Head Cleaner

scooter

Dec 25, 2013
I have been using Head Red and Roll from Precision Motorworks for many years. I just ran out (a bottle lasts a long time) but he has shut down his operation for the time being. What does everyone else use besides isopropyl alcohol?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi,

On metal: reagent grade, anhydrous isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and reagent grade acetone (carefully).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Guess I'm the lone man out. I just use 99% Isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip after "every" reel. Been doing it for decades!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Acetone effectively removes SSS residue.
Don't ask how I know! :eek:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I totally agree! Even if you do not "see" any residue, it will measure down.... so clean heads after every reel & demag after every listening session...

The whole demag question has many different opinions...

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I find there is more noise when making duplicates if the heads are not demag routinely...
before making any recordings or duplicate tapes, I demag & calibrate the machines in that order......a must to get the best performance..

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
but as I ve understood Todor, there is hardly anything on a Studer A80 that gets magnetized at all
my machines does hardly respond top the mag reader....as opposed to A810 or Tascam, Otari etc
best
Leif...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have one....what's the best way to use it ? Hold it away from the head, turn it on...then slowly approach the head without touching it then retreat from the head slowly ? It makes me nervous using that thing.

That's correct

scooter

Dec 25, 2013
Guess I'm the lone man out. I just use 99% Isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip after "every" reel. Been doing it for decades!
I used to use 99% alcohol until I was turned on to head red n roll. I clean heads before each listening session.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I have one....what's the best way to use it ? Hold it away from the head, turn it on...then slowly approach the head without touching it then retreat from the head slowly ? It makes me nervous using that thing.

My Studer tech demonstrated degaussing technique for me, which featured direct contact between the head and plastic (?) tip of the Han-D-Mag probe.
Preceding audio alignment, the entire tape path is degaussed prior to running the cal tape.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing