Thanksgiving cables

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
What better to do on a Saturday afternoon after Thanksgiving. Build a set of interconnects. I am definitely a hifi miser.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
What better to do on a Saturday afternoon after Thanksgiving. Build a set of interconnects. I am definitely a hifi miser.

Nice cables! What are you using for wire?

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Thanks Blizzard. Twin axial 24gauge stranded silver plated copper with Teflon dielectric. Cardas silver solder. Surplus mil spec cable

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Thanks Blizzard. Twin axial 24gauge stranded silver plated copper with Teflon dielectric. Cardas silver solder. Surplus mil spec cable

No problem. Cool. How do they sound? I'm a big fan of the Furutech PCOCC cable these days. Sounds as smooth as silk to my ears.

Here's a set I recently built

View attachment 23719

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
These really turned out nice Blizzard. I like the clarity and transparency of a silver content cable. I have been using 4 conductor Teflon 20 gauge stranded silver copper wire. For some reason these are better in all areas except bass but they have no time on them either. I will need to try the Furutech cable and see how they sound in my system.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
These really turned out nice Blizzard. I like the clarity and transparency of a silver content cable. I have been using 4 conductor Teflon 20 gauge stranded silver copper wire. For some reason these are better in all areas except bass but they have no time on them either. I will need to try the Furutech cable and see how they sound in my system.

Awesome. The Furutech cable is amazing, but a very close 2nd is the Neotech brand. They both use the same Ohno Continuous Casting Process, and are among the few who do. Several 3rd party OEM cable manufacturers buy their cable from them, put fancy braiding on it, and sell for much more. You can read a bit about it here:

http://www.audiotweak.co.za/items/1306765741-0910.pdf

I'm using the Neotech 3004 UP-OCC copper cable for my speakers. However they just came out with a NEW 3004II, that uses 2 silver plated strands kind of like you have done. The sliver is also made with the Ohno Continuous Casting Process as well.

http://www.neotechcable.com/technology.php

I'll be trying it next. IMO Neotech is one of the best deals in audio. The performance is far above the price level.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard where are you sourcing the Furutech and Neotech bulk cable? Thanks.

From here:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/

Massive sale on this weekend for Black Friday. So if you want some right now is the time. They have every kind of connector imaginable as well as all kinds of cool stuff!

I'm using the FA-220-50 cable and the FP-601 and 602 connectors. However I have built cables with the much cheaper 701/702 connectors and they are very nice for the price. Much better than they look in the pictures. they look plastic, but are solid brass under the paint, and use their Alpha copper conductors.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Bought from these guys before. Strange shopping cart system but great customer service and fast shipping. I just ordered enough of both cables to make a few sets of interconnects. I will post how they sound. Thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Bought from these guys before. Strange shopping cart system but great customer service and fast shipping. I just ordered enough of both cables to make a few sets of interconnects. I will post how they sound. Thanks.

Right on. Make sure you get the 25% off. Sometimes if you don't mention you know, they conveniently forget to deduct it! :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Some very nice cable building in action you two! :)

Yes for the couple minutes it takes to build your own, you save about 200-300% VS retail pre-terminated cables of the same quality.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
For sure. We need more posts/threads like this.

The only problem with educating people with information like this is, you end up getting an uproar of angry audiophiles who paid the 200-300% more for lower quality already. You would think the sensible thing would be to just say "wow! thanks for the awesome tips guys, this information you shared will not only save me money, it will also allow me to experience a higher level of musical enjoyment with future purchases".

However it baffles me why the response is usually the opposite.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I didn't realize DaveC was a Furutech/Neotech dealer. He even has some special silver/gold alloys, and teflon coated silver and copper 26 gauge bulk cable!! Also good prices on the connectors. I think I know where I'll be getting my next bulk cable/connectors :)

His pre-terminated stuff looks beautiful as well. Prices look very reasonable for what you get.

http://www.zenwaveaudio.com/diy-parts/

PS: I've also learned something here about Neotech. I had no idea Furutech was no longer licensed to make the OCC wire anymore:

http://www.zenwaveaudio.com/home-3/667-2/

I'm very impressed with everything I see on this website. No snake oil here, this is the real deal!

Last edited:

Wonner Naus

Oct 28, 2015
USA
Yes for the couple minutes it takes to build your own, you save about 200-300% VS retail pre-terminated cables of the same quality.

Blizzard,

Thank you for all info you have provided in this thread.

Unfortunately, my cable experience is limited to basic electrical wireing. Are you aware of any good tutorials that cover the basics of audio interconnect and speaker cable building? Or is it so foolproof that you just buy the parts and screw them together?

Thanks.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I think Blizzard oversimplified the process of making cables. It isn't hard per say just requires some hand eye dexterity and soldering skills. You can buy connectors and wire that is very inexpensive to start the learning process which the process is, a learned skill.

Blizzard please interject with anything I may have missed.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just a positive comment about partsconnxion here. I used to live 20 minutes from their facility and brought in some cables I wanted re-terminated. Great CS, quick turnaround time and very friendly group of guys! They did an excellent job on the cables as well!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing