Hi I am considering buying the 7.2f's

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
Hi I am considering buying the 7.2f's and want to make sure I have enough power, and of sufficiently good quality to merit spending that amount of cash. It will be in a home theater set-up, Marantz 8802a, NAD master 25. Any thoughts??

cheers
stu

duh I think I put this in wrong forum first apologies lol its my first day here

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a pair of G7.1f's and am driving them with a Marantz Reference PM_KI-Pearl integrated amp at 90wpc. I have power to spare in my 11x16' room.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi Stu,

I think that you'll have plenty of power with the NAD M25. You'll be very happy - the Marantz/NAD will be of sufficient quality for you to start out. But like Johnny Vinyl, you can upgrade later if you feel the need. The G7f's have sufficient quality to stand you in good stead for quite a few upgrades of the rest of your system. In a home theater setup, though, you should have an external subwoofer for the LFE channel - the G7f's single 8-inch woofer isn't up to T-Rex footfalls and helicopter landings.

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
I have a pair of G7.1f's and am driving them with a Marantz Reference PM_KI-Pearl integrated amp at 90wpc. I have power to spare in my 11x16' room.

thanks good to know, they have to fit into my system as I dont have the luxury of being able to have two systems. I not really that critical when it comes to movie watching, But I want good sound for music so I tried to get reasonably good amp but i worried that I was shooting above my league on the speakers.

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
Hi Stu,

I think that you'll have plenty of power with the NAD M25. You'll be very happy - the Marantz/NAD will be of sufficient quality for you to start out. But like Johnny Vinyl, you can upgrade later if you feel the need. The G7f's have sufficient quality to stand you in good stead for quite a few upgrades of the rest of your system. In a home theater setup, though, you should have an external subwoofer for the LFE channel - the G7f's single 8-inch woofer isn't up to T-Rex footfalls and helicopter landings.

Thanks Gary and no worries on the sub end, I do have a JL sub for all the the movie rumblings. Just wanted to be sure they didnt need a 15k amp to drive them. Like I said to Johnny only have one system to do double duty

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
Hi Stu,

I found a pair of G7.1p on Canuck Audio Mart for $2,200 CDN. I don't know what you have for surrounds, but they may be something of interest to you.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...d-in-absolute-mint-condition-superb-sounding/

Thanks Johnny:D if it was a center I may be interested. my surround setup is ok with me. I have 2 centers ( wharfedale opus tri center or Martin Logan cant remember the model) that i use now depending on the fronts, which at the moment are Gallo ref 3 with the 3.5 tweeter upgrade. I am really just looking to upgrade the fronts but a matching center could be good. I am looking at a few different models but I dont think I should get to far into that in the Genesis forum. I may start a new thread to help me narrow down the search lol as every day it seems there is something new to research. Living in a small town makes it difficult as you never get to audition many brands other than the mass market stuff. For me $8000 + is a very large investment and just trying to get an Idea of what people who have experiance with a particular model think about them. You probably saw the canuck ad for the 7.2f's which is what is driving my interest... have no idea if its a good deal or not. Id like to make my decision in the next week or so.. may have to drive to TO. and check out some of my other choices and go from there.

again thank for the reply any thoughts or opinions much appreciated

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Johnny:D if it was a center I may be interested. my surround setup is ok with me. I have 2 centers ( wharfedale opus tri center or Martin Logan cant remember the model) that i use now depending on the fronts, which at the moment are Gallo ref 3 with the 3.5 tweeter upgrade. I am really just looking to upgrade the fronts but a matching center could be good. I am looking at a few different models but I dont think I should get to far into that in the Genesis forum. I may start a new thread to help me narrow down the search lol as every day it seems there is something new to research. Living in a small town makes it difficult as you never get to audition many brands other than the mass market stuff. For me $8000 + is a very large investment and just trying to get an Idea of what people who have experiance with a particular model think about them. You probably saw the canuck ad for the 7.2f's which is what is driving my interest... have no idea if its a good deal or not. Id like to make my decision in the next week or so.. may have to drive to TO. and check out some of my other choices and go from there.

again thank for the reply any thoughts or opinions much appreciated
Your're welcome Stu! I did not see that ad, but did a search and found it. Based on the current list and that they are a dealer demo pair (probably really mint condition) it seems a reasonable price to ask. I'm sure however you could negotiate it down somewhat if they sense sincerity in your interest. No one likes to hold on to dead inventory so to speak.

Where are you located?

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
Your're welcome Stu! I did not see that ad, but did a search and found it. Based on the current list and that they are a dealer demo pair (probably really mint condition) it seems a reasonable price to ask. I'm sure however you could negotiate it down somewhat if they sense sincerity in your interest. No one likes to hold on to dead inventory so to speak.

Where are you located?

London on. I did open a new thread in speaker forum for other choices. My main goal is to get as good as I can afford that brings involvement in the music..detailed top end without harshness good bottom, great mid ( i do have a JL sub for theater) and of course thats what everyone wants lol..

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
London on.

My best friend and I had 7 days off and we decided to fly to London,On from Montreal and hitchhike back. This is in 1972. Anyway, we landed at the airport and took a cab to downtown, which is where we decided to start from. We ended up in a bar that was a former firehouse or something...details are a bit sketchy as weed was involved. After some lunch and a few beers we met 3 girls and one of them invited us back to her place. As it so happened this girl's parents were out of town and it quickly became party central. People stated to arrive, a huge round table with two water pipes was set up, music was blaring from Daddy's Baycrest console, beer was everywhere and inhibitions were left at the front door. We spent 2 nights there......:D.

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
My best friend and I had 7 days off and we decided to fly to London,On from Montreal and hitchhike back. This is in 1972. Anyway, we landed at the airport and took a cab to downtown, which is where we decided to start from. We ended up in a bar that was a former firehouse or something...details are a bit sketchy as weed was involved. After some lunch and a few beers we met 3 girls and one of them invited us back to her place. As it so happened this girl's parents were out of town and it quickly became party central. People stated to arrive, a huge round table with two water pipes was set up, music was blaring from Daddy's Baycrest console, beer was everywhere and inhibitions were left at the front door. We spent 2 nights there......:D.

:cool: Ahhh the 70's were magical. The old firehall is gone, live music does happen still in a few blues locations.. But the millenials have the most choice these days

stu_n

Nov 29, 2015
oops

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing