Heat!!

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I prefer the sound from equipment with tubes but wow the heat is brutal! Great for winter months of listening with a toasty listening room but look out summer. Has anyone ever switched to all SS just to get away from the heat factor?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good evening to you, Marty. To answer your question....Nope. Not ever because of heat, even when the 2 amps were tubed. With that said, I have been in some rooms that were rather....um, uncomfortable due to the heat but that was mostly due to poor ventilation work.

On a personal note completely unrelated to the thread, do you happen to live anywhere near Charlotte, NC?

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I prefer the sound from equipment with tubes but wow the heat is brutal! Great for winter months of listening with a toasty listening room but look out summer. Has anyone ever switched to all SS just to get away from the heat factor?

Not an issue for me anymore. In our new house the main system is in the living room with high ceilings.

Also, I would never own a tube amp with more than 4 power tubes.

What I do is rotate two amps, a Simaudio 7600 and an Audio Research VS55 with KT120s.
I also have a Carver EL84 tube amp I throw in sometimes

In my office, which is smaller, it is solid state all the way.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hehe, never say "never", Andre. It *could* happen one day. It seems IME, that it becomes one of many folks' journey in this hobby....if even only for a short stint along one's journey. ;)

Marty, if you would like to GTG sometime, I am game. It's always nice to have local folks to learn from and share good tunes with.

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hehe, never say "never", Andre. It *could* happen one day. It seems IME, that it becomes one of many folks' journey in this hobby....if even only for a short stint along one's journey. ;)

Marty, if you would like to GTG sometime, I am game. It's always nice to have local folks to learn from and share good tunes with.

Tom

No, in this case, I can really say "never" I don't subscribe to very high powered tube amps... for me personally, they do not make sense.

If I need more than 100 wpc, it is solid state for me.;)

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Tom I think your offer sounds like a wonderful idea. I have learned so much from listening to others systems and sharing notes on new music.

Andre I am with you on tube power amps, 100 watts is more than enough. My issue is my BAT preamp puts out as much heat as the ST100. I think I am going to start cooking on my audio equipment.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Tom I think your offer sounds like a wonderful idea. I have learned so much from listening to others systems and sharing notes on new music.

Andre I am with you on tube power amps, 100 watts is more than enough. My issue is my BAT preamp puts out as much heat as the ST100. I think I am going to start cooking on my audio equipment.

LOL. I hear you.

I now see you list the Rogue ST100 in your system, so you are obviously a man of taste. Hard to believe the preamp gets that hot!!!

You probably won't believe this, but I reviewed the Musical Fidelity M6i solid state integrated amp..it got SO hot, that after ONE hour of being
powered down, I need oven mitts to pick it up. I ain't kidding.

Audiotom

Dec 2, 2015
I have a Doshi Aalap 90 watt pentode set of mono blocks 7 tubes each
4 KT88/EL34 output tubes per side
Subtle, only feel warmth if hovering over the amps

I have Atmaphere MA1s 14o watts. 19 tubes per side
14 6AS7s for the transformerless output stage

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/MA-1

These feel like space heaters

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I thought the heat generated was a function of the wattage and class of operation.
So, wouldn't a tube amp running Class A at X watts produce the same heat as a SS amp
running Class A at X watts :confused:

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
I thought the heat generated was a function of the wattage and class of operation.
So, wouldn't a tube amp running Class A at X watts produce the same heat as a SS amp
running Class A at X watts :confused:

I want to say 'no', partly because tubes need a heater to boil electrons off the anode.

But then I got stuck thinking about the resistance and voltage drop and current flow from anode to cathode - what's getting hot and burning watts and making BTUs there, since it's a vacuum?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think heat from amps is a major factor that a lot of people discount and IMO unwisely so. In my very small room, in the summer months, I actually have been running my tube amp...60watt/ch vs. my large ss amp...250watts/ch. The ss amp ( which is being checked out right now) gives off so much heat, it is like a space heater.
Andre has a great point IMHO. Here in S.Calf the heat can be a real factor, so smaller tube amps are probably a lot wiser.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I know you have VKs nc, my VK-150s were brutal even with an air conditioner running. Same with my ML1.1s. I guess 6c33s are really run hot. Imagine a Fourier OTL!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
VK-150SE's run hot...I was running four of them. :)
Atma-Sphere MA-1's run hot...presently running four of them. :)
Good thing it's winter in our hemisphere! :cool:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I prefer the sound from equipment with tubes but wow the heat is brutal! Great for winter months of listening with a toasty listening room but look out summer.

What I do is walk over to the tubes and then I gently rub my hands together over them.

:p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing