portuguese or a Jaeger Lecoultre Aston Martin Commemorative since I can't afford the car :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Have a couple of watchesthough haven't been into watches for a couple of years now.

My favorite is my Panerai with the IWC dual chrono Portugeuse running a close second. And yes the Panerai is a 44 mm watch and having a big wrist helps :) I also have very nice, dress gold case Tudor as well as more commonly warn Tag around. I also have a beautiful '20s military watch whose name escapes me since don't wear it often (in part 'cause not water proof and needs some work now).

FYI, the publisher of Watch Time was a member of my old gym! That has to be the most beautifully laid out magazine!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's it :)

One watch that I've always had my eye, and maybe someday will buy, is Chronoswiss skeleton. I just loved watching (NPI) the watch work!

Alex Plache

Apr 28, 2010
Philippe Dufour makes an exceptional watch; however, his production is so limited that there is a long waiting list for product. Moreover, I think he only makes manual wind watches - no automatics.

Alex Plache

Apr 28, 2010
One fine watch that is not very well known in the United States is Ulysse Nardin. The company is quite old and has made high end watches since 1846 and currently makes some extremely complicated and expensive watches.
Here is a link to a rose gold two time zone watch that is quite interesting:

http://www.ulysse-nardin.ch/en/swis...elo/Michelangelo_UTC_Dual_Time/226-68_42.html

I would be interested in knowing what the forum members think about this watch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing